Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Maintaining clearbra on IS

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-07 | 08:47 AM
crazy_vag
Driver

Default Maintaining clearbra on IS

I got my clearbra installed about a month ago. Now, I'm curious as to whether it has to be maintained in any way. I heard someone mentioned that it should be waxed. Is that required?

If so, can someone recommend some type wax that i can quickly apply after a car wash? I'm not looking into spending hours waxing the car, but would like to keep the clearbra in good shape with minimal effort on my IS.

Thanks for any tips.
Old 04-06-07 | 09:09 AM
Koz

The best product for a clear bra is Plexus - http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/plexus.html

Next best would be pure Carnuba Wax.

Koz
Old 04-06-07 | 01:58 PM
crazy_vag
Driver

Originally Posted by Koz
The best product for a clear bra is Plexus - http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/plexus.html

Next best would be pure Carnuba Wax.

Koz
Thanks Koz.

How often should I apply this product on the clearbra? Also, is that plexus thing safe for use on the non-clearbra portions of the car?
Old 04-06-07 | 02:09 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Why not call your installer - they should be able to tell you the best way to maintain your clearbra . . .
Old 04-12-07 | 02:05 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Plexus is fairly safe assuming you use it on your car when your car is clean w/ a clean microfiber cloth. Motorcycle riders commonly used Plexus. It is also good for Lexan which is notoriously easy to scratch. I use it on motorcycle helmet visors, windows, instrument gauge clusters, etc.. Good stuff.
Old 04-14-07 | 06:38 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

I have a Llumar clear bra and my installer told me to treat it as you would treat any other part of the exterior - use the same wax, car wash, etc.

My clear bra is currently Zaino'd and it works fine.
Old 04-14-07 | 12:12 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Question to those with white cars and clear bras, does dirt get stuck on the edges? If so, how do you deal with this?
Old 04-15-07 | 06:38 AM
dentpusher
Pole Position

Plexus works real well for most clear bras. I install them daily and found that though plexus works good, a quick detailer seems works a little better and can be used on the rest of the car. Meguiars final inspection or other quality product once a month or more keeps the film looking good. With the LLumar and Venture film you don't want to use a wax with dye in it like a lot of carnauba products. The film doesn't have a top coat and the wax will work its way in and stain the film.

There is always a chance for dirt to build up around the edges on clear bras. As long as the edges are sealed properly than it should clean up without any trouble. Using a damp lint free towel or quick detailer will remove the build up.

The cleaner you keep the clear bra the better it will look. This is very important on the films that don't have top coats like Venture and LLumar films.
Old 04-16-07 | 11:11 AM
yoyo1979
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dentpusher
The cleaner you keep the clear bra the better it will look. This is very important on the films that don't have top coats like Venture and LLumar films.

Does anyone know if the Lexus Dealer installed clearbra have a top coat?
Old 04-18-07 | 06:56 PM
dentpusher
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yoyo1979
Does anyone know if the Lexus Dealer installed clearbra have a top coat?
It would be best to call and find what your local dealer is using. Seems like most use 3M which is a hard coat film. Clear Shield is hard coat and Venture recently released a hard coat film as well. The Venture is the smoothest out of them all so if you have a dark colored car than that is the one to look for.
Old 04-18-07 | 08:25 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Question to those with white cars and clear bras, does dirt get stuck on the edges? If so, how do you deal with this?
get a small brush and have at it. An old toothbrush works... but I use a detail brush specifically made for such occasions to use on client's vehicles.