Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

florida residents, bug problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 04:20 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to off-topic just a bit but I heard that those cicadas are hatching in places like Chicago right about now. Anyone living in those areas where the cicadas are coming out having them smack into your cars?
Old 05-27-07, 04:51 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Cicada's are wild, and huge. I would hate to see the damage of one of those plowing into you're car. I think those things would leave more than just a little bit of bug guts, maybe a few paint chips.
Old 05-27-07, 06:39 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Fortunately Cicadas don't fly much. They like to crawl out of the earth and up onto a tree trunk. They seldom seem to get into a car but when they do they've been know to cause accidents. I've not yet seen any in Southern Wsconsin so far this cycle.

Old 05-28-07, 08:40 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Two summers ago, the cicadas came out from the ground in the Northeast and I can't recall them smacking into my car. As ugly as they look with those red eyes, I would hate to see them on my hood and windshield. Right now it's just the other insects that I hate when driving at night.
Old 05-28-07, 11:11 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I use a very fine brush with some soapy water. Soak and agitate the brush and off they come. Every couple of days I apply a fresh spray of Meguiar's Quik Wax to the front surfaces of the car to keep it super slick so they don't stick to the paint as well and the clean-up goes easier.

Update: Last week I received a couple bottles of Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer, their new super slick detailer. This leaves the paint so slick I can't believe it. I can toss a towel on the hood and it slides across the whole hood. I'll report on the bug issue in a couple days but this looks very promising.

So far I haven't seen UQD in the stores. It was released on the 14th of May so you may need to order right from them if you want to try it out anytime soon.

Ok so here is the update and you're going to like it.

I was visiting friends and relatives over this Memorial day weekend and it's June bug season. I got a bunch of splatter. June Bugs for those who don't have them are just over a half inch long and splatter a bunch.

As I mentioned earlier I had used Meguiar's new Ultimate Speed Detailer product and felt it left the finish really slick. Well when I returned from my trip the front of the car was a mess. A light rinse with the hose washed them all off easily. I didn't even have to dry the car. I just removed the hose nozzle and let the water flow off the paint and there were no waterspots. Nothing stuck to the car's paint. The finish is still super slick and looks like it has just been detailed. I only wish I had used this stuff on the windshield. There I had to use a plastic sponge.

You really will be happy with this stuff to reduce the bug sticking issue.

Old 05-28-07, 08:52 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I headed out to Animal Kingdom yesterday too on US 27 and here is the result. I got home at 10 PM to wash the love bugs off. The car had a coat of Klasse AIO , 2 coats of NXT and a coat of P21S. The bugs didn't rinse right off I guess because they baked all day in the sun but with some scrubbing they all ended up as a pile of corpses on my driveway. I'm looking at getting a clear bra on my GS400 for sure.
Attached Thumbnails florida residents, bug problems ?-dsc_0065s.jpg  
Old 05-29-07, 01:00 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DHRP
I headed out to Animal Kingdom yesterday too on US 27 and here is the result. I got home at 10 PM to wash the love bugs off. The car had a coat of Klasse AIO , 2 coats of NXT and a coat of P21S. The bugs didn't rinse right off I guess because they baked all day in the sun but with some scrubbing they all ended up as a pile of corpses on my driveway. I'm looking at getting a clear bra on my GS400 for sure.
That is very disgusting. I remember starting a thread about bugs smacking into our cars but man I didn't have it like that. It looks like you drove through a swarm.
Old 05-29-07, 02:13 PM
MShybrid
Pole Position

DHRP
Thats some serious bugs
Old 05-29-07, 02:22 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

ok so in vancouver we dont have bug problems like you guys so i did a little googling, so for anybody else wondering about these bugs

love bug:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_bug

cicada
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada

and can i say they're both creepy as hell

jfelbab that's really impressive, i'd coat my entire car with that stuff! ... how much did it set u back?
Old 05-29-07, 06:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Another li'l tip that works for me. After cleaning the car, coat the front in a thin wipe of baby oil. Makes those suckers slide right off or pretty much avoid touching the paint anyway.
Old 05-31-07, 01:20 PM
E-Z ES300
Lead Lap

I live in Chicago, i so, so far, have seen a total count of 3 cicadas... Guess their hiding from me?... Windows are staying closed this summer!
Old 06-04-07, 06:02 PM
BlitzIS350
Pole Position

I made a trip to orlando and than to daytona in 2 days and than back to palm beach. my car literally was black in the front with bugs. my car is crystal white. i didnt want to use my wipers at all fearing that the existing bugs on the front windshield would create a bigger mess......luckily it rained one night and i managed to use that along with wiper fluid to clean some of the bugs off. those lovebugs are horrid down here. after all the rain we had a few days ago, there have been a ****load of gnats that hatched....EVERYWHERE! you get into your car, they follow you in. i had to kill at least 5-10 of them while i was driving as they flew around inside my car
Old 06-06-07, 09:18 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlitzIS350
I made a trip to orlando and than to daytona in 2 days and than back to palm beach. my car literally was black in the front with bugs. my car is crystal white. i didnt want to use my wipers at all fearing that the existing bugs on the front windshield would create a bigger mess......luckily it rained one night and i managed to use that along with wiper fluid to clean some of the bugs off. those lovebugs are horrid down here. after all the rain we had a few days ago, there have been a ****load of gnats that hatched....EVERYWHERE! you get into your car, they follow you in. i had to kill at least 5-10 of them while i was driving as they flew around inside my car
US 27 in Florida is a very special road to drive this time of year. During the day, you kill hundreds (thousands?) of love bugs, and at night you top them with thousands (at least) of gnats, with the occasional large THUMP of a random large something-or-another splatting the windshield to round things out.

I know what you mean about the route you took. I went Orlando to Daytona to Ft. Lauderdale. Can you say "carnage"? My favorite, though, is when people tailgate tractor trailers to avoid getting bug guts on their cars. They fail to realize that the large vehicle 3 feet in front of their bumper is throwing rocks and debris all over the car, usually damaging the paint.

The only solution during May and September is to stay home.
Old 06-06-07, 09:59 PM
HYPERBOY
Lexus Test Driver

crazy stuff with all these love bugs just driving on sr 84 for like 5 mins and my car and windsheld was covered......
Old 06-07-07, 07:27 AM
BUSTN
Instructor

Hows about blue painters tape?? I am heading down to miami in a couple of weeks. Will that block the acid from reaching the paint?

Quick Reply: florida residents, bug problems ?