Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Steps to Clean car.....? Whatya think???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-07, 07:27 AM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steps to Clean car.....? Whatya think???

I just got my car couple weeks ago! And I haven't washed it with cloth or anything. I just goto manual carwash and.....

1) Rinse the car with clean water.
2) Spray it with soap water.
3) Rinse it with clean water.
4) Let it dry by it self. (I don't have the micro-fiber towels, yet!)

Are these the correct steps to cleaning a car??

The problem is that I don't see how the dirt, salt, etc will come off completely if I do NOT use a cloth DURING the wash? So, do you guys use any clean MF type towels during step 2 w/o getting SWIRL marks???
Old 02-26-07, 05:42 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Pimp350
I just got my car couple weeks ago! And I haven't washed it with cloth or anything. I just goto manual carwash and.....

1) Rinse the car with clean water.
2) Spray it with soap water.
3) Rinse it with clean water.
4) Let it dry by it self. (I don't have the micro-fiber towels, yet!)

Are these the correct steps to cleaning a car??

The problem is that I don't see how the dirt, salt, etc will come off completely if I do NOT use a cloth DURING the wash? So, do you guys use any clean MF type towels during step 2 w/o getting SWIRL marks???
I'd highly recommend that you use the search function and search for washing, polishing and waxing terms.

For your new black car, I'd start with recommending you wash with Meguiar's Gold Class Wash or Meguiar's NXT Tech Wash. Use a new sheepskin wash mitt and the two bucket method of washing with grit guards in the buckets to avoid swirls. Wash in the shade on a cool car surface to avoid water spotting. Dry with high quality waffle-weave microfiber towels.

You have a beautiful black paint but that color shows swirls and imperfections mercilessly. It's is easier to keep swirls from happening than to remove them.

Next I'd clay with Meguiar's award winning Smooth Surface Clay Kit. Use the supplied lube liberally to keep the clay gliding smoothly over your paint. Even new cars benefit from claying. Do small areas at a time and wipe up the residue with microfiber towels. (Tip 1: cut the supplied clay bar in two or three pieces and pop the unused pieces in a plastic bag. If you drop the clay throw it out and use one of the other pieces. Tip 2: After you clay all your paint, use the clay on your glass surfaces then finally clay your wheels.)

In as much as your car is new you probably don't need a polish yet and can move directly to a wax. Apply in the shade to cool paint with a new foam applicator or a microfiber covered foam applicator and apply the wax as thin as possible. Remove with a microfiber towel.
Old 02-27-07, 10:27 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must be one of those "on-the-go" type guys. My wifey is like that. All she does isas she says "throw some water" on her car and the car is washed. There are many products out there that you can use for your car to help keep it looking emaculate. I been using a bundle set of cleaning supplies from Meguiar's that my sister got me for X-Mas. You may also wanna throw in Meguiar's Water Magnet drying towel when it comes to drying the car. (**Thanks JFELBAB for mentioning this product in an earlier thread; got my hands on one and I love it).