Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

NXT question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-07, 10:15 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by tmag
Sorry guys new to this level of shine addiction but what is DC on step 2 and 3. Just got my first bottle of NXT and clay bar can't wait to use it and start a new addiction. The pics rock Kick'n
DC = Meguiar's Deep Crystal
Step 1 is a paint cleaner
Step 2 is a non-abrasive polish (a.k.a. glaze)
Step 3 is a carnauba wax

Many prefer using NXT Tech Wax in place of the DC step 3.
Old 05-19-07, 03:02 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jim, got some products from the local auto place and planning on detail'ng next weekend, but as I said I'm a little green with this multi step detail. So a few q's here, I picked up "mothers" clay bar kit, which included a carnauba wax cleaner. As per the instruction I'm suppose to use it after the clay step. So if I'm going to put a layer of NXT, should I apply this cleaner before the sealer?

This was my plan:
1) wash
2) clay
3) ???? carnauba wax cleaner or NXT
4) #26 wax

Is this a good plan, also I will be doing all hand steps (I don't own and orbital)
What would be the least amount of work needed yet yield a good finish?
Thanks for any input.
Old 05-19-07, 03:29 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

This was my plan:
1) wash
2) clay
4) #26 wax

Is this a good plan, also I will be doing all hand steps (I don't own and orbital)
Thanks for any input.
you might need to wait for 12-24 hours between #3 and #4 as the polymer in the wax cross links......

I DO see a whole lot of difference after I wax the car vs. the next morning: very wet, with the clear mirror look!

Last edited by kickin8; 05-19-07 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-19-07, 03:31 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks Jim, got some products from the local auto place and planning on detail'ng next weekend, but as I said I'm a little green with this multi step detail. So a few q's here, I picked up "mothers" clay bar kit, which included a carnauba wax cleaner. As per the instruction I'm suppose to use it after the clay step. So if I'm going to put a layer of NXT, should I apply this cleaner before the sealer?

This was my plan:
1) wash
2) clay
4) #26 wax

Thanks for any input.
I seem to remember that Mother's clay kit comes with a "Cleaner/Wax" product. Are you sure it is just a cleaner?

In a perfect world, you would;
1. Wash using the two bucket (with grit guard) method and new sheepskin wash mitt. Dry with waffle-weave microfiber towel(s).

2. Clay

3. Apply a paint cleaner. Remove with microfiber towels

4. Apply a polish. Abrasive if needed to remove swirls. If no swirls use a pure polish (a.k.a. glaze). Apply a glaze if you use an abrasive polish too if you want a wetter look. Remove with microfiber towels.

5. Apply your Wax. NXT, #26 etc. Sealant like NXT should be applied before carnauba products like #26.

So this would be a major detail. If your car is new and/or the paint is in like new condition you can jump right to the sealant or wax after your clay..

Post some pics of your car. Try taking some sun shots before and after.

Have a great weekend.
Old 05-19-07, 06:27 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jim and Kick'n, ya my baby is only 3 weeks old and loving it. Will take pic, before and after and post them. I would do this job this weekend but she's getting her bra on tomorrow so I guess I can wait till next week.