Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

keyed

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-06, 11:41 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default keyed

not sure if this belongs in here... but my car got keyed today. it's about a foot long scratch on the driver side door. doesn't seem TOO deep... no metal showing. i do see white (primer?) anyways... good news is that my employer might cover the cost of repairing it, but if they don't.. what's the best way to fix this scratch short of having to repaint the entire door??? also if i were to repaint the entire door... what kinda costs am i looking at here? would taking it to a lexus dealer be better than taking it to a local bodyshop??? thanks in advance for any input!
Old 12-23-06, 07:00 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The white you see is clearcoat that's been abraded. Clearcoat is transparent when sprayed, but when scratched, it turns white, so no, you're NOT down to primer.

I have removed (or made visibly better) key marks by wetsanding and polishing. Gotten a few completely out.

Sometimes this can shorten the life of the paint on that panel (because you make it so thin and remove UV) but if you're going to want to repaint it rather than live with the key mark, you have nothing to lose in trying right? You will also have to ask them to blend the texture out a bit because they will be removing all the orange peel in the keyed area, and it will look smooth there vs the factory orange peel on the rest of the panel/car.

Take it to a detailer or a body shop who's willing to wetsand it, with the understanding (on your part) that they can't promise it can be completely removed without breaking through to the basecoat. It's not a DIY if you've never done it, but for someone skilled they can either remove it or make it a lot less visible.

Then , depending on the results, you can decide whether or not you need to visit a paint shop.

Price to repaint?

Guestimate around $300
Old 12-27-06, 10:46 AM
migitymark
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you repaint the door, its going to look like the car was hit there. painters seem to cut corners these days and leave a bad looking finish texture that doesnt match the surrounding area.

If I was buying a used car, (as in when you sell it) id rather see a scratch, or renmants of a scratch than the whole panel painted.