Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Can't Remove Hard Water Spots From My GS300

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-07, 08:57 PM
box
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't Remove Hard Water Spots From My GS300

A couple days ago I went outside and there were hard water marks all over my car. I took my car to the car wash today and the water mark spots wont come off! Ive tried scrubbing with a microfiber cloth and water. The spots are all over the trunk, roof and hood. I hope my paint isnt ruined. Anyone ever experience this? How can I get rid of these spots.
Old 02-05-07, 09:19 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

when that happened to my car i just hand buffed in some 3m rubbing compound from wal-mart. Make sure you get the plain one w/ out carnuba wax. Its better. Trust me I bought both.
It should only be about $5-$7
Takes less effort than wax too.
hope this helps.
Old 02-05-07, 09:19 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

You can also try claybar'ing the car. It always works wonders!
Old 02-05-07, 09:24 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i read somewhere if you mix vinegar with water it'll get those water spots right out. something about the vinegar dissolving the salt in the water spot.

anyone heard of the same or did i just dream this up?
Old 02-05-07, 09:45 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cliffud
i read somewhere if you mix vinegar with water it'll get those water spots right out. something about the vinegar dissolving the salt in the water spot.

anyone heard of the same or did i just dream this up?
Yeah that works, I don't know the ratio to mix up the vinegar and water though lol. I'll look it up.
Old 02-05-07, 09:49 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

Taken from http://autopia-carcare.com/inf-paint-polish-clinic.html:

The same water you use to bathe your car can also damage your car's paint. The spots and damage are caused by the minerals in the water. When water evaporates off of your car's paint, it leaves behind the trace elements it contains. Calcium and metals are the most damaging ingredients found in your tap water. Rainwater may contain damaging acids from air pollutants.

Getting rid of water spots is easy if you chase after them. The best solution is to use a quick detailing spray after you wash, or as soon as you discover the spots (i.e., when your neighbor's sprinkler gets you).

If the spots are allowed to dry and bake on, they will attach to and harden on your paint. When this happens, you need to use a mild acid to get them loose. Believe it or not, the best acid is also the least expensive and most available: a gallon jug of distilled white vinegar.

Expert car detailers have known this secret for years. If you take your car to a pro, they will tell you about the "magic acid bath" and charge you $60 or more for the pleasure of smelling like a pickle. Save the $60. Put on some gloves and get to it.

To give your car the magic acid bath, first wash your car with your normal car shampoo, rinse, and then use the distilled vinegar. Just wipe it on with a sponge, and rub it in. Do one section at a time. Let it sit 30 to 60 seconds, and then rinse. When you're done, wash the car again with shampoo, and then rinse. By the way, vinegar will remove your wax, so be prepared to re-wax your car after the vinegar treatment.

If water spots are allowed to stay for more than a week or so, the minerals will etch the paint. In this case, using vinegar will remove the mineral spots, but the paint will have etched spots (dimples). It is necessary to use a polish or mild polishing compound to restore the paint surface.
i guess there is no special ratio then lol.
Old 02-05-07, 10:22 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thanks! thats probably way easier than buffing! those water marks kill me.
Old 02-06-07, 06:23 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vinegar is a mild acetic acid, and will inasmuch remove the mineral deposits if they're fresh.

If the deposits have had enough time to sit and sun bake, there's a possibility that they have etched the clear.

If the vinegar works, you're fine, if it doesn't, you've got etching and it's likely that only some polishing compound will remove the marks.

Always worth the try though, good luck.
Old 02-06-07, 06:28 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Well I always use a spray wax generally right after the sprinklers hit my ES.. I've also used the scratch X and the spots come right off... I've even used a mild rubbing compound and that helps as well.. GL.. Those spot are a pain in the AZZ....
Old 02-06-07, 01:13 PM
cino135
Driver

Originally Posted by box
A couple days ago I went outside and there were hard water marks all over my car. I took my car to the car wash today and the water mark spots wont come off! Ive tried scrubbing with a microfiber cloth and water. The spots are all over the trunk, roof and hood. I hope my paint isnt ruined. Anyone ever experience this? How can I get rid of these spots.
just a guess, black car?