Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

"clearing Up The Clearcoat Issue"

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-01, 11:36 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy "clearing Up The Clearcoat Issue"

When placing my first Order for ZAINO Car Care Products, I couldn't figure out if my Black Onyx New Car Order had a "Clear Coat" Finish, or a "Regular Paint" Finish, from any information in the Lexus literature, nor the Lexus Web Site. I have just recently come into the information that both the "Black Onyx" and the "Absolutlely Red" are the only Two paint colors that are not finished off with a "Clear Coat" Finish. Instead, these Two Colors ,as opposed to the other Six Paint Finishes, are "Real Paint", and not "Clear Coat Finishes".

I am sure that current SC Owners are aware of this, but for other "Newbe's" like me, when you're ordering New Car Finish Products like ZAINO, that need to be based on the type of Paint Finishes, remember that the "Black Oynx" and the "Absolutely Red" Paints are just that - "Paints", and not "Clear Coats". Hope this can be of service to all new SC Car Owners, interested in perserving and enhancing their New Car Finishes with some of the most advanced Chemical Products available on the Market today, like ZAINO.

"LESXUS SC 430 - THE ULTIMATE LUXURY / PERFORMANCE DRIVING MACHINE!

SOLO-1
Old 11-01-01, 11:56 AM
RodF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you tell where you got the information from? One of my friends contacted the Lexus service department, as well as the paint shop that was working on a black SC 430. Both said conclusively that the black did have clear coat.
Old 11-01-01, 01:11 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Question "CLEAR COAT" VS "REGULAR PAINT" ISSUES

Originally posted by RodF
Can you tell where you got the information from? One of my friends contacted the Lexus service department, as well as the paint shop that was working on a black SC 430. Both said conclusively that the black did have clear coat.
"CONFUSION RULES!"

(1) My Dealership's Salesman told me that all SC Colors EXCEPT the "Black Oynx" and "ABSOLUTLY RED" were Clear Coated, but not those two;

(2) My Dealer's Service Manager said that he wanted to agree with my Salesman, but did not actually know the correct answer, and referred me to their Off-Site Paint / Body Shop Manager;

(3) The Body Shop Manager assured me that ALL Eight if the Lexus SC Colors were, in fact, ALL Clear Coated, and referred me to Lexus Customer Car Care;

(4) The Lexus Customer Car Care 'Technition' indicated that he could not find the answer to this question, in any available data base, Lexus Web Site, nor Literature, as I indicated that I was also not able to ferret out this mysteriuous information from any of those same sources. He promised to check with hus Senior Service Technical Advisor sometime tomorrow, and would give me a call back within 48 hours. When I asked why, with over 12,000 of these New SC Models sold and delivered since march, only One Man in the Western World could be contacted to ask this question to, he apologised and said that there was no one else that could be contacted on this matter, by myself or himself;

(5) Short of calling Lexus over in Japan, I called back my selling Dealer's Parts Department Manager, and he agreed with the Body Shop Managers from here in Indiana, as well as out there in your locale, that my "Black Oynx" and the "Absolutely Red" Paint Colors were Clear Coated. He agreed to try to acquire an enhanced Security Clearance asap, and call Lexus Technical Support in Chicago, to try and secure the correct answer.

In the meantime, I'm sweatting it out to see if I can get the correct answer and plug it into the folks at Zaino, prior to my actual written Order arrives at their door.

What's the Japanese saying for: IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE, WHEN YOU'RE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS!" ?

solo-1
Old 11-01-01, 01:46 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Thumbs up "THE ILLUSION OF CONFUSION!"

"EPILOGE - STAR DATE 11-01-01"..................

I called the Manager of the Local Lexus Off-Site Body / Paint Shop and talked with him in further detail about all of this confusion over the Clear Coat issue, in regard to 'Black Oynx' and 'Ablsoutely Red' Paints. He indicated that from 1992 through 1999, the Lexus Black Finish was not Clear Coated. However, starting in 2000 and continuing through the present time, ALL Lexus (SC 430) Paints are finished with a Clear Coat.

A short time later, the Parts Department Manager of my Selling Dealer called me back to confirm the same information as the Body / Paint Shop Manager had just shared with me, getting his confirmation from both a Lexus Service Tech in Chicago, and a Service Bulleton from the Paint Supplier.

Tearing open the Envelope the THIRD Time to change the Zaino Product Oder for the Clear Coat Polish Product, I resealed it and covered it all up again with more protective tape.

I had originally printed the Mailing address for ZAINO in my own hand writing, and the envelope now has a great deal of Scoth, Electrical, Freezer, and Duct Tape all around the four sides and corners. What do you think Mr. Obvious, could I have any delay in getting this Letter through the Postal Service, and onto ZAINO before the end of the new millenium?

"Frustrated In Fishers!"
Old 11-01-01, 02:02 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Thanks for "clearing" that up.
Old 11-01-01, 04:08 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Unhappy "ZAINO MAIL ORDER MALADY"

Rod - You're Welcome!

I've just sent an E-mail Letter, regarding my Taped ad Re-Taped Up Envelope containing the revised Clear-Coat ZAINO Care Care Product Order for Z-2 / Z-3 / Z-2 Show Car Polish to "Mr. Obvious":

What will the Mail Room at ZAINO think when they recieve my Mail Order Envelope when:

(1) it's unexpected and from someone that they don't know?

(2) It's handwritten and has no Return address or bears one
that they can't readily recognize, or can confirm is
legitimate?

(3) It may be Lopsided, or Lumpy in appearance?

(4) It's sealed with an Excessive amount of Tape that may
include but not be limited to Scotch, Freezer, Electrical,
and / or Duct Tape?

(5) It's marked with restrictive endorsements such
as "Personal" or Confidential" and addressed to the CEO,
COO, or Director or Marketing?

(6) It may have Excessive Postage on it?

:eek:
Old 11-05-01, 10:01 AM
airwalk3r
Driver School Candidate

Default Zaino in IN

I know there's a Zaino distributor in IN that will ship to you. Or you can just zip over there when you pick up your car?

http://www.indycamaro.com/glossboss.htm

I didn't want to have to go through the hassle of filling up the form and mailing a check, so I called these guys and gave them my credit card number. Since I'm in Bloomingon, IN it came pretty quick too.
Old 11-06-01, 06:56 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Thumbs up Re: Zaino in IN

Originally posted by airwalk3r
I know there's a Zaino distributor in IN that will ship to you. Or you can just zip over there when you pick up your car?

http://www.indycamaro.com/glossboss.htm

I didn't want to have to go through the hassle of filling up the form and mailing a check, so I called these guys and gave them my credit card number. Since I'm in Bloomingon, IN it came pretty quick too.
Where did you locate the Zaino Dealer in INDY, through the Yellow Pages?

Just mailed my Order in last week, but I'll rely on the Indy Dealer in the future, once I locate him.

Thanks for the tip!

SOLO-1
Old 04-24-02, 08:24 AM
Eusebio
Driver School Candidate

Default Zaino vs Klasse

I just took delivery of my black / ecru SC430 and I just love it! I've been researching exterior finishing products and came across this forum:

http://autopia-carport.com/forums/sh...ghlight=klasse

It seems for light exterior paints Zaino is the best and for dark colors Klasse excels. Has anyone had experience with this?
Old 04-24-02, 11:04 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default dog gone it!!!

so now I am stuck with the zaino for non-clear coat.... and apparently my absolutely red IS clear-coated.. NO WHAT!!! I guess for $12.95, I'll just have to order a new one... AND my mom's 85 VW Jetta (non-clear coat) is gonna get some zaino!! --LOL
Old 01-05-04, 11:57 AM
1ton
Driver

I know this thread is old, but wanted to clear things up...the black is NOT clear-coated.
Old 01-05-04, 07:46 PM
Zapzu
Driver School Candidate

Default Good Grief! Here we go again...

round and round it goes...
Old 01-05-04, 09:59 PM
dingo
Driver

1Ton:

And you know this how? You "speak" with such authority so you must have knowledge from a special source. What is it about black that makes it not have a clear coat? Why do all of the others have it? What is clear coat anyway?

Last edited by dingo; 01-05-04 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-06-04, 04:43 AM
1ton
Driver

Dingo,

I wanted to clear up this issue because I made the mistake of buying Zaino products for a "clearcoated" black because of this thread. After reading other threads and calling the lexus dealer, it was confirmed that the black is not clearcoated. The reasoning is because clearcoat is basically a clear layer of paint. Lexus decided to leave it off the black onyx because when the "clearcoat" scratches, you see it better because it would be white, therefore on black cars, you would see it more. It is much like a clearcoat on top of nailpolish.

I don't mean to "speak with authority" as if I know everything but I just wanted to help others out that may have read this same thread and bought stuff from Zaino for clearcoated paints. I don't want others to make the same mistake I did.
Old 01-06-04, 06:00 AM
dingo
Driver

Do yourself a favor and call the Lexus help line and ask them. I have asked the guy in charge of the body shop at the local Lex dealer here and he says that all of the colors are clearcoated. Or call a reputable body shop in your area and ask to speak to the owner.

Note the word "clear".

Was the person at the dealership you spoke to a part of their body shop? If it was a salesman then you can forget just about anything they say.

Quick Reply: "clearing Up The Clearcoat Issue"