Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Keeping cleaning supplies & batteries in the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-07, 08:15 PM
LAGirl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Keeping cleaning supplies & batteries in the trunk

I don't have a garage, so I've been keeping all my car cleaning supplies (waxes, window spray, tire cleaner, etc.) in my SUV trunk. I assume this is okay since nothing adverse has happened...yet. Any opinions on whether this is safe as far as fumes, etc. - as well as okay for the products themselves?
(Weather-wise, I live in Los Angeles)

Thank you!

P.S. I also have batteries in a flashlight & a safety lantern. I assume this is safe too?
Old 05-08-07, 08:42 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It's okay to leave detailing products in your car, so as long as it's not leaking or exposed to very high heat. Watch out for those aerosol cans that has the 120 degree warning label. Though you should be safe with most car care products. However, the wax you need to be careful of. The liquid ones are okay, but the paste wax will melt if the temperature gets high enough.

I leave car products and batteries in my car all the time. The batteries and lights are there for emergencies. Hell, I consider the detailing spray and emergency item too. You never know when a bird might bomb you
Old 05-09-07, 07:26 AM
juniorsdad
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would suggest reading the labels closely...
many products recommend storing at room temperatures.
if you live in L.A., things in your trunk will get very hot, unless you park in a garage all of the time
as for batteries, separate the batteries from the flashlight and put both together in a ziplock plastic bag for emergencies; even though the flashlight is off, as batteries get old, some may leak and cause damage to the flashlight
Old 05-09-07, 09:40 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LAGirl
I don't have a garage, so I've been keeping all my car cleaning supplies (waxes, window spray, tire cleaner, etc.) in my SUV trunk. I assume this is okay since nothing adverse has happened...yet. Any opinions on whether this is safe as far as fumes, etc. - as well as okay for the products themselves?
(Weather-wise, I live in Los Angeles)

Thank you!

P.S. I also have batteries in a flashlight & a safety lantern. I assume this is safe too?
regular squeese spray bottle's ok...i wouldnt risk my trunk from explosion from an aerosol can, esp the weather in LA.......
Old 05-09-07, 06:48 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made the mistake a few times leaving my cleanng supplies in the trunk during the cold winter months. My cleaning wipes turned hard and liquid in a couple of bottles got frozen.
Old 05-14-07, 12:18 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kickin8
regular squeese spray bottle's ok...i wouldnt risk my trunk from explosion from an aerosol can, esp the weather in LA.......
I second that! I also wouldnt recommend leaving batteries back there...