Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

i want my old shine back lol

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07 | 06:49 AM
sexysc
Driver School Candidate

Default i want my old shine back lol

hey guys, the sc is starting to look a lil dul, swirl marks are noticable under the light i really wanna get her back into form now that the summer is here and it basically needs that deep glazing polishing touch... i go to pep boys and auto zone and there is like a million things to buy but i am when it comes to these things. any clues or tips???
Old 04-25-07 | 09:51 AM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

If your're self proclaimed cluless about detailng and detailing products, there is not much you can do personally to totally revive that original color/shine without power tools.

If you can afford an SC, you should just get it detailed for a few hundred bucks. It is truly amazing what you can do with a variable speed buffer, some rubbing compound and glaze. You won't regret it.

I've revived some pretty nastly looking cars to an amazing shine. It's not hard to learn how to do, but I would advise practicing a few times on a 1991 Buick LeSabre like I did thanks grandma!
Old 04-25-07 | 10:37 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

I agree. Unless you want to make serous jump into learning the right tools and techniques, then hire a prof. detailer to work on your car. Burning through your clear coat or adding more swirls to your finish will only increase your correction costs.

You will need to learn about the right polishes, power polishers (and pads), and sealant/waxes for your paint condition and color of your car. The best tools (which will produce the best results with the least amount of effort) are not usually available OTC and are mostly available only on-line.

Most beginners are better off hiring a pro to correct your abused finish and start by learning the correct way to wash your car without introducing swirls.