Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scuff marks on the back of the front seats IS250

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-07, 07:30 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scuff marks on the back of the front seats IS250

Help........... did something dumb, kept storing my sunshade(wired edges) in the pocket behind the front seat with out thinking about it. Now I noticed the middle part (feels like hard plastic) has multiple scuff marks. . How do you guys clean/remove scuff mark on plastic parts safely. I've searched some threads, and saw some people using a bit of softscrub on scuffplates. Is this ok to use on the seats? Or will I be better to use some other product. Thanks need to fix my DUH moment.
Old 05-26-07, 06:33 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, give some leather cleaner a shot. If it doesn't work at least you'll know you tried the most benign product, then you can move to the other stuff. Lexol, Meguiar's, even Murphy's Oil Soap is worth a try. All are gentle.

One thing that's along the lines of SoftScrub (slightly abrasive) is the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

It usually works quite well on what you're describing, when nothing else does, but remember, it does so due to it's abrasiveness. Wet it, and rub lightly, always. If you rub it hard or for too long, you'll see a dull spot or possibly break through the clear protective layer. Then you have a bigger problem. But I've used it successfully on many interior scuffs/spots, when used cautiously.

Best of luck.
Old 05-27-07, 07:04 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Thanks Guitarman
Old 05-27-07, 07:55 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dishwashing soap removed some shoe scuffs from the back of my seats
Old 05-31-07, 10:55 AM
tmag
Pole Position

Thanks for all the advise but need more help...
It looks and feel like the back of the seats were actually leather wrapped not plastic. So I tried as per guitar's advise first, Meg's inter quick detail = no go,
then I tried lexol leather cleaner followed by leather conditioner also no go... finally tried a little soft scrub on a wet mf towel.... actually looked bad looked like it dried the area a bit so I stoped and re-applied some more leather conditioner.. now it back to square one but atleast did not do additional damage from the soft scrub step. I'm a little worried about trying the Mr. clean magic eraser... any other ideas? The marks actually looks like scratches on the leather more than scuffs. I'll try to post some pics later if that will help. Thanks again in advance

Originally Posted by Guitarman
First, give some leather cleaner a shot. If it doesn't work at least you'll know you tried the most benign product, then you can move to the other stuff. Lexol, Meguiar's, even Murphy's Oil Soap is worth a try. All are gentle.

One thing that's along the lines of SoftScrub (slightly abrasive) is the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

It usually works quite well on what you're describing, when nothing else does, but remember, it does so due to it's abrasiveness. Wet it, and rub lightly, always. If you rub it hard or for too long, you'll see a dull spot or possibly break through the clear protective layer. Then you have a bigger problem. But I've used it successfully on many interior scuffs/spots, when used cautiously.

Best of luck.
Old 05-31-07, 02:39 PM
Guitarman

If the leather is actually scratched/damaged, it's not likely you'll remove the mark(s).

Just like paint where a smudge can be removed via a solvent cleaner, a scratch has to be filled with paint or polished out via abrasives. The latter being something you can't do to leather without refinishing/ redyeing it.

The Mr Clean Product can't help that either. Pics would be great though, so we could give the best advice.
Old 06-06-07, 12:08 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Guitarman
If the leather is actually scratched/damaged, it's not likely you'll remove the mark(s).

Just like paint where a smudge can be removed via a solvent cleaner, a scratch has to be filled with paint or polished out via abrasives. The latter being something you can't do to leather without refinishing/ redyeing it.

The Mr Clean Product can't help that either. Pics would be great though, so we could give the best advice.
Thanks Dan for all your advise,
Tried to take a few pics but just couldn't get a good image. But I did notice that the marks are less visible now after a did a few more sessions with the lexol lether conditioner. So maybe a few more treatments will do the job.
Old 06-06-07, 03:39 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the sunshade in there. That way no one will see the mark.

j/k, but seriously, I use 303 products. Either the spot cleaner or aerospce protectant to remove scuffs and also to protect the entire interior.

I agree with Dan, get some pics up so we can help assess the damage better.
Old 06-09-07, 01:41 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Default pics

OK guys finally got off my **** here are the pics. of the scratches, again this is after 2 applications of lexus cleaner then cond. You can see the scratches more on the bottom portion, I guess I missed the pockets a few times when I was storing the shade. Still haven't tried the magic eraser, little worried to cause more damage.
Attached Thumbnails Scuff marks on the back of the front seats IS250-cimg0535a.jpg  
Old 06-09-07, 01:43 PM
tmag
Pole Position

different angle? still kinda hard to see but there are some scuff marks on the top area also.
Attached Thumbnails Scuff marks on the back of the front seats IS250-cimg0534a.jpg  
Old 06-09-07, 02:18 PM
Guitarman

Still not possible to give you an absolute, but it appears to me to be damage to the surface.

You could give the Magic Eraser a quick, light wipe, and see what happens. It wouldn't cause any damage at all done briefly, and that would tell you if it's something ON the surface or if something DAMAGED the surface. Remember to wet/ ring out / dampen the eraser first.

Or try the soft scrub. 6 of one, half dozen the other...

Good luck!