Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Treatment for body cladding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-07, 12:01 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
My dealer charges $125 for a full detail (including carpet shampoo, leather cond, engine detail, etc.). I do the seats myself and use leatherique. I think it's better than the dealer's lexus cleaner/conditioner (I think the just use the lexus cleaner/cond; I got those at Sewell lexus for like $5 each). The leatherique isn't cheap, but the guys on ih8mud swear by it. The rejuvenator oil replenishes the lost oils/proteins from the leather and sucks out junk like salts from sweat, waxes, lanolin, etc. You then apply the cleaner which removes all the muck that the oil extracted from the leather. I heard this is what Bently recommends for their leather. The leatherique contains no lanolin while the lexus conditioner does, so there are two different philosophies on leather care.

Since I keep two sets of floor mats in the 2nd and 3rd rows and the nifty catch-alls up front, my carpets have stayed clean so far. I also have indoor/outdoor carpet on the tailgate so the dog doesn't get her dirty paws on it. Maybe after another 20-30K mi when the engine compartment is really dirty, I'll consider an engine detail!
I have heard this once before. There's a leather repair shop somewhere off the I-15 in Escondido by the Infiniti and MB deaslerships that I visited one time. I had a tear in my seat on the left driver's side bolster on my G20. The owner was telling me that you have to feed leather, not just clean it and then throw a moisturizer on it. Sounds like the guys on IH8MUD are right on.
Old 03-27-07, 12:15 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayson
I have heard this once before. There's a leather repair shop somewhere off the I-15 in Escondido by the Infiniti and MB deaslerships that I visited one time. I had a tear in my seat on the left driver's side bolster on my G20. The owner was telling me that you have to feed leather, not just clean it and then throw a moisturizer on it. Sounds like the guys on IH8MUD are right on.
The Lexus leather is sealed leather so how does this stuff get into the leather? The best thing would be to keep it clean and protect it from UV rays.
Old 03-27-07, 12:16 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sealant gets worn away over time? Lets stay on topic guys...thought this was started on body cladding not leather care? This, dare i say should maybe even be moved into the detailing section for a higher rate of replies and more knowledge on both topics.
Old 03-27-07, 12:20 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
sealant gets worn away over time?
If the sealant on the leather gets worn away your leather is pretty much shot.