Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Remove aftermarket tint

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-07, 01:21 PM
GarrettSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove aftermarket tint

Some schmuck tinted the rear window on my SC at one point and now its all bubbly and crappy looking. I tried using a head gun to get it off but it came off but the adhesive is still stuck on the window. Is there an easier way to get this crap with out leaving adhesive?
Old 02-08-07, 01:22 PM
stevenee
Driver

windex and a razor blade
Old 02-08-07, 01:25 PM
Sc400Red95
Driver

Originally Posted by stevenee
windex and a razor blade
Second that
Old 02-08-07, 01:36 PM
Jonathan o
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stevenee
windex and a razor blade
No! A razor blade will damage you defroster. Get you a pack of steelwool and some windex and that will get it off. GL
Old 02-08-07, 02:56 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jonathan o
No! A razor blade will damage you defroster. Get you a pack of steelwool and some windex and that will get it off. GL
Old 02-08-07, 03:04 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same problem with me

the windex needs amonia

or just send it in.. so they can do it.. cause its a REALLY tough work ._.
Old 02-08-07, 03:09 PM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You can use one of those nice shirt steamers or if its really hot outside you can tape a cut plastic bag the same size as the rear window. Tape the lower section of the plastic bag to the lower corners of the window (also cover the rear speaker area so that water does not drip down and soak into the carpet) followed by spraying a bunch of water onto the window itself and finally tape the plastic to the top corners of the window. Let this sit in the sun for an hour or two and every half hour spray more water in between the seal. The key is to generate ast much heated moisture in between the window and the bag. Use a wool pad to remove all the softened up adhesive.
Old 02-08-07, 03:13 PM
GarrettSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by Deceptik1
You can use one of those nice shirt steamers or if its really hot outside you can tape a cut plastic bag the same size as the rear window. Tape the lower section of the plastic bag to the lower corners of the window (also cover the rear speaker area so that water does not drip down and soak into the carpet) followed by spraying a bunch of water onto the window itself and finally tape the plastic to the top corners of the window. Let this sit in the sun for an hour or two and every half hour spray more water in between the seal. The key is to generate ast much heated moisture in between the window and the bag. Use a wool pad to remove all the softened up adhesive.
Kind of a problem when its ~30 degrees outside.
Old 02-08-07, 03:14 PM
GarrettSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by fwynn
same problem with me

the windex needs amonia

or just send it in.. so they can do it.. cause its a REALLY tough work ._.

What do you mean send it in? Who is "they"?
Old 02-08-07, 03:22 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 422 Likes on 295 Posts

they = a tint or body shop i suppose, they'll remove for a minimal fee ( < $20) if anything, if you are having it retinted then they'll remove it for free
Old 02-08-07, 03:25 PM
jimmyXthai
Lead Lap

haha yea use amonia, it burns your eyes but works the best and my defrost works like a champ
Old 02-08-07, 03:34 PM
GarrettSC
Rookie

Any one know of a tint shop in MA?

Last edited by GarrettSC; 02-08-07 at 03:35 PM. Reason: doulble post
Old 02-08-07, 04:27 PM
lfrers
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I've removed tint a bunch of times

Pull off the old tint. It will leave the sticky film that seems impossible to remove. Mask off the area real good and use Regular Easy-Off Oven Cleaner spray.
Spray that on let it bubble up and simply wipe it off. Super easy. but if you get that stuff on ANYTHING other than the glass the cleaner will etch, burn, or stain any other surface. So mask it off real good. but That's what I found to work the best. I've done it a least 3 times and tried a lot of diffrent stuff, 409, ammoina, GooGone. Never used steel wool. It'll just scratch the glass. Never did a back window with the defroster lines though.

Oh brother... Why do I bother posting up fixes if you just throw your hands up and say oh well thanks for the input guys but i'm going to take it some where to get it done. It's just tint. Sheesh...

Last edited by lfrers; 02-09-07 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-08-07, 04:30 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine's the same way-- bubbles and all -- can't wait to get that crap off and get it done professionally to protect the rear seats--

Coupe's are super cool since there's only 2 door windows you have to pay for tint on--- hopefully they won't charge much for quarter glass....
Old 02-08-07, 07:07 PM
BeanTWNSC3
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easiest way to do it is with 409 cleaner and steel wool anything with ammonia(windex) in it will harden up the glue if your not quick. Go to home depot or ace and get some 0000 Grade steel wool. After u start out at one corner with a razor and peel the first layer of the tint off there will still be nasty adhesive left on the window. A razor blade will work but u risk damaging the defrost lines. Steel wool is the best bet. Do it right the first time so you don't have to pay someone to fix it.

Quick Reply: Remove aftermarket tint