Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Wax won't come off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-07, 04:59 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Ok, now there are tiny white donts all over the paint, and they dont come off. What the hell happened, are these pores filled with wax, or did it ruin my paint?
When you draw your fingers over the paint does it feel smooth? Did you clay your paint before you waxed? Do these spots look like they are something sitting on the paint or pits in the paint that have collected wax? How old is the car? What color? Can you photograph the white spots? If this is dried wax in pits then you will need to clean your car with a paint cleaner or body solvent and then try using a wax that doesn't dry white like NXT Tech wax or Meguiar's #21 Synthetic Wax.

Last edited by jfelbab; 04-24-07 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-24-07, 05:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Those are most likely paint chips that's filled with wax.
Well, they are tiny white dots, almost as small as the metallic particles inside the paint. You can't see them from 3-4 feet away at all, but once you're upclose, they are all over. Anyway to get rid of them?
Old 04-24-07, 05:14 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well, they are tiny white dots, almost as small as the metallic particles inside the paint. You can't see them from 3-4 feet away at all, but once you're upclose, they are all over. Anyway to get rid of them?
Well if they are little droplets like paint overspray you can clay them off. If they are pits you might be able to minimize them with a PC or rotary and an aggressive polish. I'd caution that if the pits are deep enough to hold wax they probably cannot be completely removed. If you use the body solvent like Dupont Prepsol you can get the old wax out and then I'd use a glaze like Meguiar's #7 and follow up with NXT Tech wax or #21. These product won't dry white and will not be as obvious.
Old 04-24-07, 05:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
When you draw your fingers over the paint does it feel smooth? Did you clay your paint before you waxed? Do these spots look like they are something sitting on the paint or pits in the paint that have collected wax? How old is the car? What color? Can you photograph the white spots? If this is dried wax in pits then you will need to clean your car with a paint cleaner or body solvent and then try using a wax that doesn't dry white like NXT Tech wax or Meguiar's #21 Synthetic Wax.
Yep, that paint feels smooth - its a 1994 LS400, very dark green, almost black. I think they are pits that collected wax. I'm not even too worried about these dots, as long as they are not going to ruin my paint. They are only visible from way upclose, so as long as they aren't doing harm, I might leave them be.