Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Optimum No Rinse (holy crap this stuff really works)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-07, 07:31 PM
sealioo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got mine yesterday and put it to use on my black IS350 today. My first impression is this stuff work really well. Definitely on par, if not better than any wash I have done. Unfortunately, I cannot tell if I left swirl marks and scratches, because the car wash I used to take the car to did a fine job of that already.
Old 05-18-07, 10:47 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used mine for the first time last night... Well I will say this first, if you are in an area thats has water restrictions, this is a great alternative. However if youre not, Id say stick with some Megs Gold Class wash or Megs NXT wash.

Now I cant make a statement like that without giving good reason... Now, the way I used it was as recommended on the bottle: 2 cap fulls per 2 gallons, and my car was washed last friday (5 days prior) and wasnt that dirty. Mostly I had lots of dust, a few very small bugs and some water spots left over from the dealerships washing. I used a MF wash mitt, the 2 bucket wash method, and a MF towel I got from the ONR company. I did not rinse the car and soaked the mitt in the ONR for a minute or two and ran it over my car with little force.

Couple things to note here: Wash youre rims and tires first and use a hose! Be sure to wash one panel at a time and rinse out the mitt well after each panel. Because there is no pre-rinse the dirt has no where to go but into your mitt. Dry each panel as you go as this stuff tend to dry kinda quick and will leave slight water spots. And lastly, scrub harder on things that are stuck on the paint as this stuff will not "melt" off tougher things. I cant really tell if my process left any new micro scratches since the dealership has very much trashed my car of those (yes a porter cable 7424 and many other things are on order and coming to fix the problems. I just spend around 400 bucks on detailing stuff as I am going to start properly caring for my own car).

Now what I will say I liked about the product: Mixed under the different ratio to be a quick detailer (I believe 6 cap fulls to a gallon) this stuff would make an excellent QD and is probably a lot cheaper than others. I really like the idea of not having a hose spray into every little crevice all over my car and then leak out for hours afterward having me come into the garage the next morning to find nice long water runs in random places. This allows for a very quick and good wash!

Now what I didnt like: I dont like how the dirt really doesnt go anywhere... I noticed that even after drying the car, some of the dusty dirt remained and could be "brushed" up with your fingers. This is something that foam and a hose aid in removing. Its kinda weird that there is no soap suds... But I got over it. I dont really like that I have to order it anytime I want some if I wanted more.

I think this will just sit in my garage mixed into a quick detailer solution and be something I use at the end of a day when a few too many things hit my car or the bombs dropped from birds land on my car.

Thats just my opinion...
Old 09-12-07, 02:43 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I tried it for the first time yesterday and I am pretty impressed. I am staying at an apartment now that has no water for a hose hookup so it is ideal for my situation right now. My car was absolutely filthy from not being washed for awhile and I parked it under a tree where it was literally covered in bird crap. It was going to be a pretty messy job so I filled out a milk jug with water and got a towel and got most of the bird crap off. It was kind of odd with pretty much no suds but I washed it once to get most of the dirt and grime off and then washed it again. This was no proper wash but more of a rush job to get the bird crap off and most of the dirt. The results were impressive because I thought there would be a bunch of water spots like I experience with other car wash products since I was not able to completely dry it off but there were very few water spots and I was impressed with the finish even though it was not a thorough job like a normally do. This stuff is pretty good in my opinion and I received a couple compliments on my car that day after it was washed. I is perfect for people who do not have access to a hose and running outside water or who cannot afford to wash with a hose.
Old 09-12-07, 03:56 PM
Armand
Driver

ONR is definetly a excellent product. It's been very well known in the detail biz for a long time and a little more popular in the country's cold zones where busting out the hose and buckets won't always work during some parts of the year.

The best way to prevent swirling up your ride when using this stuff is by using the two bucket method and I would strongly recommend grit guards for both buckets. If you don't want to go 2 bucket then at the very least get a grit guard for the one bucket. Grit guards are only a few bucks and save you big headaches later on.
Old 09-14-07, 08:36 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

I've used this for about 8 months so far, and it hasn't left any scratches the the clear coat. The key is to not over load the microfiber with too much dirt b/c it will stick to the microfiber, and not rinse off into the water, so i used two mf towels to wash.
Old 10-18-07, 08:10 AM
Anthony O
Driver School Candidate

Hello people,

For those that do not know me I'm a professional auto detailer and also a beta tester for Optimum Technologies. I have recently put up a few videos in relation to using the No Rinse.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...28313622&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...12498290&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...79827390&hl=en

No Rinse works with polymers that attract and in a nutshell bonds with the grime on the surface. When done properly there should be little to no dirt on your drying towels. Also, on dirtier cars you may need to go over the area you're cleaning a few times before drying and also you may go through 2 or 3 wash mitts.

Using No Rinse is rather uncomfortable at first but after a few uses it will become more of a system. you'll feel more at ease and like me you just may prefer it over the traditional soap and bucket.

I'll try to answer any questions as best as I can.

Anthony
Old 10-18-07, 08:35 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing I have noticed about ONR is that with my tap water it leaves this white film. I switched to using 2 gallons of distilled water and problem solved.. Kind of weird.
Old 10-18-07, 09:47 AM
Anthony O
Driver School Candidate

The best water to use would be filtered water, such as DI or RO, because the polymers within No Rinse will bond to the minerals in tap water.

You'll notice that ONR in treated or filtered water may feel a bit slimy which is good as it means you have the ONR at full strength, It still works in tap water just fine but treated water is best.

Anthony
Old 10-18-07, 09:09 PM
PPolisher
Driver School Candidate

Anthony your clarity is appreciated and I am glad to see you over here...Welcome

Al
Old 10-23-07, 11:21 AM
PPolisher
Driver School Candidate

To avoid highjacking this thread I created a new post - Drought Issue - because I have requested marketing assistance and I am hoping for some reasonable replies

ONR is my new best friend

Al