Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Help: Concrete on my LS hood! Detailers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-07, 11:34 AM
lexusthai
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Concrete on my LS hood! Detailers?

This morning I noticed that there are concrete drops on my paint . What a nightmare. There are several spots of 2-3 millimeters size concrete drops. Unfortunately (for me), all spots are rock solid. I don't know when or where I got these drops.

I see that muriatic acid will dissolve concrete http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infmur.shtm but it is also one of the most dangerous chemicals you can buy for home use. So I'm not gonna try that.

I also see a place that can remove this, but it's in England http://www.clean-image.co.uk/article...nt-buff-01.htm. Do you guys know any good auto detailers/Hand Car Wash places in the New York, New Jersey area?

As I said, these concrete drops are now rock solid, do i have any hope of removing them without damaging the original paint? Should I call my insurance company?

Has anyone tried this cement remover http://www.topoftheline.com/cement-c...ver-auto.html?

Last edited by lexusthai; 04-03-07 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-03-07, 06:55 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be calling the insurance man before trying anything. I would guess the paint is already damaged by the cement since it's so corrosive. If it isn't, it will be when trying to remove the cement due to the abrasiveness.
Old 04-03-07, 07:39 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

White vinegar will do the job. Saturate pieces of paper towel and let it soak into the concrete. Vinegar will dissolve the concrete. Don't even think of rubbing this on your paint, let the vinegar do the work. Keep the paper toweling wet with vinegar for about 15 minutes and hose off and see if it is all gone. If not repeat. You will need to rewax after you dissolve the concrete.
Old 04-05-07, 02:52 PM
Premier
Pit Crew

Hey I had this happen to my car not too long ago, on my driver's side door. I went to my detailer and he was able to take care of it with no problems.
Old 04-11-07, 01:18 PM
lexusthai
Driver

Thanks for the replies. Yesterday I picked up my office car from the shop and asked the mechanics at the shop about the concrete on the hood. The auto detailer guy went inside his store, came back with a household razor blade and started to scrape off the concrete. I shockingly watched him razored off the concrete....

Amazingly, in the end, after auto detailing, no marks were left!

They charged me $200 to remove the concrete PLUS gave me full auto detailing both exterior and interior. Now the concrete is gone with no marks leftover (I picked up the car today around 2PM and got the chance to examine the paint under direct sunlight). Now the car is as new inside and out. Pheww..
Old 04-11-07, 09:46 PM
Premier
Pit Crew

Nice, good thing nothing happened to your car. Which detailer did you use if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-12-07, 10:59 AM
lexusthai
Driver

A&K Auto in Queens. My friends owns a shop there, fixing cars. I left my car with him and he asked a nearby auto body shop to do the detailing. The body shop said they used Japanese wax/polish. They got the concrete off alright, but the quality of the wax is nowhere near McGuiar's products.

I would recommend this place for fixing your car, but not for detailing, not one of their specialties anyway.

I have yet to try the 10th st. Auto Detailing in Manhattan (not the 10 Ave. car wash place).

Any good detailer in NJ Premier?
Old 04-13-07, 10:07 PM
Premier
Pit Crew

Ah ok. There's this place I go to in Bloomfield, NJ, Classic Car Care. He does a really good job at a reasonable cost. Uses 3M products. He was able to buff out scratches and get rid of the concrete with no problems.