Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

5 Star Shine paint treatment instead of wax?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 03:23 PM
hrthrb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 Star Shine paint treatment instead of wax?

Anyone ever used this stuff or even heard of it? Claims to be good for five years without dulling, and won't harm paint. I have a one month old GS450h, Black Sappihre, and I want to be sure to put the best thing possible on it when the third month rolls around and it's time to protect that gorgeous paint. Any ideas on this stuff or something else that's better? Thanks!
Old 01-22-07, 03:56 PM
Corsa999
Driver School Candidate

I've never heard of it. Definitely check out the detailing sections on multiple car forums (here, BMW, Audi, MB forums) to see what people like and what they say works. Again, I've never heard of this "5 Star Shine" treatment so it could be great...but why take the chance on your new car? I believe the website www.autopia.org is a dedicated car detailing forum and can provide you with some good products to try. When I read that your car was Black Sapphire it made me cringe to think what a poor product could do to that paint. I've seen several people have very good luck with synthetic wax systems. After reading a lot about detailing I thing the most important part of detailing is paint preparation (wash with dish soap first and use a claybar w/lubricant). A great detailing job is going to take multiple steps and a lot of prep work, just be careful with your new black car.
Old 01-22-07, 04:07 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

There is no such thing as a 5 year paint sealant; the product will need to be re-applied every 6-12 months at most. Going to Autopia.org and searching is your best bet for multiple opinions on dealer paint treatments. Cheers.
Old 01-22-07, 08:17 PM
hrthrb
Driver School Candidate

Geez, a wealth of info at Autopia.org. Thanks for the recommendations of it. I have some searching to do to find the products now. Any idea where one can buy Sonus products?
Thanks. And my GS450h thanks you, too.
Old 01-23-07, 06:35 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

You really need to ask yourself..."Do I really want to purchase products from a company who makes absurd and misleading claims to sell their product?" As picus has stated, "No wax or sealant will last for 5 years."