Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Question About Detailing A Brand New Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-07, 08:56 PM
yoyo1979
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question About Detailing A Brand New Car

After reading a few threads, I just wanted to clarify that on a brand new paint job, the detailing does not have to be so complex? Meaning the polishing, cleaning, and claybar use isn't very necessary? I just washed my new 07 IS for the first time and i just washed and waxed with Meguiar's NXT. Did I miss a vital component to good car care?
Old 04-11-07, 09:47 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

Some people clay new cars because there can still be bonded contaminants, but I would say that it's not necessary. Washing and waxing your IS is fine although you could have used a paint cleaner and polish prior to waxing to add more shine .
Old 04-11-07, 11:34 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Do what you feel is needed in order to acheive the results you are looking for.

Just because it is a brand new car does not mean that the paint job is perfect. Alot of car dealers employ outside cleaners to keep the cars on their lots dust free. This involves pressure washing and drying off all of the cars on display in the lot. It can lead to swirl marks from the guys drying off the cars.
Old 04-12-07, 12:05 AM
TheSyndica
Driver

Not if you custom order baby
Old 04-17-07, 06:22 PM
SSSLex
Driver School Candidate

Default New Car Prep

Took mine out of the showroom, all nice and shiny and immediately had it washed, clay'ed and washed. Claying gently made a huge difference to the surface prep before starting to wax it. Looking at the grime that the claybar picked up (not much but it was still there) I'd say even a brand new car would benefit from a total clean up before waxing.
Old 04-25-07, 10:16 AM
tmm0f5
Driver School Candidate

Someone mentioned to me that I shouldn't wax my car (new 2007 IS250) for about 3-6 months because you could introduce swirls.

Is there any basis for this or any reason I shouldn't wax right off the bat (had the car about 10 days).

Thanks,
Tim
Old 04-26-07, 09:49 AM
b737dog
Rookie

Originally Posted by tmm0f5
Someone mentioned to me that I shouldn't wax my car (new 2007 IS250) for about 3-6 months because you could introduce swirls.

Is there any basis for this or any reason I shouldn't wax right off the bat (had the car about 10 days).

Thanks,
Tim
No basis for that. I washed, polished and waxed my IS350 two weeks after purchasing the car. Added a second layer of wax two weeks later after washing. Tried liquid souveran for the first time. Looks great but, I prefer paste wax. Get some protection on the paint and enjoy.
Old 05-01-07, 06:09 AM
MShybrid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yoyo1979
After reading a few threads, I just wanted to clarify that on a brand new paint job, the detailing does not have to be so complex? Meaning the polishing, cleaning, and claybar use isn't very necessary? I just washed my new 07 IS for the first time and i just washed and waxed with Meguiar's NXT. Did I miss a vital component to good car care?
Here's a good test to see if it needs clayed. Take some plastic food wrap and cover your hand with it. Lightlt brush it over your paint surface. If it drags and you feel things under it, you need to use the clay. Once the surface is good to go, coat it with a good sealant (Megs NXT) and follow up with a good carnuba wax.
Old 05-01-07, 07:02 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks,
Tim
Any new factory paint is fully cured when you get it and can (should) be waxed asap.

The only exception would be if the car was damaged in transit and touched up by the dealer. This paint would then not be fully cured and would need a couple months to cure before waxing.

Factory paint is cured in very hot chambers prior to being assembled. After things like the dash, seats, plastics, and electronics are assembled you can't heat the car to cure paint hence repaints take a lot longer for the paint to cure.
Old 05-01-07, 01:09 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yoyo1979
Just out of curiousity, how did it look after you did it look after using the Meg NXT?
Old 05-01-07, 01:29 PM
tmm0f5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Just out of curiousity, how did it look after you did it look after using the Meg NXT?
I also just used Meg NXT over the weekend on my 3 week old Lexus. I haven't done anything else to the car other than simple washings.

It looks great. I was pleased with the results.
Old 05-01-07, 01:31 PM
tmm0f5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Any new factory paint is fully cured when you get it and can (should) be waxed asap.

The only exception would be if the car was damaged in transit and touched up by the dealer. This paint would then not be fully cured and would need a couple months to cure before waxing.

Factory paint is cured in very hot chambers prior to being assembled. After things like the dash, seats, plastics, and electronics are assembled you can't heat the car to cure paint hence repaints take a lot longer for the paint to cure.
Thanks Jim. Yeah I looked at the "born-on" date.... which was 02/07. AFAIK, there was no touched up paint. So I used some NXT this weekend with great results.

Thanks for your info.

-Tim
Old 05-01-07, 01:31 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_r_
ben:

check out this link

http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147900
Old 05-01-07, 01:33 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

I also just used Meg NXT over the weekend on my 3 week old Lexus. I haven't done anything else to the car other than simple washings.

It looks great. I was pleased with the results.
Did it get rid of the micro scratches? My black 4 week old IS250 CAME from the damn dealer with tons of micro scratches and they have only gotten worse and it has only been washed 4 or 5 times all by the dealer... Plus I got suckered into that dumb perma plate deal and they just waxed right over all the micro scratches. So now Im wondering whether or not I should even bother trying the Megs NXT to get rid of them...
Old 05-01-07, 01:41 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kickin8
Thank you, I think thats what I was looking for... Now to just read through it all....

Quick Reply: Question About Detailing A Brand New Car