Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Big crack chip? How to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 12:16 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Big crack chip? How to fix?

So I just saw this on my car.. What happened? A rock hit it and did that cause the chipping seen or did all the rain here cause it to bubble up like that?

Becides that... How do I fix this thing!!! I think a shop would be too expensive for me... I do have that Langia kit thing, but that chip is huge and half attached... Do I want to pry the thing off? I'm afraid of my hood rusting... it rains alot up here.

Thanks for any suggestions

Old 05-29-07, 05:30 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, while leaving it alone is probably the best cosmetic thing you can do, it's the worst thing in terms of preventing further problems, so you'll have to pry up the part that's lifting, because water will get under it. In other words, you don't have much choice but to do SOMETHING.

A shop can do it, or a detailer, but so can you. Just use a sanding pencil after you remove it, then prime and touch up. The Langka kit will work, just take your time.

If it scares you to try then the only thing you can do is find someone to give you an estimate and leave it in their hands.

Hey...stuff happens unfortunately, but, there are ways to fix them, and this can be fixed, don't panic, just...'get er done'...and you'll be a happy camper again, and prevent further, bigger problems.

P.S. I always tell people in situations like this; Give it a shot yourself, if you don't do it well or aren't happy with the result then you can just take it to someone.

Good luck,
Old 05-29-07, 05:34 AM
Guitarman

I might also add, that I've seen/ heard of some people squeezing clear glue ( i.e. crazy glue or 2 part epoxy) under it to try and keep it in place. May work, may still rust.

You could try that then take your chances...keeping an eye on it till you see some rust etc.

Good luck
Old 05-29-07, 08:47 AM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks. When break gets here I'll go buy a thing of primer and go pry up the chip. With all the rain here i'm sure it has rusted a bit. I assume I'll be able to find this sanding pencil thing a the auto store. My dad said to pry it up, and if its in one piece, clean the car side and the chip side, get some uv epoxy, and put it back. If I did this, do you think I could fill in any side crack with the langia kit? Or would it be better off just taking it all off and using the touch up paint?

Thanks!
Old 05-29-07, 02:13 PM
Guitarman

Originally Posted by silkiechic
Thanks. When break gets here I'll go buy a thing of primer and go pry up the chip. With all the rain here i'm sure it has rusted a bit. I assume I'll be able to find this sanding pencil thing a the auto store. My dad said to pry it up, and if its in one piece, clean the car side and the chip side, get some uv epoxy, and put it back. If I did this, do you think I could fill in any side crack with the langia kit? Or would it be better off just taking it all off and using the touch up paint?

Thanks!
Well, you could always try your dad's suggestion, and if it doesn't work, the Langka makes it easy to remove whatever touchup you fill in around it. Then you just go back to square one and start with the langka on the whole spot.

Lexus does a good job of electrogalvanizing on it's sheet metal, so there may not be any rust there yet. Then you merely have to lightly scuff it & fill in in /build it up via the langka.

Good luck!