Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

NOOOOOO!!! My paint looks old now. What should I do????

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 02:31 PM
westcoast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOOOOOO!!! My paint looks old now. What should I do????

I let my parents take an out of state trip with my Obsidian '07 IS350 that I got 3 months ago, and they wiped down the entire car with wet towels to get all of the dirt off. I got my car back, washed it, and now I can see ALL of the scratches and swirl marks on my paint. I can barely see my reflection on the paint, when before it was like a mirror. What are my options??
Old 01-22-07, 02:35 PM
JasonC
Pole Position

take it to a pro detailer and let him buff it out. Or if ur good w/ this stuff, do it urself w/ a buffer.
Old 01-22-07, 02:39 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Count yourself lucky. My dad takes a dry towel/rag sitting on a shelf in the garage and does the same thing! When I try to show him the results of his handiwork, he says I did it and that I'm trying to blame it on him.

Hopefully, the scratches aren't too deep. If you can't feel any grooves with your fingernail, you'll be fine.
Old 01-22-07, 02:41 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

never let your parents use your car again
Old 01-22-07, 02:46 PM
GNN60GT500
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.enterprise.com
www.hertz.com
www.alamo.com
www.budget.com
www.avis.com
Old 01-22-07, 02:48 PM
westcoast
Driver School Candidate

Ok, what are my options for getting my car looking like new again? I don't care how much I have to pay or whatever. The detailer thing sounds good. I just need to find one, and hope they can do something.
Old 01-22-07, 02:49 PM
StanISlove
Driver School Candidate

Ahahhahaah. You forgot www.dollarcar.com
Old 01-22-07, 02:51 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by westcoast
Ok, what are my options for getting my car looking like new again? I don't care how much I have to pay or whatever. The detailer thing sounds good. I just need to find one, and hope they can do something.
Polish, wax, etc is only a temporary solution to fill in the marks. Those may help it look new, but only until they wear off, then you have to do it again. Either new paint or new car.
Old 01-22-07, 02:54 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd get on the detailing sub-forum and see if anyone can recommend a place near you. As with anything, there are good detail shops and then there are bad ones. You might also try autopia.org.
Old 01-22-07, 02:56 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Polish, wax, etc is only a temporary solution to fill in the marks. Those may help it look new, but only until they wear off, then you have to do it again. Either new paint or new car.
Not entirely true. Depending on the depth of the scratches they can be fully buffed out with appropriate compound and a random orbital (or true orbital used only by a professional).

Moving this to the detail forum
Old 01-22-07, 02:58 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Depends on how deep the scratches are. A buffer in the hands of the right pro can work miracles.
Old 01-22-07, 03:00 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good detailer will probably be able to get those out pretty easy with a buffer. I've been amazed at what my detail guy has been able to do.

BTW, What did you do with your parent's bodies?
Old 01-22-07, 03:28 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

I let my parents take an out of state trip with my Obsidian '07 IS350 that I got 3 months ago, and they wiped down the entire car with wet towels to get all of the dirt off. I got my car back, washed it, and now I can see ALL of the scratches and swirl marks on my paint. I can barely see my reflection on the paint, when before it was like a mirror. What are my options??
I would highly recommend taking it to a professional (NOT YOUR DEALER). A good buffer (porter cable) with the right product and pads can and do work great for your situation. Since you obviously have little to no experience with a buffer, I would not suggest that you use your IS350 as a test canvas to figure out "how to". A pro will have the right products and will know how to use the least abrasive yet effective combo of pads and polish (compound). Correct pads are very important part of the process!! A pro will charge you anywhere from $100-$200 depending on how much of the car is really f**** up. BTW let me get this straight. They used damp towels to wipe off your dirty car with no hose? If so, I would imagine that your entire car has a really bad case of the swirlies Probably closer to $200 then.

I would tell you not to expect it to ever look as good as it did before the unfortunate towel incedent. But, I can tell you that a pro will get it so others won't be able to tell. You always will however.
Old 01-22-07, 03:33 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Depends on how deep the scratches are. A buffer in the hands of the right pro can work miracles.
Buffing might look good, but it is not filling in the marks, it's only REMOVING clear coat or paint (down to the depth of the scratch). You can only buff so many times until you need new paint.
Old 01-22-07, 06:27 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats the problem with black cars. they look great when they are clean adn polished.....until it gets dirty and old.

Quick Reply: NOOOOOO!!! My paint looks old now. What should I do????