Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best Detail Clay - and where to get it??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-07, 08:52 PM
OBXTucker
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Detail Clay - and where to get it??

Just getting into detailing with a Clay Bar and LOVE it! What a difference! I got a small bar in a box of Meguairs detail kit - but obviously that one's not going to last!

What's the best Detail Bar around for the $$ ?
Who sells them? (I'm an internet junkie, but don't mind running to the local auto supply retailer!).

TIA
Old 02-06-07, 09:01 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

I have read on some detailing forums before that there are only one or a few companies that actually manufacture the clay, and that they send it out to different detailing companies that put their names on it. Some people say that it is true and buy large volumes of clay on ebay for cheap prices. I've never tried other clay besides meguiars, but I know theirs work good.

Anyways, meguiars sells a 200g tub of clay.

http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-auto-de...ling-Clay-Mild
Old 02-06-07, 09:05 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

It really depends what you define as best. What type of contaminants are you trying to remove from the paint? There are different grades or coarsenesses of clay so depending on what your application(i.e. old car) I would recommend accordingly.
If your looking for a good universal bar pinnacle ultra poly does a nice job
Old 02-06-07, 09:11 PM
OBXTucker
Driver

Zeus: My car normally stays pretty clean (always garaged at night) and gets a bath at least once a week. I don't see the need for anything heavy duty, just true final detailing after a bath - or touch ups w/ a detailing spray between baths. That said (and without knowing much about them), I'd say I probably need the least coarse available (or the universal Pinnacle you recommended). Thanks!
Old 02-13-07, 11:59 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OBX remember that clay has abrasives in it and you only need to use when there is contaminents or fallout in the paint also it strips whatever wax you have on there off !!
Old 02-13-07, 12:58 PM
IS2Fizzle
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OBX, try out the Sonus ultra fine claybar. Wash your car first and remember use quick detailer or soapy water (whichever) before rubbing the compound on the paint. Claybars should last you several uses, you just need to knead them to get a clean side. Also, you really only need to claybar twice a year.
Old 02-13-07, 02:00 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Clay Magic and opt polyclay are my favs; it's hard to have a favorite when they are all so similar though. I like those both because they are easy to mold and do a good job of contamination removal without inducing marring. If you go with clay magic go with the fine grade.