Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Polishing the lips of my wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-07 | 04:49 AM
kino1161OL
Rookie

Default Polishing the lips of my wheels

I have a pair of the Enkei Aegis and the lips now look HORRIBLE! I am assuming the clear coat has come off the lips. What can I do to remedy this? I can't really find any shops around here that can fix my wheels. Can I do something myself? Is there anything I can buy and apply myself? Any options have? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-31-07 | 05:59 AM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Try Never Dull! It is a chrome and metal polish! I love the stuff and its like 5 bucks for a tin of it!
Old 01-31-07 | 06:52 AM
kino1161OL
Rookie

TRULUX,
I'm sorry. I've tried NeverDull, Chrome Polish, Brasso, etc. Maybe someone on here has expereinced this and knows something I can use.
Old 01-31-07 | 08:34 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

clearcoat coming off??? how old are the wheels???

if standard waxes and wheel polishes won't work to fix your clearcoat problem, there are places that will remove the clear coat and leave with with bare aluminum that is polishable and any time you need to clean them up, it's just a matter of getting some aluminum polish...
Old 02-01-07 | 03:47 AM
kino1161OL
Rookie

The wheels are probably 6-8 years old. It does seem the clearcoat has come off. I was just trying to see if there was a way for me to do it myself.
Old 02-01-07 | 07:15 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by kino1161OL
The wheels are probably 6-8 years old. It does seem the clearcoat has come off. I was just trying to see if there was a way for me to do it myself.
you can... same process for removing paint from aluminum... sand paper...

I'm not a sanding expert, so search for paint removal off aluminum... once you get to bare metal, you'll have to start polishing...

have fun...
Old 02-01-07 | 07:32 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I've used Mother's billet polish with good results on my HRE lips. I've also read positive postings here about the Mother's Powerball polisher. I've bought it but have not used it yet.
Old 02-01-07 | 08:21 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I've used Mother's billet polish with good results on my HRE lips. I've also read positive postings here about the Mother's Powerball polisher. I've bought it but have not used it yet.
Keep in mind that on his wheels, he has a clear coat - you care for the clearcoat on wheels the same way you care for the clearcoat on paint - soap and water, maybe some wax (nothing abrasive)

Now, once he gets the clear coat off and gets down to bare aluminum, then those will work fine...
Old 02-01-07 | 08:22 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Keep in mind that on his wheels, he has a clear coat - you care for the clearcoat on wheels the same way you care for the clearcoat on paint - soap and water, maybe some wax (nothing abrasive)

Now, once he gets the clear coat off and gets down to bare aluminum, then those will work fine...
Right, I'm assuming his clear coat is worn off
Old 02-01-07 | 09:54 AM
kino1161OL
Rookie

So, I just get some sand paper and start rubbing? What grit? I have no idea what or how to do this. Can someone tell me what steps I need to take and what to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DaveGS4,

Will the Mother's help with clearcoat removal?
Old 02-22-07 | 07:17 AM
blueflame
Rookie

Default wheels

I suggest you call fix a rim .com for them to fix your wheels for you. If you do not know how to sand or what sand paper to use etc do not try this yourself you are only in for more trouble and probably will end up damaging you wheels even greater. But I have to say that if Never Dull does not work on the clear coat of your wheels they it needs to come off or be replaced or the lips of the wheels redipped cause Neverdull is the best product out there for damaged chrome and aluminum that I have used. Also if you do decide to take the clear coat off the wheels and dont put another coat on make sure that your wheels are cool when you wash them and dry them immediately or the wheels will become spotty and if you go through a car wash with them the spots may stick and you will need a professional to take it out which is just not worth the trouble on a pair of wheels six years old. That advice comes from experience of letting a lexus dealership wash my brand new set of wheels on the car when i brought it in for oil change not a good situation it cost them like 200 bucks to have a detail guy get them clean and me another 350 to have the lips dipped in chrome and clear coated as they where just polished aluminum. My advice would be to have a professional do the work and there are professionals out there in every state I know you are from VA you should try a town like Virginia Beach or in the hampton area I have scene a few shops around there and someone is bound to know how to fix your wheel problem.
Old 02-23-07 | 04:59 AM
kino1161OL
Rookie

Thanks, everyone!
Old 02-23-07 | 07:24 AM
ChuH
Instructor

A couple of weeks ago I refinish one of my Lowenhart rim also. After 6 years of usages the clear coat on the machined portion and silver paint on the center were coming off and the lips were getting cloudy. I got some aircraft paint remover and remove the paint on the center part of the rim and tried to remove the clear coat on the lips. The center part came off easy after 3 removal process. The clear coat on the lips never came off. Don't know if the lips were clear coated in the first place or if it is some type of resistant clear coating. I end up using sand paper method. Started with 320 grit then move to 600 then 1000. After that I use some polishing compound with polish wheel on a drill to remove the scratches (http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...ProductID=951). I painted the center silver with some high temp silver paint and clear coat. My rim now looks a whole lot better. It took me 2 days for the whole process for the 1st rim. I am going to do the other 3 rims each weekend. I followed the instruction I found on the internet. (http://turbobricks.com/mods.php?content=art0030) The final result is a whole lot better than seeing the cloudy lips and oxidized center with peeling clear coats.

Chu...
Old 02-26-07 | 04:50 AM
kino1161OL
Rookie

CChuh,

Did you use that eastwoodco kit? Any pics?
Old 02-26-07 | 06:00 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Originally Posted by kino1161OL
CChuh,

Did you use that eastwoodco kit? Any pics?
Yes. I used the Eastwood kit. I will take some pictures of problems with the other unrefinished rims compare to the one I refinished on my next car wash this weekend. The pictures in the turbobricks.com site is very similar to the problem I have on mine (http://turbobricks.com/mods/img/art0030_img007.jpg). The hard oxidization on the polished lip after the sanding and polishing process is 100% better.

Chu...