Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Bad technique...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-07, 03:11 AM
TheSyndica
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad technique...?

I got a black IS350 3 months and I'm trying my best to keep the car clean. I washed 5 times and waxed 3 times within those three months. I was about to clay my car and noticed I had a lot of scratches "Everywhere" on my car. It's hard to see these scratches but with a good lighting you can see it! I think that I got these scratched either by my california duster, what im using to dry my car or just a bad washing technique. So I was reading up on the treads for scratch removal and I came up with two options. Should I use scratch - x with a buffer or should I just polish my car? It is only 3 months old....And I am going to clay my car so should I clay first or scratch-x/polish first? And if polishing is recommended, what is a good polisher? Sorry im such a beginner
Old 03-25-07, 07:14 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSyndica
I got a black IS350 3 months and I'm trying my best to keep the car clean. I washed 5 times and waxed 3 times within those three months. I was about to clay my car and noticed I had a lot of scratches "Everywhere" on my car. It's hard to see these scratches but with a good lighting you can see it! I think that I got these scratched either by my california duster, what im using to dry my car or just a bad washing technique. So I was reading up on the treads for scratch removal and I came up with two options. Should I use scratch - x with a buffer or should I just polish my car? It is only 3 months old....And I am going to clay my car so should I clay first or scratch-x/polish first? And if polishing is recommended, what is a good polisher? Sorry im such a beginner
Well you're finding out what owning a black car is all about. Black shows imperfections like no other color and is a constant battle to keep it looking good.

I've posted some "best practices" on this forum to avoid instilling these swirls in the paint. Do a search. Everything that touches the paint on your car potentially can cause swirls.

Some major do's and don'ts
• Do use a new sheepskin wash mitt and replace them frequently. Also launder them after every use and store them in a dust free location. I use the older mitts for the rocker panels, wheels and wheel-wells.

• Do wash your paint gently, if dirt is not coming off use clay later, don't just press harder with the mitt.

• Do use the two bucket wash method.

• Don't use cloth automatic car washes. If you must use an automatic find a Laser car wash that it totally touchless.

• Do use waffle-weave microfiber drying towels like the "Water Magnet" to dry your car. Launder these after every use and never launder a microfiber towel with any other material like cotton towels.

You will now need to use an abrasive polish to remove the swirls. ScratchX is such a polish. This is best done with a dual action polisher like the Porter-Cable 7336 or 7424. This tool sells for around $100 but is the overall best polishing tool out there. A rotary buffer is faster but much more difficult to master without causing paint damage. The PC won't damage your paint and will remove swirls. IMO, it is the best tool I've ever purchased. Pick up some polishing and finishing pads for it as well. If you decide to purchase this polisher then I'd recommend using a better polish. For light marring I'd start with Meguiar's #80 and for heavier marring I'd suggest Meguiar's #83 followed by #80.

I've never had any use for the California Duster. Dragging a paraffin laden mop full of abrasive dust over the paint doesn't strike me as the "best practice" but there are a lot of guys who swear by them. To remove light dust I use several quality microfiber towels and a quick detailer. Mist on the detailer, gently wipe it off, turn the microfiber to a dry side and lightly buff dry and there will be no scratches.

Hope this has helped.

Last edited by jfelbab; 03-25-07 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-25-07, 09:46 AM
TheSyndica
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the in dept reply. I will most definetly invest in the Porter-Cable 7424. So do I clay first then polish then wax?
Old 03-25-07, 11:00 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSyndica
Thank you for the in dept reply. I will most definetly invest in the Porter-Cable 7424. So do I clay first then polish then wax?
Yes, clay before polishing.