Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

This weather sucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 09:03 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Default This weather sucks

Ice everywhere and temp's below freezing. Of course they are covering the roads with salt . I've been taking my LX to the local car wash every other day getting the complete wash with bottom blast. Don't know what more I can do to keep the salt off and keep rust from setting in. Also having my whole ride detailed and waxed every quarter. What are you other guys doing if you live in the ice storm/ snow storm areas?
Old 01-17-07, 10:15 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hang in there bro...Or you could just move to cali
Old 01-18-07, 06:06 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

LOL... I used to hate those Wisconsin winters. Now I spends my winters in Cape Coral, FL. This weeks temps, like the last two weeks before it, are in the 80's every day until Saturday when the cold front comes through and drops the temps to 77. Guess I'll have to break out a sweatshirt. LOL

I can't tell you how nice it is to spend winters in tee-shirts and shorts.

I'll be thinking of you guys as I swim in the pool later today.

Old 01-18-07, 06:53 AM
vborder
Lead Lap

HAHA! Rub it in, why don't you I wish i was there, maybe one day when i hit the lottery
Old 01-18-07, 09:34 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by vborder
HAHA! Rub it in, why don't you I wish i was there, maybe one day when i hit the lottery
I didn't hit the lottery but I did detail cars on the side for 45 years.
Old 01-18-07, 09:59 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
Ice everywhere and temp's below freezing. Of course they are covering the roads with salt . I've been taking my LX to the local car wash every other day getting the complete wash with bottom blast. Don't know what more I can do to keep the salt off and keep rust from setting in. Also having my whole ride detailed and waxed every quarter. What are you other guys doing if you live in the ice storm/ snow storm areas?
What else can you do but just keep trying to wash the salt off until the weather changes for the better.
I live in western Canada. Our winters here are typically very mild with just the occasional snowfall. However, this winter (so far) we've experienced some very EXTREME conditions. In the last 6 weeks or so, we've had numerous wind storms with near hurricane level gusts causing major power outages and damage to homes; severe rain storms causing major flooding; more snow has fallen in the last month than in the previous 4 winters combined; the temperatures have dropped to sub-zero for days at a time with bone chilling winds. And in central/eastern Canada where they usually get what we are getting now, they are out golfing in t-shirts and shorts and 1,300 ski resort employees had to be laid-off due to NO SNOW! ...WTF!
Today we had more snow in the morning, to be followed by heavy rains this afternoon. At least when it rains the salt gets washed off the roads...eventually.
That pool looks mighty inviting about now, jfelbab !
Old 01-18-07, 01:28 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

I hit the super wash about every other day when the temp is not freezing.
Right now, there is salt and sand on the road so even if I did wash it off, the moment I went back out on the road, my car would look like I never did clean it. It is hard to keep clean when you do not have a garage. Water freezes up on the car and makes it hard to open up the doors, trunk, gas door. If I had covered parking, the water would not have a chance to freeze up. Gotta keep that salt off though. Harsh on the finish, especially under the fenders.
Old 01-18-07, 03:00 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by Lexucan
...That pool looks mighty inviting about now, jfelbab !
As nice as it is to enjoy the pool every day I have to say one of the things I appreciate the most is the ability to keep my car clean day after day all winter long here in southern Florida. I can only tell you how much I hated Wisconsin winters, the salt and dingy, dirty, slop I had to drive in. Now that I'm retired, I can treat my car properly. I love driving a clean, properly detailed car. Now I can do it all year round. Retirement is a great thing.
Old 01-19-07, 09:19 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Now that I'm retired, I can treat my car properly. I love driving a clean, properly detailed car. Now I can do it all year round. Retirement is a great thing.
Yes, if you have interests to keep you active and engaged, it should be a great time of life. Not there yet myself, but will be in the next decade and a half or so. BTW, I clicked on your music link....some impressive stuff!
Now I'm off to the carwash (again) to get the latest layers of winter sludge cleaned off the car....lol
Old 01-21-07, 10:58 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I'll be thinking of you guys as I swim in the pool later today.
Yeah, rub it in. Be sure to check the pool for gators before jumping in. They do come up from the canal you know.

Also be careful when you take a nap in the yard, or fetch for your slippers at night...