Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

BLACK CAR- Wet-Sand, Paint,Clear-Coat ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 10:50 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default BLACK CAR- Wet-Sand, Paint,Clear-Coat ?

I have a '2nd Gen GS that is balck and despite my best efforts it has your normal swirls and light scrathces etc.

I would really like to rejuvinate the paint to get it looking really nice.

Eventhough I spend hours waxing it, you can still see the swirls in the light etc.

How can I get rid of the swirsl, scrathes permanently?

what is wet-sanding and will it permanently solve my problem and make a big improvement?

should I get the car wet-sanded and then get it clear-coated (2-3 coats)? will this work?

I have had the car buffed and it looks great but is only a very temporary thing?

Is repainting the only option? If so, how much should it cost to get re-painted and then get 3-4 coats of clear put on? (I would keep the car the same color).

Thanks for your help.

Ted
Old 03-28-07, 04:05 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ted920
I have a '2nd Gen GS that is balck and despite my best efforts it has your normal swirls and light scrathces etc.

I would really like to rejuvinate the paint to get it looking really nice.

Eventhough I spend hours waxing it, you can still see the swirls in the light etc.

How can I get rid of the swirsl, scrathes permanently?

what is wet-sanding and will it permanently solve my problem and make a big improvement?

should I get the car wet-sanded and then get it clear-coated (2-3 coats)? will this work?

I have had the car buffed and it looks great but is only a very temporary thing?

Is repainting the only option? If so, how much should it cost to get re-painted and then get 3-4 coats of clear put on? (I would keep the car the same color).

Thanks for your help.

Ted
The short answer is that you can't get rid of the swirls permanently. This is especially true for a black car. Everything that touches your paint potentially will cause a swirl. You need to be really **** about not introducing swirls to minimize them.

I've posted a few times on how to minimize swirls and you can find my posts by doing a search. These are my opinions formed over a quite long period of detailing literally thousands of cars. They are not the only methods and there are many right ways to deal with swirls. You might find them useful anyway.

For your car, I'd forget wet sanding. You really have a couple of choices. See a professional detailer or buy the equipment and do it yourself.

A detail to get rid of most of the marring will set you back around $200-$250. For around $175 you can buy the tools and products needed to do it yourself and for many times in the future. It will take about 6-8 hours to fully detail your car (inside and out) the first time. Subsequent details will take about 4 hours if you do it quarterly or semi-annually.

If you have questions after reading my posts, ask away and I'll give whatever help I can to get you started on a good course of action.