Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Waxing LX470 with body panels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 10:11 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Waxing LX470 with body panels?

OK I know how to wax the painted metal parts, what do you guys suggest for the plastic body panels, which take up about 1/2 the body surface? or do they even need to be taken care of with anything other then washing them.
Old 02-21-07, 11:43 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a couple things you can do; both of them serve the same purple just different ways of going about it. You definitely want to help protect them from UV rays and keep them hydrated, or they'll fade over time.

Some guys use their paint sealant right on the plastic. This applies to any sealant without wax (so zaino, klasse, etc...)

The other is to get a dedicated trim protectant/dressing. For waterbased I like 303 aerospace protectant (available locally). The benefit is it's easy to use the downside is it will only last one or two washes since it's waterbased. Alternatively you can use a silicone based dressing like poorboys trim restore. It'll last longer, but it's kind of oily.

Some waxes will work, but a lot of waxes will stain plastic trim, so I generally avoid using them on plastic.

On my car I pretty much just use whatever sealant I'm using, usually z5pro.
Old 02-21-07, 01:23 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by picus
There are a couple things you can do; both of them serve the same purple just different ways of going about it. You definitely want to help protect them from UV rays and keep them hydrated, or they'll fade over time.

Some guys use their paint sealant right on the plastic. This applies to any sealant without wax (so zaino, klasse, etc...)

The other is to get a dedicated trim protectant/dressing. For waterbased I like 303 aerospace protectant (available locally). The benefit is it's easy to use the downside is it will only last one or two washes since it's waterbased. Alternatively you can use a silicone based dressing like poorboys trim restore. It'll last longer, but it's kind of oily.

Some waxes will work, but a lot of waxes will stain plastic trim, so I generally avoid using them on plastic.

On my car I pretty much just use whatever sealant I'm using, usually z5pro.
Thanks, so your talkin about stuff like Nu Finish a non wax sealant. Since my LX470 is black and the vinyl trim is dark grey is there one product that you would recommend that would be better on black/grey regarding leaving residue, and being a longer lasting protectant?
Old 02-21-07, 02:24 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you want something locally available, or are you willing to buy online? How much is your budget and how much time do you realistically want to spend waxing the car?
Old 02-21-07, 08:02 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by picus
Do you want something locally available, or are you willing to buy online? How much is your budget and how much time do you realistically want to spend waxing the car?
I'm looking for the easiest to get, use and cost is not a big issue.