Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

what to clean windows with?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-07, 02:20 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to clean windows with?

Ok,ever since I got my car, theres been waterspots on my window. not bad, but just very light, but it uniformly covers the window. So when I drive, I see the little circles but its faint. Like looking through a haze.
How can I remove that without scratching my window or removing that "special" water beading repellent that Lexus coats the window with?
Old 02-25-07, 06:40 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Try Stoner's Invisible Glass to clean the windows. It works great. As for a water repellant, a lot of guys use RainX, but I've heard that it only lasts a few weeks or so. I tried PPG Aquapel, and so far it's been great. I've heard that some Lexus dealers use Aquapel as part of the pre-delivery process.
Old 02-25-07, 08:49 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

well the window issuppsoed to be specially coated from the factory, which is why I dont want to use anything too harsh. I'll try and look for that stoner's.
Old 02-25-07, 08:54 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

There has been a lot of debate as to whether the windshield is coated from the factory. I can tell you this. Last year I had a new Lexus windshield installed in my GS400. It came from Japan, and it absolutely, positively had NO coating at all. Within a week of having it installed, I was caught in two pretty heavy rainstorms and the water did not form a single bead. It just sheeted down the windshield and made it very difficult to see.

Do an Internet search for Aquapel and you'll find an article that discusses that Toyota/Lexus uses it on the windshields of the RX350s. Each application lasts about 6 months.

As for whether
Old 02-26-07, 05:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by starstreak
Ok,ever since I got my car, theres been waterspots on my window. not bad, but just very light, but it uniformly covers the window. So when I drive, I see the little circles but its faint. Like looking through a haze.
How can I remove that without scratching my window or removing that "special" water beading repellent that Lexus coats the window with?
I think only the side windows on the driver and passenger (front) sides have the water repellent coating on them.
Old 02-26-07, 06:14 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Moved to the detailing forum

According to http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/features/exterior.html
Water-Repellent Windows
To improve visibility in rainy conditions, the GS comes equipped with water-repellent glass on the front side windows.
I know the LS models (current and last gen) also have front windshield glass with this treatment.

Originally Posted by e-man
There has been a lot of debate as to whether the windshield is coated from the factory. I can tell you this. Last year I had a new Lexus windshield installed in my GS400. It came from Japan, and it absolutely, positively had NO coating at all.
Wow, how did they fit the third gen OEM GS windshield into your 2nd gen GS? That must have been quite a trick!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-26-07 at 06:20 AM.
Old 02-26-07, 07:51 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

sorry for the wrong area post. I keep forgetting that there are "generic" areas besides whats for MY car.

Anyways, so the front window, although I swear it beads like the drivers side window, it isn't covered with anything?
Old 02-26-07, 07:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by starstreak
sorry for the wrong area post. I keep forgetting that there are "generic" areas besides whats for MY car.

Anyways, so the front window, although I swear it beads like the drivers side window, it isn't covered with anything?
Nope. Front side windows only.
Old 02-26-07, 10:41 AM
narfy
Lead Lap

i use automagic, or wurth, or gunk foaming glass cleaner... i'm VERY dilegent in cleaning my windows... i like to see!! clean the inside too!!

i've found that using white paper towels (the cheap stuff that you'll find in restaraunt washrooms, not bounty) works super awesome...
Old 02-26-07, 12:19 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

For heavily deposited windows, mostly windshields or slanted rear windows i'll clay them and polish with Z-12. For normal cleaning i'll just wash with car soap and use stoners with a MF towel.
Old 02-26-07, 01:56 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

As others have posted, your front windshield is not coated, only the front side windows are. The coatings used can't hold up to the rubbing of the wipers so they don't do the windshield.

For cleaning the glass to get rid of old water spots try using a clay bar and the supplied lube on the windows.

If that fails try a polish like PlastX.

If the glass is actually etched and does not just have mineral deposits dried on the glass you might need this Eastwood glass polishing kit.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT.