Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Illegal to wash my car on street!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07 | 06:45 AM
jfelbab

Next thing you know they will prohibit parking on the street when it rains since that same dirt, oil and grease will run off then too.

Where I live most of the storm drains are treated before being discharged in the streams or lakes.

This law seems like it's source could be traced back to the automatic car wash lobbiests.

Why is it that most of the local government loonies in office are from CA. Is it something in the air or the water there?
Old 01-29-07 | 09:42 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Where I live most of the storm drains are treated before being discharged in the streams or lakes.
Not so. At best there's a grille to pick up debris and trash, but storm drain water isn't biologically nor chemically treated like sewage. Generally "upstream" states like Colorado have better clean water regulations than "downstream" states like California. After all, you guys drink what we "discharge". So the next time you take a shower or drink a glass of water, remember that it may have received my "blessing".

There's no ban in my town, but it actually costs more money to wash the car at home (garden hose, not the two bucket method.) And it's a ritzy hood. So nobody does it at home.

I personally prefer automated car wash. Just drive right through on my way home, no fuss, no mess, takes only one minute. Drive three miles home and my brake is dry.

I do my own waxing though. Don't trust detail shops, and not ritzy enough to pay $200 for it.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 01-29-07 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-30-07 | 06:01 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Not so. At best there's a grille to pick up debris and trash, but storm drain water isn't biologically nor chemically treated like sewage...
Very much so. My city built a huge underground tunnel to hold the storm water for later treatment so as not to overload the treatment plant. Of course our city has also a combined storm and septic system.
Old 01-31-07 | 09:37 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Very much so. My city built a huge underground tunnel to hold the storm water for later treatment so as not to overload the treatment plant. Of course our city has also a combined storm and septic system.
That's responsible city planning.
Old 02-01-07 | 07:53 PM
cwazyguy22
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of the replies guys, I might have missed it, but I don't think anyone mentioned if the auto wash would leave swirl marks on a white/GFM car?
I would rather have someone else do it, within reason of cost. But I won't use the auto wash at the expense of my car's paint. Ideas?
Thanks!
Old 02-02-07 | 02:23 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

I live in Alhambra and I have never heard of that law. I see people washing their cars on the street all the time. I wash mine on the outer part of my driveway so the water goes into the street. I have been doing it for almost 10 years and no issues. You can checkout the self car wash on Valley. I think its before Shakeys if you are heading west from Atlantic. If you want someone pretty local to completely detail your car then shoot me a pm.