Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What is the best tint to get for keeping the car cool?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-07, 10:08 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is the best tint to get for keeping the car cool?

I've heard that ceramic is the best. Is that true?

I'm weary of ceramic, though, because I think it can also weaken my cell phone's signal. Although, from what I understand, at least it won't affect the radio or the GPS navigation on the 2007 models thanks to the new sharkfin antenna.

Also does anyone know the legal tint limits in Texas? I want to do 20% all around. I'm only interested in keeping the car cool because I have a black leather interior, and also I've heard the Vaistech SLI (and possibly my iPod) are susceptible to heat. The aesthetic change is just a bonus, I guess.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-12-07, 10:11 AM
jasonviper
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Legal tint % is 35% in texas but I had 20% on my tC and never got pulled over.
Old 02-12-07, 10:15 AM
magnetik
Pole Position

I would go to your nearest inspection place and ask them. I had to get my front windows retinted when I got my car inspected. They put a device on the window to tell how much light is let through. It was only like 2% off.
Old 02-12-07, 10:24 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

I forgot about those damn inspections... Everyone always mentions how most cops won't pull you over, but no one ever mentions how they get through their inspections...
Old 02-12-07, 10:36 AM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

i highly recommend hiper optik ceramic tint. I have 30 percent on my IS and during the heat wave last summer, my car was kept nice and cool.
Old 02-12-07, 10:38 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

PNice, how does your cell phone work inside your car? Any noticable difference in signal strength?

And is that a brand, or a specific material?
Old 02-12-07, 11:27 AM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I've heard that ceramic is the best. Is that true?

I'm weary of ceramic, though, because I think it can also weaken my cell phone's signal. Although, from what I understand, at least it won't affect the radio or the GPS navigation on the 2007 models thanks to the new sharkfin antenna.

Also does anyone know the legal tint limits in Texas? I want to do 20% all around. I'm only interested in keeping the car cool because I have a black leather interior, and also I've heard the Vaistech SLI (and possibly my iPod) are susceptible to heat. The aesthetic change is just a bonus, I guess.

Thanks for the help.
I run FormulaOne Pinnacle series tint (ceramic) at 35%. http://www.formulaone.com/

No problems at all with cell phone reception. I have a Razor phone btw. If it weakens the cell phone signal, I have not noticed. Manufacture claims that it does not.
Old 02-12-07, 11:33 AM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

PNice, how does your cell phone work inside your car? Any noticable difference in signal strength?

And is that a brand, or a specific material?
doesn't affect ANY signals, whether it is GPS, cell phone, or anything else. haven't had a single problem

yes, hiper optik is a specific brand.
Old 02-12-07, 11:44 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Im not sure if its available in the US but back in Asia our cars are tinted with "V Kool" tints and it doesn't get too hot in the car. Keep in mind, asia is super hot.
Old 02-12-07, 11:53 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ceramic is one of the best materials on the market I believe. It doesn't effect GPS, Radio, Cell phone reception, and rejects the most heat. When it comes to heat, you can definitely feel the difference. But I'm cheap, so I went with Madico Onyx.
Old 02-12-07, 11:59 AM
IS2Fizzle
Pole Position

I've also got the Formula Pinnacle 35 tint (ceramic). I haven't noticed any degrading differences in reception with my Razr. In terms of UV and heat rejection, there is a real noticeable difference. And this is on a black/black IS.
Old 02-12-07, 12:02 PM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

i just went went regular llumar 35% tint..works well enough for me...couldn't see myself forking out about $400 for ceramic tint.
Old 02-12-07, 12:56 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by supaIS350
i just went went regular llumar 35% tint..works well enough for me...couldn't see myself forking out about $400 for ceramic tint.
I forked out $325.00 out the door. I gave 45 large for a car, not about to skimp on my accessories.
Old 02-12-07, 02:34 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm... thanks for the help, guys. It looks like I'm going to be going with ceramic. The cost sounds like a little bit of a downer, but I want the best possible option for keeping the car cool. You get what you pay for, I guess.

Do you think I could get away with 20% tint on everything except the front side windows?
Old 02-12-07, 06:34 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

I forgot about those damn inspections... Everyone always mentions how most cops won't pull you over, but no one ever mentions how they get through their inspections...
Remove the tint for the front windows prior to inspection. My tint shop removes the tint for free and once I pass inspection, they put it back on for a fee.

Quick Reply: What is the best tint to get for keeping the car cool?