Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Anyone know how to clean this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-07, 09:49 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone know how to clean this?

Anyone know how to clean this off my instrument cluster? I don't know what's on it... It just won't wipe off...

Old 02-27-07, 10:27 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you use a vinyl/rubber protectant such as 303-Aerospace on your dash, it can sometimes get oversprayed onto your cluster and is way hard to get it off. It seems the more you rub it, the more it just gets smeared around. I'm not an expert on this stuff so I'll leave it to the very knowledgable detailing pros in this forum to give you tips on what to use to remove it, if that's what it is. The only thing I can think of to try is maybe something which is formulated for clear plastics such as Meguiar's Plast-X.
Old 02-27-07, 10:45 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question for o2GS43o. What is the consistency of the actual gunk or residue. Is it crusted over or is it still pliable? I would recommend first cleaning with dawn then go ahead and use a little rubbing alcohol to prep the surface. Then follow it up with some PlastX and see if it does the trick. From the pic it looks like dried up Armor All or interior dressing
Old 02-28-07, 05:58 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coming from a paint/body repair background, from the pattern I see it looks to me as if someone (prior owner?) tried rubbing it with something abrasive, like a ScotchBrite pad?

There may have been some silicone overspray on it or other marks they tried to remove, and tried the wrong way by making it worse.

If that's close to the case, some clear plastic polish such as Plexus or such is the ticket.

Whether it would be aggressive enough to bring complete clarity back is the question.

Good luck,

Last edited by Guitarman; 02-28-07 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-28-07, 02:53 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice... It actually feels smooth to the touch but in the light, you can tell that there's something on there... I will try later on today after work... Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it's probably some type of interior dressing, but i will try it out after work and do it to a little portion of the cluster and see if it works out.

Last edited by o2GS43o; 02-28-07 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-28-07, 03:19 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I have got the same thing on my speedo instruments. It looks like dried drips and smudeges and they would not come off by wiping them so I asume they are on the inside of the plastic which is beyond me how they got on the inside. Does anyone know how to get to the inside of that plastic around the gauges without harming anything? I may try a stronger cleaner to see if it is on the outside of the plastic but it appears to be on the inside so I have left it alone. My turnsignal dash indicators also has this grimy substance on it that when it is wiped off it immediately hazes right back. Good luck cleaning it, I may try to give mine another shot with alchohal and PlasticX
Old 02-28-07, 05:00 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Just tried cleaning it again. Used Windex and scrubbed as hard as I could and nonthing came off so I assumed it had to be on the inside. I then tried some Mequirs Plastic X and the stuff came right off mostly, I was shocked. After working at it I got most off but there are a few spots left especially along the edges and whatever it is is really tuff to take off unless you get the right angle. The stuff on the turn signal idicators does seem much harder to take off and will take some more effort. Unfortunately I have not driven my car for a few days and had the doors opened to clean it today and had the optitron gauges lit and it ran my battery down enough to where I can't start it. I'll jump it after dinner.
Old 02-28-07, 07:16 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If all else fails use GOO GONE! I think this rule of thumb works for me on most applications
Old 03-06-07, 08:20 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarman
Coming from a paint/body repair background, from the pattern I see it looks to me as if someone (prior owner?) tried rubbing it with something abrasive, like a ScotchBrite pad?

There may have been some silicone overspray on it or other marks they tried to remove, and tried the wrong way by making it worse.

If that's close to the case, some clear plastic polish such as Plexus or such is the ticket.

Whether it would be aggressive enough to bring complete clarity back is the question.

Good luck,
Plexus is the ticket to clean and protect all plastic surfaces. Leaves a smooth "waxy" finish while covering scratches. Best product in my arsenal!