Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

florida residents, bug problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-07, 11:38 AM
lexluger71
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default florida residents, bug problems ?

cl members living in florida , what are yall using to take that lovebug acid off yall car. i tried bug and tar , but seems not to work. i have to go to the car wash 4 or 5 times a week. i am trying not to ruin my paint ,these damn bugs are getting annoying.
Old 05-21-07, 11:44 AM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

OMG! I was waiting for this thread to come up i used to detail so when i was i use my bug bar and high speed buff and polish, but i think im gonna do the clear bra this summer.
Old 05-21-07, 11:53 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

love bugs are pretty bad right now. it takes a little elbow grease and soap and water to get them off and the sooner the better.
Old 05-21-07, 01:59 PM
lexluger71
Pole Position

so you mean to tell me these bugs will be here the whole summer.. my windshield look like crap right. i might need new wipers.
Old 05-21-07, 02:03 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Well on my cars and my GF's i use a spray wax and a microfiber towel to clean the bumpers, mirrors, and windshield. They haven't been to bad this week but the last two weeks were bad.. With these water restrictions in my area it harder to keep the cars clean.. but Its doable..
Old 05-22-07, 05:37 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

How about this? I have had very good luck with other products from them.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11213
Old 05-22-07, 07:04 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I use a very fine brush with some soapy water. Soak and agitate the brush and off they come. Every couple of days I apply a fresh spray of Meguiar's Quik Wax to the front surfaces of the car to keep it super slick so they don't stick to the paint as well and the clean-up goes easier.

Update: Last week I received a couple bottles of Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer, their new super slick detailer. This leaves the paint so slick I can't believe it. I can toss a towel on the hood and it slides across the whole hood. I'll report on the bug issue in a couple days but this looks very promising.

So far I haven't seen UQD in the stores. It was released on the 14th of May so you may need to order right from them if you want to try it out anytime soon.
Old 05-22-07, 03:53 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love bugs killed my wife's '06 Mazda 5's hood. The acid ate through 2 coats of wax and etched the hood right through the paint. I hit about 3 big swarms on the way home today. I try and spray the front of the car when I get home. If you can go for the clear bra it's worth it.
Old 05-22-07, 04:06 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Going down 295 and 9A almost everyday guarantees a full front bumper covered in those little buggers. Just a standard wash gets them off. Maybe some heavy duty 50 grit sand paper *I'm kidding about the sand paper*
Old 05-22-07, 04:23 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
How about this? I have had very good luck with other products from them.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11213
How are the products from griots garage. i recently got a catalog and get emails from them. there a little pricey but looks like good quality products..
Old 05-22-07, 07:51 PM
MShybrid
Pole Position

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Today I made a trip from MS to Houston Tx, on I-10, and the bugs were horrible. Once at the hotel I was able to take a wet microfiber towel and literally wipe them off the front of the car. Prior to making the trip, I double layered Meguiars NXT and topped it off with a coat of Meguars 26. This really helps when trying to prevent acid damage from the bugs
Old 05-22-07, 08:57 PM
IndecentSC
Lexus Test Driver

there was this product from rain-x i used on my car..It worked great, spray it on before you wash and it cleans.

Tony
Old 05-23-07, 03:29 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lexluger71
cl members living in florida , what are yall using to take that lovebug acid off yall car. i tried bug and tar , but seems not to work. i have to go to the car wash 4 or 5 times a week. i am trying not to ruin my paint ,these damn bugs are getting annoying.
Just came back from Disney World yesterday. I took US 27 south. I never hit/saw sooo many lovebugs in my life. As soon as I got home I washed my vehicle. I had to let the front of the vehicle soak with the soap for about 15-20 min to loosen the bug guts. I then went over the front a total of 2-3 times and everything came off. If you let it bake on there for days you will have some paint damage.
Old 05-23-07, 05:40 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
How are the products from griots garage. i recently got a catalog and get emails from them. there a little pricey but looks like good quality products..
I have used their Interior Cleaner, Rubber Cleaner, and Vinyl & Rubber Dressing and they all work great. Their warranty is good so if you buy something and it does not work the way you thought it would just let them know and they will take care of it.
Old 05-23-07, 05:17 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

just wondering.. why not just put painter's tape over your whole bumper and hood and w/e the bugs hit?

a lil "shield" but the downside.. u cant wash ur car with it >.>

Quick Reply: florida residents, bug problems ?