Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

NXT question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-07, 01:23 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default NXT question

sometimes I wonder if I am getting "too" paranoid just to wax the car? I just have too many questions? I am afraid I will mess up the car.....as I am very new to this NXT thing and that's why i am worrying about something for nothing ?....

anyway, I think this one would be the last question for the WAX part:

Can I drive my car after I waxed with NXT? (Of course I know I can drive the car, but would the driving affect the wax?)

The reason why I asked is that I saw posts saything that the car should just left alone (dry) for 12 hours to let the wax crosslink. So if I drive the car (now messing with dust and other crap)....would it affect the final outcome of the gloss?

Thanks!
Old 05-05-07, 01:59 PM
cajunboy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most ppl wait for that long because they are going to put another layer of wax on it. This way the wax got time to cure and stay on the car. Hope this helps.
Old 05-05-07, 02:30 PM
tmm0f5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kickin8
sometimes I wonder if I am getting "too" paranoid just to wax the car? I just have too many questions? I am afraid I will mess up the car.....as I am very new to this NXT thing and that's why i am worrying about something for nothing ?....

anyway, I think this one would be the last question for the WAX part:

Can I drive my car after I waxed with NXT? (Of course I know I can drive the car, but would the driving affect the wax?)

The reason why I asked is that I saw posts saything that the car should just left alone (dry) for 12 hours to let the wax crosslink. So if I drive the car (now messing with dust and other crap)....would it affect the final outcome of the gloss?

Thanks!
I unfortunately live in an apt complex and have a carport as opposed to a garage that I can let the car sit in. so I go ahead and drive the car. It gets the same amount of pollen and dust in the 12 hours than if I let it sit. I haven't had any problems yet.
Old 05-05-07, 03:03 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

The best results, for both looks and durability, will be achieved if you don't get a sealant wet while it is curing. I can take 4-12 hours for a sealant to cure depending on temperature and humidity.

There are no sealant police that will arrest you if you drive your car in the rain. If it gets wet it gets wet. Life goes on. If you got the surface wet and a month later the dazzling shine is beginning to fade you can say; "Oh, yeah, I remember the car got rained on right after I waxed it."

Dust won't affect the sealant. Water is the one thing that can inhibit the proper bonding. Of, course that means not using a Quik Detailer for 12 hours too.

You really can't mess anything up. Water is just going to lessen your results. No big deal.
Old 05-05-07, 05:15 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've picked up the NXT but have yet to use. But having waxed my car with other products, I've generally had my car sit for several hours but not more than six.
Old 05-08-07, 01:58 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Thanks guys for all your precious inputs (esp to Jim)...finally waxed it on sat. here's the FINAL product...enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails NXT question-81.jpg  
Old 05-14-07, 12:20 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well what was your total process? From start to finish...
Old 05-15-07, 11:56 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Well what was your total process? From start to finish...
ben: took me ~3 hours to do that. i was new to nxt so i spend extra time not to "overwax" the vinal stuff....etc.

It came out really good.....i should have clay'ed it tho (didnt have that much time to do it cos the SF photoshoot the next day, I just want a wash/wax so I can take some pics of it)

1. Wash car with Optimum no rinse

2. Wax with NXT

3. Clean the wheels (took me a lot of time!)

4. tire dressing

5. Vacuum/clean interior.

NXT is fairly easy/simple.....no dust at all. Very shiny the next day (When the polymer crosslinked). You will love the results!

next time i will wash/clay/wax/wax a 2nd coat the next day!
Old 05-15-07, 01:30 PM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Nice results, you can definately see the gloss from the picture. I would definately recommend you clay bar it next time you do it. Took me 1-1.5 hrs on my GS400, but it is definately worth the results, specially if you wax afterwards. Again, good job
Old 05-15-07, 03:44 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

will definitely do that next time (I hope this layer can last me 3-5 months)!

cant imagine how smooth and shinly it will be !

Last edited by kickin8; 05-15-07 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-15-07, 04:20 PM
MShybrid
Pole Position

kickin,
Great looking car.
I have found that one coat of nxt looks great but for better results, follow up the next day with another coat. You can also go one step further and add a coat of #26 Megs or some other carnuba wax. It will give you a deeper wetter look than the nxt by itself
Old 05-16-07, 03:34 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Originally Posted by hybridhaul
kickin,
Great looking car.
I have found that one coat of nxt looks great but for better results, follow up the next day with another coat. You can also go one step further and add a coat of #26 Megs or some other carnuba wax. It will give you a deeper wetter look than the nxt by itself
thanks.....

I am already happy with the results right now (none of my previous car were this shiny!) and I think next time i just do the 2nd coat of NXT for durability.

cant afford (both $ and time) doing the extras this thing can be addictive (esp after you see the results!)
Old 05-16-07, 11:21 PM
tmm0f5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kickin8
thanks.....

I am already happy with the results right now (none of my previous car were this shiny!) and I think next time i just do the 2nd coat of NXT for durability.

cant afford (both $ and time) doing the extras this thing can be addictive (esp after you see the results!)
I went ahead and took it the extra step and was extremely happy with the results.

I did

1) Wash

2) DC #1

3) DC #2

4) NXT - then waited 24 hours

5) #26

I have a black sapphire '07 and it has that wet shiny and glossy look. Took me 5 hours for steps 1-4 and about an hour for #26 (had to do a quik detailer first). Well worth all the time. I hope this should last me for about 1-3 months.
Old 05-17-07, 09:26 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Originally Posted by tmm0f5
I went ahead and took it the extra step and was extremely happy with the results.

I did

1) Wash

2) DC #1

3) DC #2

4) NXT - then waited 24 hours

5) #26

I have a black sapphire '07 and it has that wet shiny and glossy look. Took me 5 hours for steps 1-4 and about an hour for #26 (had to do a quik detailer first). Well worth all the time. I hope this should last me for about 1-3 months.
picture time!
Old 05-18-07, 10:10 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Sorry guys new to this level of shine addiction but what is DC on step 2 and 3. Just got my first bottle of NXT and clay bar can't wait to use it and start a new addiction. The pics rock Kick'n

Quick Reply: NXT question