Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

First time Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-07 | 09:02 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GOBUCS
I am pretty ****, but not ridiculous, when it comes to washing my car, and can still do the job right in about 45 min. Here are few things I have learned from the detailing forum and personal experience: I do the wheels first, with one set of sponges only on the wheels and rims for every wash, since you don't want to clean the rest of your nice paint with nasty brake dust residue. Spray the car off as best you can, especially along the bottom of the car to remove as much dirt as possible before you start the wash. I would use my pressure washer, but it's too much of a pita to get out every time. After I clean the wheels, I make a new bucket of car soap, use a car wash mitt, and clean the car from Top to Bottom, in that order since most of the dirt is right along the bottom edge of the car, and you don't want to bring that up to the hood or roof if you can avoid it. A huge key to this is rinsing your mitt of sponge VERY often with the hose. Some people will tell you to use a second rinse bucket, but I say that is lame, since you have to drag out another bucket, and soon you will be rinsing in dirty water. While you are washing the car, use gentle, forward and back motions instead of the cicular {wax on, wax off} motions to prevent future swirls in your paint. I then use a microfiber towels to dry it off{forward and back}, with a different one on the wheels.

Between washes, my car gets dusty with my daily driving, and I use a California Car Duster to easily wipe down the car.

Not sure what color your car is, but black will show swirls the easiest, which is why I will never get that color.

Good luck keeping that Lexus looking brand new!!
Attachment 100481

Thanks a lot for the info, I was actually going to do it another way around. Do the car from top to bottom and then do the wheel (rim). I will try both ways and see which one is better then I will decide from there : )
Old 03-05-07 | 10:02 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by GOBUCS
I am pretty ****, but not ridiculous, when it comes to washing my car, and can still do the job right in about 45 min. Here are few things I have learned from the detailing forum and personal experience: I do the wheels first, with one set of sponges only on the wheels and rims for every wash, since you don't want to clean the rest of your nice paint with nasty brake dust residue. Spray the car off as best you can, especially along the bottom of the car to remove as much dirt as possible before you start the wash. I would use my pressure washer, but it's too much of a pita to get out every time. After I clean the wheels, I make a new bucket of car soap, use a car wash mitt, and clean the car from Top to Bottom, in that order since most of the dirt is right along the bottom edge of the car, and you don't want to bring that up to the hood or roof if you can avoid it. A huge key to this is rinsing your mitt of sponge VERY often with the hose. Some people will tell you to use a second rinse bucket, but I say that is lame, since you have to drag out another bucket, and soon you will be rinsing in dirty water. While you are washing the car, use gentle, forward and back motions instead of the cicular {wax on, wax off} motions to prevent future swirls in your paint. I then use a microfiber towels to dry it off{forward and back}, with a different one on the wheels.

Between washes, my car gets dusty with my daily driving, and I use a California Car Duster to easily wipe down the car.

Not sure what color your car is, but black will show swirls the easiest, which is why I will never get that color.

Good luck keeping that Lexus looking brand new!!
Attachment 100481
Good advise and....Holy Crap, where are my shades!?!
That is one gleeming ride!...Nice!
Old 03-06-07 | 05:55 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
I don't endorse dish soap and I actually opt for the boutique brands like Zaino or Poorboys over Gold Class but seriously, has anybody actually seen damage caused by using dish soap? My dad washes his car exclusively with dawn dish soap and hot water and not all that often. Once, maybe twice a year i'll detail it for him, wash, clay, polish, and either a simple wax or if i've got the time i'll Zaino it for him. I've never seen any damage and his car looks better than most washed with car soap and not maintained even once a year. So I think this dawn wash thing is way overblown, what say you.
Damage? No. However, I would NOT use dish washing liquid to wash my car. Dish washing soap is designed to wash dishes and car wash soap is designed to wash cars, period. Dish washing soap contains additives that break down oil and grease (and car wax). It will literally suck vital emollients from black trim and mouldings. Car was soap would actually help to preserve these mouldings. This comes from years of experience with my own car. All I can say is "if only I knew then, what I know now."
Old 03-06-07 | 09:03 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350jet
It will literally suck vital emollients from black trim and mouldings. Car was soap would actually help to preserve these mouldings. This comes from years of experience with my own car. All I can say is "if only I knew then, what I know now."
This is one of the things I hear from people all the time but I have yet to witness it in my own experiences or seen any proof of this.
Old 03-06-07 | 06:53 PM
GOBUCS
Driver

Originally Posted by jimjaix
Thanks a lot for the info, I was actually going to do it another way around. Do the car from top to bottom and then do the wheel (rim). I will try both ways and see which one is better then I will decide from there : )
The reason I do the tires first is because the rest of the car will start to dry with water marks before I finish the tires. It is best to wash a cold car in the shade, since here in FL, I can sometimes see the water steaming off right after I rinse, and water marks are a bit@# to get off. {Search clay bar for that one}

Last edited by GOBUCS; 03-06-07 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-06-07 | 07:21 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

Too many of these Dishwashing soap cats are getting on the forum BAN!
Old 03-06-07 | 08:47 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Just run it through your local touchless car wash, get your bottom blasted and the glow wax special and the old high speed air blow off at the end and your good to go. I do this every week with my LX470, sometimes 2x's a week. then wax it every 3 months with eagle one nano wax and your car and paint should look great all of the time, or you could be a nut case and clay it, and hand wash it, and wax it with 3 kinds of wax and then a special sealer and your car won't look much different then mine
Old 03-07-07 | 12:00 AM
lexuspdx
Pole Position

Well, here's my 2 cents...

You just bought a damn nice, expensive car. Don't treat it like S***!

Buy a good genuine sheep's wool wash mitt.
Buy any wash mitt for the rims and tires
Buy a grit guard
Get your hands on a 5 gallon bucket. Most chinese restaurants will have extra 5 gal soysauce buckets they would love you to get rid of.
Buy some good quality soap. Should be about $10-12, but it's worth it. A lot better then the $5 blue coral stuff.
Get a couple of large Pakshak microfiber towels for drying. Buy 4-5 small mf towels for detailing.
Buy a quick spray on detailer like McGuires, etc...

I would get a professional wax job done first. Then just keep your car clean and go get a wax job done every six months.

To wash your car
Get your car in the SHADE if it's sunny and over 50 degrees!!! You will get spots if you don't!
Like GOBUCS said, wash your wheels first. Then rinse out that bucket good.
Use enough soap for the car wash so you have lots of suds to lubricate your car while you are getting the dirt off. Be sure to use the grit guard here. Wash from the top down. Wash the junk off your mitt outside of the bucket, maybe before every other dunk in the soap bucket. Afterwards washing, dry off the car with the large mf towels. Dry off the inside of the door sills and trunk with the small mf towels while car is completely drying.

Use a detailing spray to get a good shine and leave the waxing for later when you get better and do your own SEARCH!!!!!!

Edited... if you have a light color car (white or silver), you can just take it to the car wash b/c you probably won't see the micromarring anyway! And you can then save your time and just get the wax job done twice a year.

Good Luck!

Last edited by lexuspdx; 03-07-07 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-07-07 | 07:14 AM
jfelbab

Default Another View

Washing - An occasional run through a touchless Laser Automatic Wash won't damage your finish during periods of inclement weather. Wash it yourself if you can using a good car wash like Meguiar's Gold Class Wash or NXT Tech Wash. Use two buckets and grit guards. Buy new sheepskin wash mitts every few months and keep them spotless. Don't use the same mitt that you wash your car with to wash your wheels and rocker panels. Dry your vehicle using an open hose and low pressure to sheet off as much water as you can then gently dry with waffle-weave microfiber towels. Always wash your car in the shade when the paint is cool to the touch or you will develop water spots.

Clay - Even new cars benefit from clay. Draw your fingers over the paint on your hood after it has been washed and dried. If it doesn't feel as smooth as glass you should clay. Look for a clay kit in an automotive store. I prefer Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit but others also make good kits.

Cleaning - Use a paint cleaner or a combination cleaner/polish product to remove grime that is imbedded in the paint pores. I like Meguiars #80 for this but the Megs Deep Crystal #1 Cleaner and #2 Polish are also fine. On a brand new car this cleaning step might not be needed.

Waxing - Now that your finish is looking good you need to seal it to protect the look. If you live in a very hot area of the country, a polymer sealant is a better choice than a carnauba wax. Carnauba wax can evaporate in intense heat. While Zaino is a good choice it is not the only good choice. You might give Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax a try or seek out Meguiar's #21 synthetic sealant. NXT Tech Wax is the #1 selling polymer sealant in the US and is available almost everywhere.

You should also get a bottle of Quick Detailer to use to remove bird droppings or other messes as soon as they occur. Keep it in the car with a microfiber towel. Bird poo will often permanently etch your paint if not removed promptly. You can also use the Quick Detailer and a couple of microfibers to remove light dust from your paint.

Leather - I'd use a cleaner/conditioner at least monthly during the summer months to keep it clean and prevent it from drying out. Lexus sells great products for cleaning and conditioning leather.

Interior - For interior detailing I prefer Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. This is a great product that doesn't add gloss or leave an oily residue. It leaves the interior looking like new.

Tires - Tires need a good cleaning too. I gently use my power washer to clean the tires and the wheel wells. I dress the tires with Meguiars Insane Shine and wipe off the excess 10 minutes after application for a new rubber look that lasts weeks. If you used a chemical tire or wheel cleaner don't forget to reapply the sealant to your rims again.

Glass - Glass, inside and out needs a good cleaner like Stoners Invisible Glass or Meguiar's NXT Glass Cleaner. Use a couple of microfibers for this cleaning to achieve streak free results.

Finally I maintain the exterior with NXT Tech Spray Booster Wax after every other wash. This stuff goes on and off in about 20-25 minutes and leaves the paint very slick with that freshly detailed look. The added slickness keeps dirt from sticking and makes the car almost self cleaning.

As a last note, swirls and cobwebs are easier to prevent than to remove. Everything that touches your paint can cause marring so be gentle.
Old 03-07-07 | 03:20 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

My man jfelbab still giving the best knowledge about cleaning cars I have used his steps for over a year and my car stays shining. thanks jim
Old 03-07-07 | 07:27 PM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

I also use the mr car wash spray thing where it filters the water for you so you dont have to dry the car at the end. Just rinse off the soap and wash with the filtererd water and let it dry itself without using towels! Its SOooo NICE!
Old 03-11-07 | 03:45 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Before I got my SC, the only car wash stuff here was a half used tub of turtle wax from the mid 60's and a brush filled with dirt...

Note that at that time, the only car here that had clear coat paint was my mom's Lincoln. All else were 60's cars with orignal laquor(sp) paint.

Since no one here didn't know any better, dish wash soap, bath towels, and old shirts were used to wax... for about 10 years...let's just say that combination has led to a very scratched and dull looking midnight blue Lincoln... The old cars on the other hand... didn't seem to care one bit what was used. Shoot, drag some plywood and 50 lb bags of feed across them and they were fine.

I say stick with car wash soap