Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clear Bra go with Ventureshield or 3M???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-07, 12:47 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

AeroTect has both Venture and 3M. The 3M film of today is also different than the 3m films of a few years ago. They reworked the formulation. Talk to AeroTect about the pros and cons of both and make your choice based on the current state of the films.

From what I remember, Venture films are more transparent but takes a little more maintenance to keep up its luster, especially if your car has a clearcoat. The latest 3M film has a clearcoat layer so it matches the car (with clearcoat) better. From my last conversation with AeroTect, if you are an ****, meticulous person who will spend time to wash, wax, detail the car often, or have a part time show car that you will spend a lot of time detailing, then Venture is for you. For those who do not have as much time or do not want to spend that much time yet still protection AND maximum clarity is not a high factor, 3M might be better.

This is not to say Venture is leaps and bounds better than 3M. It is just if you veer one way or another.
Old 01-07-07, 03:21 AM
racinghart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i am going with aerotect too. i already have paint chips all over the front end... i only got 2,000 miles on the car too
Old 01-07-07, 07:05 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neo
AeroTect has both Venture and 3M. The 3M film of today is also different than the 3m films of a few years ago. They reworked the formulation. Talk to AeroTect about the pros and cons of both and make your choice based on the current state of the films.

From what I remember, Venture films are more transparent but takes a little more maintenance to keep up its luster, especially if your car has a clearcoat. The latest 3M film has a clearcoat layer so it matches the car (with clearcoat) better. From my last conversation with AeroTect, if you are an ****, meticulous person who will spend time to wash, wax, detail the car often, or have a part time show car that you will spend a lot of time detailing, then Venture is for you. For those who do not have as much time or do not want to spend that much time yet still protection AND maximum clarity is not a high factor, 3M might be better.

This is not to say Venture is leaps and bounds better than 3M. It is just if you veer one way or another.
FYI Venture has a new clear coated film, came out about 6-8 weeks ago (in distribution) partly for the reason you mentioned.

Some data...
http://www.ventureshield.com/pdf/NEW_VS_SellSht.pdf (funny... guy that did the ferrari did my car)
http://www.ventureshield.com/newpdf/...03M%201204.pdf
http://www.ventureshield.com/newpdf/...%20results.pdf

There's also a few OE tests on the homepage www.ventureshield.com

As you mentioned, folks should weigh the pros and cons, look at it themselves and make a decision.

My experience with 3M was from about 18 months ago, don't think they've changed the formulation since.

Last edited by tazdevl; 01-07-07 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-07-07, 10:15 AM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by tazdevl
FYI Venture has a new clear coated film, came out about 6-8 weeks ago (in distribution) partly for the reason you mentioned.
Thanks for the update. This is why you should always talk to a good installer before making a decision. While previous experience is great and is a valid data point, we don't work with the material everyday so don't have a reason to continually update ourselves on the status of the industry. It is great that Venture has given us another choice.

Bottomline - talk to AeroTect (if that is where you are going).

In CA, it is a pretty clear choice. Socal = AeroTect, NorCal = Premier.
Old 01-07-07, 12:44 PM
Wish
Pole Position

What about ClearShild from SolarGard??
Old 01-07-07, 01:43 PM
Tuxlex
Driver

Here is a picture of my 3M clear bra installed last spring.
You can see a lot of orange peel. That is why I did not want
it my hood. If you have a white car, you will see yellowing
as well. Next time I'll go with Venture.
The installer said that it would smooth out after a month of
being in the sun but it never did.
Old 01-08-07, 11:18 AM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by Tuxlex
Here is a picture of my 3M clear bra installed last spring.
You can see a lot of orange peel. That is why I did not want
it my hood.
Maybe they used the old film?
Mine definitely does not look like that.
Old 01-08-07, 05:17 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Has anyone installed either of the product on their own?. Is it difficult to DIY?. Will it void the warranty by manufactures (of clear bra)?.
Old 01-08-07, 07:58 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I watched the guys do my install and I definitely would not have tried it myself.
Old 01-12-07, 11:11 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

3M Aerospace is better than >>>>Venture >>>>>> which is better than 3M Automotive.
I have 3M Aerospace and it's perfect.
Old 01-16-07, 10:12 AM
Wish
Pole Position

I went with venture shield .. since it's better then M3 in many ways.
my car will be ready to pickup tommorow
Old 01-17-07, 12:10 AM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Had 3M installed on my car for a great deal. The guy who installed mine actually works at one of the lexus dealerships. he's done lots of benzs, bmws and even ferraris so I defintely trust his work...anyways, im soo glad i got it installed on my new car cause my other lex has rock chips all over the hood =[

3M Pictures here.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=clear+bra
Old 01-18-07, 03:24 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

I chose Ventureshield and no complaints here.
Old 01-21-07, 09:24 PM
Sardian
Driver School Candidate

I had the 3M done on my ES350 about a month ago. I have no complaints. I actually found an authorized installer on the 3M site that is nearest to me and it it turned out that he is the installer at the Lexus place I bought my car.

I had the entire front bumper, about 1/3rd of hood, front edge of front fenders, mirrors, and inside door handles done.

From most angles it looks like the first photo, and the 2nd photo shows the actual line down the side.

Old 02-02-07, 11:59 PM
tnedator
Driver

Originally Posted by Sardian
I had the 3M done on my ES350 about a month ago. I have no complaints. I actually found an authorized installer on the 3M site that is nearest to me and it it turned out that he is the installer at the Lexus place I bought my car.

I had the entire front bumper, about 1/3rd of hood, front edge of front fenders, mirrors, and inside door handles done.

From most angles it looks like the first photo, and the 2nd photo shows the actual line down the side.
Well, I have taken the plunge on my wife's car. Dropped her Ruby Red ES350 off at the shop tonight, where they were going to prep it for an install of 3M film tomorrow. I decided to spring for the extra dollars of getting the whole hood and side fenders done. Basically, everything forward of the doors + the mirrors will be covered.

Hope it turns out well.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra go with Ventureshield or 3M???