Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

1994 LS400 Clear Coat on leather coming off

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 06:05 PM
2tirefire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 1994 LS400 Clear Coat on leather coming off

I have a 1994 LS400 as mentioned above that the poly coat on the top of the leather is starting to come off in some of the high wear areas, such as the side bolsters on the back seat, and a few places on the front seats. I am wondering if I should be thinking of resealing them with a new poly coat or if it will cause no harm as long as they are treated and kept clean and supple. I currently use LEXOL, but am making the switch to the leatherique products. I also noticed that Leatherique makes a spray on top protectant, is that recommended to restore the top poly coat found on our leather? Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

-Mark
Old 12-27-06, 05:45 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it were my car, I'd definitely want to reseal the poly coat, because the risk is that the color (dye) is now vulberable.

Sweat, abrasion from clothes and cleaners can all remove the color, which is the main reason the manufacturers put the clearcoat on there.

Not difficult to do, I say go for it.

You have more to lose if you don't (re-matching the color and blending it for instance).

Best of luck!
Old 12-27-06, 06:39 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

It may be a stupid question but how do you know if your clear coat is coming off?
Old 12-27-06, 08:25 PM
2tirefire
Driver School Candidate

Guitarman,

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know of any products that I can use to reseal it permanentaly? It seems as though the Leatherique product may be a temporary sealer that only lasts for a certain amount of time. I would like to seal it permanentely since it is only in a few spaces. Please let me know, and thanks in advance.

To the questino above you can see where the poly coat is off by looking directly at the seat in some kind of light such as sunshine and you will see the difference in colors. The coated side will be slightly shiny and the non-coated side will be dull and not shiny nor smooth. I hope that helps. you should be able to tell the difference without a doubt.
Old 12-28-06, 04:57 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Prod...roductid=D9087

There is one of them. FWIW, if you go down to your city's automotive paint/body shop supplier, and tell them what you need, they can hook you up. There's a company caller ' Finishmaster' near me that sells dyes and the clear poly coating as well.

Best to apply with an air brush and small compressor at least. You can brush it on. but it won't look quite as uniform as if it's sprayed.