Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Mail-order Meguiar's Leather Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-07, 02:08 PM
jmaynard
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mail-order Meguiar's Leather Cleaner

I've got two bottles of Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner sitting here. Both are brand new, and both, according to Meguiar's, have been destroyed: they arrived frozen solid.

I ordered the first one from The Auto Alley on Amazon. When it arrived frozen, they sent me another one at no charge, with the box labeled DO NOT FREEZE in big red letters. That didn't help.

I would suggest that those in cold climates wait till the temperature stays above freezing before mail-ordering this stuff.
Old 02-09-07, 09:50 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

lol thats pretty funny, at least they sent you another one
Old 02-09-07, 09:53 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CHRISIS
lol thats pretty funny, at least they sent you another one
The second one was frozen too.
Old 02-09-07, 10:21 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

Oh..oops lol. I guess I'd try and see if any stores carried it locally.
Old 02-09-07, 11:01 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CHRISIS
Oh..oops lol. I guess I'd try and see if any stores carried it locally.
Good idea. Buy one locally and then switch with one of the frozen bottles and return for a refund. That is what I would do.
Old 02-10-07, 02:38 AM
lexuspdx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LXMN
Good idea. Buy one locally and then switch with one of the frozen bottles and return for a refund. That is what I would do.
Only if it's a major store that doesn't really care. How would you feel if you owned that store?
Old 02-10-07, 07:14 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought some Meguiar's Gold Class wax many years ago and had the same thing occur. It wasn't frozen solid ( I'm in Florida so that's a stretch!) but was all congealed and shaking it / mixing it did no good, it seemed chemically damaged by being frozen (my guess at least). I tried it but it wouldn't spread right. It was a mess.

I basically threw it away, I should've gone back to the store, but didn't.

Never thought about it till this thread, and with the extreme cold temps a lot of you are seeing, it's an issue for the merchandisers, and buying public.

Good heads up.
Old 02-10-07, 07:56 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarman
I bought some Meguiar's Gold Class wax many years ago and had the same thing occur. It wasn't frozen solid ( I'm in Florida so that's a stretch!) but was all congealed and shaking it / mixing it did no good, it seemed chemically damaged by being frozen (my guess at least). I tried it but it wouldn't spread right. It was a mess.

I basically threw it away, I should've gone back to the store, but didn't.

Never thought about it till this thread, and with the extreme cold temps a lot of you are seeing, it's an issue for the merchandisers, and buying public.

Good heads up.
Not such a problem for us who spend winters in a warmer climate. Meg's distribution center is in Tennessee. If you were ordering product in Chicago or Milwaukee it would be doubtful that the stuff would arrive a liquid. It's 7° in Milwaukee right now. Love southern Florida in the winter.
Old 02-10-07, 08:47 AM
jmaynard
Driver

The Auto Alley's in Portland, OR. Since they ship the stuff FedEx Ground (I don't think it can be shipped by air), basically anyone in the northern US will have that problem buying from them right now.

It's not The Auto Alley's fault that FedEx won't guarantee that the stuff won't freeze.

No, I'm not going to rip off a local store by returning one of the defective bottles to it for a refund. (Even if there were a local store that had it; the closest Wal-Mart is 25 miles away, and it's one of the small ones, so I'm not sure they'd have it anyway. I don't know if any of the local auto parts stores would have it.)
Old 02-10-07, 12:47 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Well, to each his own. You do know that they mark up the prices on automotive products considerably. Not to mention everything else. I personally do not see the hurt that you would put on the store for that one bottle.

Let's not all pipe in with the "you would if everyone did this" song
Old 02-10-07, 04:25 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LXMN
Well, to each his own. You do know that they mark up the prices on automotive products considerably. Not to mention everything else. I personally do not see the hurt that you would put on the store for that one bottle.

Let's not all pipe in with the "you would if everyone did this" song
How sleazy. I guess we know all we need to know about your character.

If you don't see anything wrong in cheating the store, you have my sympathy. Clearly something went wrong in your upbringing. You failed to learn right from wrong.
Old 02-10-07, 05:45 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously, he bought a bottle of a defective product. He shouldn't have taken delivery in the first place.

How sleazy. I guess we know all we need to know about your character.

If you don't see anything wrong in cheating the store, you have my sympathy. Clearly something went wrong in your upbringing. You failed to learn right from wrong.
Now..that is uncalled for...you can't judge anyone in that way over the internet.

Why buy it over the internet if he could buy the product locally?
You could send the bottle back to Meguiars and buy it from a local store if its available instead.
Old 02-10-07, 06:22 PM
jmaynard
Driver

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Obviously, he bought a bottle of a defective product. He shouldn't have taken delivery in the first place.
Unfortunately, there was no way to tell that it had been frozen until I'd taken delivery of it and opened the box.