Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Question About Detailing A Brand New Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07, 02:54 PM
tmm0f5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Did it get rid of the micro scratches? My black 4 week old IS250 CAME from the damn dealer with tons of micro scratches and they have only gotten worse and it has only been washed 4 or 5 times all by the dealer... Plus I got suckered into that dumb perma plate deal and they just waxed right over all the micro scratches. So now Im wondering whether or not I should even bother trying the Megs NXT to get rid of them...
Some. My IS250 came with a few of those as well. It took care of most of them, but certainly not all. There is a small (1/2 cm in length) scratch to the side of the sunroof near the passenger side that is unchanged after the wax. The rest look much better.

-Tim
Old 05-01-07, 05:46 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Did it get rid of the micro scratches? My black 4 week old IS250 CAME from the damn dealer with tons of micro scratches and they have only gotten worse and it has only been washed 4 or 5 times all by the dealer... Plus I got suckered into that dumb perma plate deal and they just waxed right over all the micro scratches. So now Im wondering whether or not I should even bother trying the Megs NXT to get rid of them...
NXT will fill minor swirls but they will reappear in a few weeks. To get rid of them permanently you will need to use an abrasive polish. As long as you are letting your dealer wash (scratch) your paint you probably need to learn to live with an imperfect finish. I never let the dealer wash my cars.

Your options are:

1. Take your car to a professional detailer and have him polish out the defects. Expect to pay around $200-$300 for a full detail.

or

2. Purchase a PC and some supplies and detail your car yourself. Expect to pay around $200-$300 to purchase a PC and enough supplies to detail your car about 30 times. A full detail will take about 5-6 hours minimum.

In either case you will need to learn how to wash your car with a technique that doesn't cause marring or stick with Laser Touchless Auto washes and reapply your wax frequently.
Old 05-01-07, 05:55 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, you should not have taken delivery of your car if you find these defects in the paint. My mom's es300 had swirls in her car, and we refused to take delivery until they detailed it. The only way to remove them completely is to use an abrasive polish and a rotary buffer. however, swirls are going to be a part of any daily driven car. You CANNOT maintain a swirl free finish b/c its impractical and note that every time you have your swirls removed, you are removing paint from your car, and having this done too many times will result in premature clear coat failure.
Old 05-01-07, 08:25 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Wow, you should not have taken delivery of your car if you find these defects in the paint. My mom's es300 had swirls in her car, and we refused to take delivery until they detailed it. The only way to remove them completely is to use an abrasive polish and a rotary buffer. however, swirls are going to be a part of any daily driven car. You CANNOT maintain a swirl free finish b/c its impractical and note that every time you have your swirls removed, you are removing paint from your car, and having this done too many times will result in premature clear coat failure.
Well actually, removing swirls is more like removing clear coat, because if you remove paint, it'll actually stain your pads with paint residue.

I had my 07 Camry custom ordered, I picked it up the day it arrived at the dealership off the truck. I forgot to tell them not to wash it, but it seems they've already put it through an automated wash.

I get home and notice swirls under a halogen bulb and bust out a full detail. Your usually supposed to clay the car due to the fact that some cars are transported via railroads, and there may be rail dust on them. I was right, claying took off quite a bit of containments. I had to polish it quite well to get off most of the swirls. Adding on a caranuba wax topped it off and made my new car look perfect.
Old 05-01-07, 11:57 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Well actually, removing swirls is more like removing clear coat, because if you remove paint, it'll actually stain your pads with paint residue.
I thought Lexus black paints didn't use a clear coat? Otherwise, i meant clear coat as a paint. lol
Old 05-02-07, 01:32 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't know Meguiars NXT was just a sealant I thought it was a wax too?

If thats the case I guess I'll be buying a paste and waxing my car. First though I'm going to make sure it was meguiars NXT. My car is 7 months old and still looks new. I'll have to post some pics.. its hard to achieve a glare with Tungston Pearl but I have done it!
Old 05-02-07, 06:27 PM
MShybrid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
I didn't know Meguiars NXT was just a sealant I thought it was a wax too?

If thats the case I guess I'll be buying a paste and waxing my car. First though I'm going to make sure it was meguiars NXT. My car is 7 months old and still looks new. I'll have to post some pics.. its hard to achieve a glare with Tungston Pearl but I have done it!
Down South, we are plagued each year with "love bugs" as everyone knows, these are very hard to get off once they have dried and been there a while. NXT definately helps prevent them from sticking to the paint. I can usually just knock them off with a water hose and the rest comes off during the wash. I'm sold on it.
Old 05-15-07, 03:22 PM
sdub74
Rookie

My black IS250 is at the dealer right now being polished to remove the swirl marks they put there when I forgot to tell them "no wash" the last time I had it in for service. What should be my first steps when I get it back?

I was planning on washing and waxing with NXT this weekend, but now I'm seeing that it's only a sealant and that I should top it with a wax??? What's a good wax I can find at Pep Boys or Auto Zone? I heard about Meguairs #26, but I doubt that's in the store. I need something I can use this weekend.

Also, something that's easy to remove, as I don't own a buffer or anything other than elbow grease.
Old 05-15-07, 03:34 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by sdub74
My black IS250 is at the dealer right now being polished to remove the swirl marks they put there when I forgot to tell them "no wash" the last time I had it in for service. What should be my first steps when I get it back?

I was planning on washing and waxing with NXT this weekend, but now I'm seeing that it's only a sealant and that I should top it with a wax??? What's a good wax I can find at Pep Boys or Auto Zone? I heard about Meguairs #26, but I doubt that's in the store. I need something I can use this weekend.

Also, something that's easy to remove, as I don't own a buffer or anything other than elbow grease.
"...it's only a sealant..." Well sealants are better at protection than most carnauba wax products in my experience. I personally would just apply two coats of NXT, 24 hours apart. If you really want to top the sealant you need to use a wax that has no cleaners. Meguiar's #26 (Hi-Tech Yellow Wax) is one and is carried at a lot of OTC retail outlets.

BTW, according to Meguiar's, NXT Tech Wax (a sealant) is their most protective product.
Old 05-16-07, 01:58 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

After I purchased my Neptune Blue Mica (metallic navy blue), I had it clayed and sealed by a pro. After it was done, it looked like a different color! Flakes popped, brighter, very glossy.

If you're buying OTC products, I'd recommend getting a claybar, then sealing with NXT. Prep work is key, no matter what producdts you're using. If the paint is not properly prepped, the sealant will enhance it...good or bad.

If you're applying products by hand, I'd recommend looking into Zaino products. I used to be a loyal fan of Zaino until I got my pc and got much more deeper results. But, Zaino is still a great product.
Old 05-16-07, 07:42 AM
United #10
Pole Position

Is anyone try the Meguiar's #21 sealent? What is the different between #21, #26, & Gold class wax? Which one will last longer?

Thanks
Old 05-16-07, 08:18 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by United #10
Is anyone try the Meguiar's #21 sealent? What is the different between #21, #26, & Gold class wax? Which one will last longer?

Thanks
#21 is a very good sealant. It provides nearly the same highly reflective wet look of NXT and the shine lasts a long time. #26 Hi-Tech Yellow wax is a pure carnauba. Carnauba give a warmer, softer glow to the paint but IMO doesn't hold up to the summer heat as well as a sealant. Gold Class is a combo product containing both carnauba and polymers. It give a nice shine too. I believe #21 is the most reflective and protects the best. I would choose 21 as the product that would last the longest.
Old 05-16-07, 06:24 PM
sdub74
Rookie

Originally Posted by jfelbab
"...it's only a sealant..." Well sealants are better at protection than most carnauba wax products in my experience. I personally would just apply two coats of NXT, 24 hours apart. If you really want to top the sealant you need to use a wax that has no cleaners. Meguiar's #26 (Hi-Tech Yellow Wax) is one and is carried at a lot of OTC retail outlets.

BTW, according to Meguiar's, NXT Tech Wax (a sealant) is their most protective product.
24 hours apart? Can you drive the car in that time, or am I stuck hitching a ride for a day? Would it be OK to apply one layer Saturday morning, take it out on the town Saturday night and then dust with the California duster and the apply a second layer Sunday morning?
Old 05-16-07, 06:46 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by sdub74
24 hours apart? Can you drive the car in that time, or am I stuck hitching a ride for a day? Would it be OK to apply one layer Saturday morning, take it out on the town Saturday night and then dust with the California duster and the apply a second layer Sunday morning?
It doesn't take very long to apply and remove NXT. I usually do the initial prep and application of the sealant on one day and the next morning I apply the second coat. The time between coats is usually 12-16 hours which is fine.

If you need to drive the car I'd just use a quick detailer and remove any light dust and apply the second coat. If the car gets too dirty for a QD then a wash would be needed.

Two coats do look better and last longer than one.