Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Black wax?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-06, 08:43 PM
ssaat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black wax?

hey guys i just have a quick question. I have couple minor scratches on my car, nothing deep or anything. this guy that does detailing and body work at a local dealer told me about a black wax. He said its a wax designed especially for black cars and when u use it, it kinda dyes the scratches and stuff so they arent noticable. he said it can be found at any auto parts shop like autozone and stuff, but when i went to autozone i didnt see anything like that and they said theyve never heard of anything like that. I was wondering if anyone here has heard of something similar?
Old 12-26-06, 06:42 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was the big rage many years ago on the infomercial scene, and the fact you don't see or see about it now should tell you something: trendy/snake oil

I had a relative give me some for Christmas one year (and here I thought they liked me!), and the dye gets on EVERYTHING, including (ruins) towels, your hands, and the kicker is that it does a poor job of hiding scratches. Did I mention it goes away after about a week? Rain and washing the car just puts you back to where you started. Most of us don't want to be doing that every week. The base carrier wax is also poor in durability.

It's one of those things that work well in theory but the execution and practice just fell flat.

There really are no miracle cures in a bottle, it's good 'ole polishing and finessing the paint that will glean the best results.

That all said, I think you SHOULD try things and draw your own conclusions. Problem is, I don't know where you can find it, if at all.

Maybe someone has some they can send you, best of luck!
Old 12-26-06, 10:09 AM
ssaat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol thanks for the heads up... i think ill take your advice and save myself the hassle.
Old 12-26-06, 10:28 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol, i just heard about this not too long ago, but i have yet to see a product like this yet.
Charley