Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Can I dye an airbag / dash?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-07, 02:06 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Can I dye an airbag / dash?

I need to dye an airbag grey. Im wondering if anyone has a specific brand or product they have used with good success. I have used Rit and spray on dye in the past. I need to dye the entire airbag including the plastic portion the emblem sits on. Just wondering what else is out there or if there is a place that can do it for me.

Thanks,
Ki
Old 04-14-07, 04:14 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you need to dye the airbags? Aesthetics ?
Old 04-14-07, 10:03 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dyeing...You are basically painting it b/c they are plastics and don't absorb any dyes.
I think i could use a dye for my dash..its all faded from the oem brown
Old 04-15-07, 02:26 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i think it would be best not to tamper with the airbag in anyway

there are microscopic holes on the airbag area that u cant see with your eyes
those holes allow the plastic to break but not shatter and shoot out when the airbag pops
im guessing the dye could clog up those holes/pores and affect the way the airbag breaks the plastic when it pops
but im not sure on that
i would try to avoid messing with any bit of the airbag just to be safe

ive seen unique autosports on speedTV dying those parts

Last edited by UberNoob; 04-15-07 at 02:30 AM.
Old 04-15-07, 06:32 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with UberNoob, anything you do to the airbag could realistically damage or impede its function.

Think how you'd feel if you or a loved on was hurt or killed because it was tampered with and didn't operate properly, or at all?

On the face of it, changing its color might seem benign, but there is a science to the makeup of the bag that most of us are unfamiliar with. This is one item engineered as it is for a reason.

Just imagine what your insurance agent would say in the event he examined the car after a crash.

Ouch.
Old 04-15-07, 12:18 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Guitarman
I agree with UberNoob, anything you do to the airbag could realistically damage or impede its function.

Think how you'd feel if you or a loved on was hurt or killed because it was tampered with and didn't operate properly, or at all?

On the face of it, changing its color might seem benign, but there is a science to the makeup of the bag that most of us are unfamiliar with. This is one item engineered as it is for a reason.

Just imagine what your insurance agent would say in the event he examined the car after a crash.

Ouch.
Guitarman spits the truth
Old 04-16-07, 09:46 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarman
Think how you'd feel if you or a loved on was hurt or killed because it was tampered with and didn't operate properly, or at all? . . . . Just imagine what your insurance agent would say in the event he examined the car after a crash.
Same thing if you stiffen your suspension and reduce body roll. Guess what, your car will skid more and is more likely to loose control in bad weather. This argument can be made on most mods done to cars.

If you mod a car you mod a car. Yes, safety needs to be in mind at all times. If your #1 concern is the most amount of safety buy a volvo and dont mod it.

The reason why I need to dye it is because the airbag only comes in tan or black. I need grey. On most airbags, if you look close enough, you can see the faint break line. The airbag cover is designed to break a certain way by thinning out the cover in a pattern to control the break. Most airbags are made with a material closer to rubber than plastic, so I dont know what kind of shattering plastic you speak of. The Plastic logo on the airbag is more dangerous than any dye. (IMO) If an airbag has a hard logo on it they control the break below the logo. Also I have stripped the factory tan off an airbag before to reveal a black under the tan color that was applied. The material the airbag cover is made of is much stronger than the dye that would cover it.

But anyway, since the word airbag seems to have disturbed people... Does anyone have a brand of dye they would recomend for a pair of shoes similar in material to the "dash" in your Lexus.

Thanks,
Ki

P.S. I do take your word serious. Im opinionated in general, so please dont take it personal. Im not new to cars or modding in any way. I just need an answer to a specific question.