Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Should I take the dealer car wash?
Yes, scrub her down inside and out
24.60%
No, don't touch my baby
56.15%
Only clean her on the inside, don't touch the exterior
16.04%
Only clean her on the outside, my insides are good
3.21%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: To Take the free Dealer Wash or Not

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-07, 06:08 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: To Take the free Dealer Wash or Not

Hey Guys,

I am going into the dealer for my first free service and I KNOW they will offer a free car wash. I wanted to get all your opinions on whether this is worth it or not. Will I come out with more swirls then I came in with? I guess this really depends on the method the dealer uses to clean the car. I'm thinking of possibly having them only clean the inside of the lexus. Thoughts?

Last edited by SilverSprt; 03-07-07 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-07-07, 09:58 PM
Duds
Pole Position

I would never take my car to a free dealer wash, this coming from someone who used to wash cars for a jaguar dealer while in high school. No one there knows anything about cleaning a car or even cares about your car. You will receive a ****ty rushed wash and a kid playing with your new luxury car.
Old 03-08-07, 12:12 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I let them wash it.

It's not like it's the only wash the car will get. I'll let them wash it in between detailings...

Anyways, it's free (sort of).
Old 03-11-07, 01:48 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are careful when you wash the car and it is a car where you care about the paint, then an emphatic NO.

If it is a "beater", utility car where it does not matter and/or you suck just as bad at washing , then go for it.
Old 03-11-07, 06:59 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I don't get to the Leuxs dealer too much (very far away), but the one in San Antonio always took EXTRA particular care of my little baby. I basically had the bugs of both countries splattered across my RX, so the first time they figured I use it for offroad. It came as somewhat of a surprise when I told them it was trip from Mexico City.
Old 03-11-07, 10:28 AM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have any experience with a Lexus dealer washing cars but I imagine all the dealerships are the same...they just wash it. They could really care less about not putting swirls/scratches on your car.

I had a friend who just bought a g35 coupe in obsidian black. Paint was flawless when it left the dealership. He brought it back in to get the first scheduled maintenance done and they offered him a free wash, so he took it. This is the car after they washed it...

I don't know if they use a wire sponge to wash it or what, but free or not, the dealer is never going to wash my car.
Old 03-11-07, 03:09 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

My dealer does a decent job but they still swirl the paint so I decline and put up signs saying "No Wash" inside the windows. They only washed it once by mistake and gave me a credit of $50 for screwing up that time.
Old 03-17-07, 01:00 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I've been in a lot of dealership detailing bays, and I've yet to see one I would put my car in.
Old 03-21-07, 07:12 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't mind swirls like the ones in the pictures above then go for it. I would never let "anyone" wash or wax my car and risk unnecessary swirl marks. If you have a black car it is a tough enough battle with swirls to start with ...... letting anyone else wash/wax your car is just begging for swirls.
Old 03-21-07, 07:31 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Nope, I would'nt let the dealer wash mine.
Old 03-26-07, 06:35 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

No way .. last time I had a wash the did damage to rims ..
Old 04-08-07, 06:43 PM
vassey50
Pole Position

i don't even want to take the chance, i would assume they don't have a professional car detailer in the service bays all day long. i would however guess that they're paying some kid pennies to wash cars all day.

V
Old 07-22-07, 06:03 AM
darchard
Driver

Maybe I should reconsider having the dealer wash my GS.
Old 07-22-07, 02:20 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As many others have responded - not a chance. Exterior or interior.

On the day I bought I called the salesman ahead of time to make sure they had the vehicle I was after in stock. I arrived as he excitedly announced, "They're just about done washing it." I cringed. Sure enough - a big long-handled brush stuck in a bucket that gets rinsed once a day, followed by a high-pressure rinse.

My salesman is one of those extra-effort guys who gives out a microfiber towel and small bottle of QD spray to all his customers. As I showed him the newly introduced swirl marks on my car that had 2.5 miles on the clock, I jokingly suggested he'd be doing his customers a bigger favor by not letting the crew touch the paint.
Old 07-23-07, 08:52 AM
MShybrid
Pole Position

I just went in for the 5k service and the Service Manager asked if I would also like to have the free wash. I politely declined his offer.

Quick Reply: Poll: To Take the free Dealer Wash or Not