Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Windshield applications?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-06, 02:25 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Windshield applications?

Is Rain-X pretty much the standard? Are there any others that might be better? Does anyone know if water-repellant applications also help prevent scratches, chips, etc.?

e
Old 12-21-06, 06:57 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I swear by it. It is awesome!
Old 12-21-06, 07:47 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

My brother uses Aquapel on his Altima. I've seen it used on a rainy day. This is the kind of stuff where you never need to use your wipers again while driving
Old 12-21-06, 10:01 PM
pardo
Pole Position

I used Klasse-All-In-One on my windshield. Klasse probably has the same effectiveness Compared to rain-x (actually regular wax should do the job just fine..).

I think one application of Klasse lasts six months...
Old 12-25-06, 08:20 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

I use the Klasse AIO as well, I kinda dislike RainX because it does leave residue which is noticeable at night, while Klasse AIO is much better in my opinion.
Old 12-25-06, 08:46 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by darksparkz
I use the Klasse AIO as well, I kinda dislike RainX because it does leave residue which is noticeable at night, while Klasse AIO is much better in my opinion.
Thanks for the tip. Where can you get Klasse?
Old 12-26-06, 06:04 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by darksparkz
I kinda dislike RainX because it does leave residue which is noticeable at night
Agreed. I don't know if I put it on to thick or it's my double coats, but there always seems to be a residue left over.

I have found a way to apply RainX and not have a residue, clean the windows (if needed), apply the rainX and then wash the car. I'm always happy when I do it that way.

How much does Klasse cost?
Old 12-26-06, 04:49 PM
vassey50
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rain X is great, but be careful not to apply it accidentally to plastics, here's another link with info.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+pillar+rain+x
Old 12-26-06, 07:15 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

My $ 0.02

See this:
Waxed windshields are hazardous in the rain.

Allen MJ, Bennett DW.
Indiana University, Division of Optometry, Bloomington 47401.

Seven automobiles were washed and waxed at four car washes. Photographic determinations were made of the glare produced by the wet or dry waxed windshield in a headlight beam. When wet, the waxed windshields scattered three times more light than in the normal human eye. The wet wax scattering was 24.8 times higher than when dry. No wax residues should be permitted on windshields and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration should issue a mandatory windshield cleaning requirement after waxing.
PMID: 1078358 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Some waxes will cause the wipers to skip or chatter. Solvents in some waxes soften and cause the rubber wiper blades to deteriorate faster than normal. Some wax coatings develop smears and streaks as wiper blades rub the wax hindering visibility in wet conditions.

Meguiar's statement on this:
...Meguiar's recommend not to wax your glass windshield. The reason for this is, NXT and other waxes have polishes and other exotic waxes that may make the surface oily. This could lead to visibility and wiper blade issues. Meguiar's at this time does not make any glass windshield treatments or waxes."
Use caution if waxing the front driver-side window on most Lexus vehicles as they now have a permanent water-repellant coating that acts like RainX. Waxing may compromise this coating. Lexus would put this coating on the windshield but they have not found it durable enough to prevent it from being worn away by the wiper blades.

IMO, there is no reason to put wax on glass. Paint needs protection, glass does not. Your windshield will not last longer if you wax it. On glass, wax can only hinder the clarity and perhaps degrade the performance of your wipers.
Old 12-26-06, 07:32 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info.

On a related topic (and discussed in the link posted above), I can personally attest to the fact that the 01+ windshields are not laminated with any special water repellant. After taking a ride on the windshield merry-go-round this past summer, I finally convinced the insurance company to spring for a factory Lexus stamped glass. I don't know if it makes a difference that my windshield says "Lexus" as opposed to "Toyota," but I can say with 100% certainty that there is absolutely positively no water repellant coating on my glass. In the rain, the water runs down the glass and there is no beading at all.

I think it makes a lot more sense that the window is treated with an application after installation (such as Aquapel, as mentioned in the link above).

EDIT -- here's a link with some information on Aquapel on TireRack.com. FWIW, my windshield looks like the one on the right:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...yword=aquapel&

2ND EDIT -- here is a link to ebay with auctions for Aquapel. These auctions look like they're for single-use applications as opposed to a bottle:

http://search.ebay.com/aquapel_W0QQf...fnuZ1QQxpufuZx

3RD EDIT -- nevermind, it looks like what's being sold on TireRack is the same as what's being sold on ebay. Ebay seems cheaper.

4th EDIT -- and here's a link to Aquapel on PPG's web site. Sounds like good stuff.

http://www.ppg.com/gls_aquapel/default.htm

Last edited by e-man; 12-26-06 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-31-06, 01:36 AM
narfy
Lead Lap

i use aquapel, because it's a recommended product by TOYOTA... i get the lot boys at work to apply it... works wonders in vancouver rain... and unlike rainX, your wipers don't streak or chatter...
Old 12-31-06, 07:45 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rain-X does a very good job at repelling rain of the winshield. It's nice to drive and watch the rain drops bead upwards w/o using the wipers. I do hate it when the wipers streak and make noise. Of course I only have to use them when the solution has worn off.
Old 12-31-06, 09:52 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

http://www.autogeek.net/klasse.html

Use code AGO for free shipping.

I usually don't put any on front window, seems too dangerous incase it glares or anything. A small percentage of people use wax on their front windshields, and it works fine for them, so I'll just leave the front alone.

I only do the sides and sometimes the back to have a more smooth feel and water will bead a bit better. That's why I clay the windows sometimes too.
Old 12-31-06, 09:58 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

tried out Rain-X Windshield Wax today - left a 'film' that I had a hard time getting off the windshield. Couldn't really see it from the outside, but once inside the car, it was readilly visible. Never had this problem with the regular Rain-X product before.
Old 01-01-07, 07:29 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EXP_Cougar
tried out Rain-X Windshield Wax today - left a 'film' that I had a hard time getting off the windshield. Couldn't really see it from the outside, but once inside the car, it was readily visible. Never had this problem with the regular Rain-X product before.
I don't think Rain-X has a windshield wax, they do have a paint wax.

http://www.rainx.com/

Originally Posted by narfy
i use aquapel, because it's a recommended product by TOYOTA... i get the lot boys at work to apply it... works wonders in vancouver rain... and unlike rainX, your wipers don't streak or chatter...
I use Rain-X, I don't have any streaking or chatter. Chatter is usually associated with bad wiper blades.

Quick Reply: Windshield applications?