Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Optimum No Rinse (holy crap this stuff really works)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 10:41 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMangia
Got mine and it really works. I was skeptical at first but my fiance and I used two cap fulls and a gallon of water and washed both our cars. It came out amazing. I have enjoyed the information that CL has made me aware of. I ghost around and would like to say thanks to everyone who contributes, it really helps newbies such as myself.
this forum has the BEST group of people sharing information!
Old 05-10-07, 03:14 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kickin8
this forum has the BEST group of people sharing information!
Yep, best forum Ive ever been a member of!
Old 05-15-07, 05:55 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I just got my Optimum wash No-Rinse wash in the mail today. I can definetly say (drumroll please) I'm NOT overly impressed at this point. I'm going to try it once more just to give it a fair chance but for right now I didn't notice spectaculer results.
Old 05-15-07, 06:13 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

doah!!!! well I get mine some time in the next few days... Im not expecting much, but Im thinking of just using it as a quick detailer during the week when I get home from work.
Old 05-15-07, 06:21 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

I think this product is better for a quick detailer than a car wash, again, I'm going to give it another chance after I freshly wax my car and see if it can keep the waterspots off my car, thats really what I most desire.
Old 05-15-07, 10:21 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

I'm confused about the waterspots on your car...
If you do one section at a time and dry immediately with a microfiber towel..you shouldn't get water spots
If you meant water spots appearing b/c of sprinklers/rain then you would just have to wash your car more often b/c the only thing preventing the water spots from going on your paint is the wax layer, so i don't think Optimum will prevent water spots.
Old 05-15-07, 10:33 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

I know the Optimum isn't going to prevent waterspots from natural sources. The water here tends to leave water spots when you rinse so I'm going to make sure I get all the old stuff off the car (going to compound and wax the car) so I have a fresh start to fairly test the Optimum with. Thats what I meant by give it another chance to be fair.

As far as just 1st use I would have to say it didn't provide as nice of a finish as my standard Meguire's Gold class wash. The Optimum seemed to dull the finish of the car if anything. Comparativly, while I do get water spots with Meguires the paint looks better when you stand back than it does with the Optimum, does that make sense? BUT the water spots that come because I am out in the sun while rinsing drive me nuts, so....I'm going to compound the car and get it back into top shape. Once I have done that and put a fresh coat of Zaino on it I will then use the Optimum in the shade (as I did today) and see if I can keep the spots off the car. I am hoping that with the fresh wax etc... I will be able to maintain the gloss AND have no water spots with the Optimum. As it stands, the Optimum seemed to be a little harsh on the finish. Sorry if that is a little long winded and difficult to understand, lol.
Old 05-15-07, 11:25 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Haha, if you work with a dirty towel and solution, you will get hazing. I found that when i cleaned the glass on one side of the car with clean water/towel, it came out clear and streakless. By the time i got to the other side of the car, you can tell there is some oily residue/hazing.
Old 05-15-07, 11:35 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Get some of the wash water onto paint before you actually get the mitt on it. That way you'll have some lubrication so the dirt wont smear on the paint as much.
Old 05-15-07, 11:41 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

It wasn't a dirty towel or solution, it was a brand new bucket, brand new microfiber towels and a new bottle of solution.

I also wet the car before I started wiping, I'm pretty careful becuase I have a black car. Again, I'm going to give it another try once the car is cleaned up properly.
Old 05-16-07, 01:08 PM
hotpants
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by macd7919
I also wet the car before I started wiping, I'm pretty careful becuase I have a black car.
Did you wet the car using an ONR solution or just regular tap?
Old 05-16-07, 01:41 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

It wasn't a dirty towel or solution, it was a brand new bucket, brand new microfiber towels and a new bottle of solution.

I also wet the car before I started wiping, I'm pretty careful becuase I have a black car. Again, I'm going to give it another try once the car is cleaned up properly.
You know you're supposed to use ONR on 1 section at a time, right? If you're working on a clean car, no need to wet the car down. Just wet your MF and wipe on, then wipe off. Don't forget to use a 2nd bucket for rinsing.

I haven't had a problem with ONR even with dirty cars, no wetting first either. I did notice that drying with brand new MF towels from Costco left hazing, so I use a pakshak waffle weave.
Old 05-16-07, 02:00 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I know the Optimum isn't going to prevent waterspots from natural sources. The water here tends to leave water spots when you rinse so I'm going to make sure I get all the old stuff off the car (going to compound and wax the car) so I have a fresh start to fairly test the Optimum with. Thats what I meant by give it another chance to be fair.
Do you mean you're rinsing before or after you use ONR? You should not have to do either, especially not after you use ONR.
Old 05-16-07, 02:40 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

I used lots of ONR water on each panel one at a time to keep things nice and wet because I am skeptical about rubbing dirt around on my black car. I DID only do one section at a time followed by drying with a microfiber.

I was using new microfiber towel so maybe it was caused by that if another member has experienced the same. I am going to wash my towels, clean the car the regular way with Meguire's (that I know works well), compound and wax the car and THEN I will try Optimum again. Hopefully I can get the results you guys have been having at that point.

Btw- This is a pic of my 98 with 140k on it after I did a compound and wax job. We will see how the Optimum performs with the car in this state for it's second chance.
Old 05-16-07, 03:40 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that's weird man. I don't know what to say other then you are the only one in pages of this thread that isn't impressed with it. I used to use mcquires and liked it, but nothing has compared to ONR for me. oh well, sorry.

Quick Reply: Optimum No Rinse (holy crap this stuff really works)