Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clay Kit vs. Paint Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-07, 02:11 PM
Ckroush
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clay Kit vs. Paint Cleaner

Easy question for you guys, but I'm confused...

I just bought Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit as well as the Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner and #7 Glaze. I already have tons of paste wax here.

Can I substitute the paint cleaner for the clay bar or are they two seperate processes? This "Paint Cleaner" claims to do the same thing, remove surface contamination.

Last edited by Ckroush; 05-24-07 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-24-07, 03:01 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The paint cleaner mainly removes tar and waterspots and light surface contamination, while the clay bar removes everything.
You can substitute the clay bar for the paint cleaner though.
Old 05-26-07, 07:17 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Always start with clay. The clay will lift any contaminants in the paint. I've never used Deep Crystal, but any Paint cleaner is normally used to clean the paint and prepare it for LSP (last step product), aka wax.

Depending on what "look" you are looking for, you could use all products for added gloss. Clay, cleaner, glaze, then wax.

If you don't have the time, I'd get a sealant. Then clay, seal, wax (optional). The sealant is your layer of protection.

Good luck! Post some pics when you're done.
Old 05-26-07, 07:51 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Before clay bar came along, paint cleaner were used to acheive the same result. But since clay bar is easier to use nowadays, paint cleaners are becoming obsolete.
Old 05-30-07, 12:19 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

If its this cleaner

http://www.meguiars.com/?auto-paint-...-Paint-Cleaner

Ive used it and it works good. But i would still use they clay first, then use the cleaner. The clay will remove surface contaminates that will be stuborn with the cleaner, and then the cleaner will remove some stuff the clay wont. My paint was jacked up and the clay or polish wouldnt touch it, but the cleaner worked. ive also used the polish

http://www.meguiars.com/?car-polishe...-System-Polish

Its like a three step system of polishes and claners ending with a carnuba wax. I just used NXT paste wax instead.

Thats my two cents worth
Old 05-31-07, 12:19 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They clay and cleaner are still separate products, each with value....I'd use both. The clay will remove surface contaminants, overspray, etc. The cleaner can go one step further and help with micromarring and maybe even fine swirls. (It's not a replacement for a polish, but if you don't want to go to that extent it's still a fine product.)

All the products you bought are great. Depending on the color of your vehicle, the glaze may not offer much to the eye. If it's a dark color, it (the glaze) will definitely help hide some swirls and imperfections. This is temporary though - don't expect much durability. You can top the glaze with a sealant or a wax. As mentioned above, a good sealant is great defense from surface contamination and swirls. On a light color with pearl - or any color with a lot of metallic - it'll also make the finish really pop. You can top with wax if you'd like for more wetness and reflection.
Old 05-31-07, 04:09 PM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've never used a paint cleaner but clay bars are my best friend

They work excellent for removing almost everything!
Old 05-31-07, 05:45 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is absolutely no way a paint cleaner can achieve what a clay bar can do.

With that being said, try this. Grab a ziploc bag, stick your hand in it and run it over your hood. It will feel like sandpaper. Do 1/2 with the clay bar and do the other with the paint cleaner. Run your hand in the ziploc bag over both sides.

I'll bet any amount of money the paint cleaner cannot achieve the results of a clay bar.

Steve