Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Too much waxing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-07, 12:29 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Too much waxing?

Is it possible to wax your car too much? Like say if I do it once a week would that be too much? I just love doing it and find it really fun and rewarding...

Thanks,
Elliott
Old 06-01-07, 01:00 PM
greenvy2k
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think there is such a thing as waxing too much. i know somebody that does it everytime they wash there car. but the detailers i know apply a light coat of wax every week. applied in straight motions not in circular. if you do it that often you would only need to apply a light coat.
Old 06-01-07, 01:40 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wax - or sealant - should always be applied very lightly. Anything that can't bond to the finish is a waste and will be very difficult to remove.

By all means, wax once a week. You'll run into diminishing returns, but you definitely won't hurt anything, and it'll allow you to inspect the vehicle on a regular basis.

FWIW I generally do a full detail every six-nine months (Wash, clay, polish, sealant, wax) and then reapply topcoat once a month. I wash once a week.
Old 06-01-07, 04:31 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

I wax every time i wash my car (every two weeks)
You don't hurt the paint in anyway at all. the paint can only hold a limited amount of wax, so every time you wax/add many layers of wax, there is a limit and you are then just wasting wax. Just make sure you remove the old wax before you add new wax, so its more effective. Also, remember to use high quality wax. Waxing every week seems a little too much. You could buy a bottle of quick spray on wax to use in between waxing to maintain the just waxed look.
Old 06-01-07, 10:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I wax once every god knows when

But I definitely need a polish though. Kind of lazy since I have swirls all over
Old 06-02-07, 07:54 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Wax will bond to itself. So, as long as you're using the same product, do not remove one layer before applying a second. As I mentioned, there are diminishing returns, but the more layers the better...for protection, and generally for appearance (depth of color, wetness, reflectivity).

A high quality detail spray is a good alternative for in-between applications of wax. Just make sure it's compatible with the topcoat you're using. You'll save time, wax, and will likely not notice a difference. You can spend that extra time sealing your wheels to prevent brake dust build-up.
Old 06-02-07, 09:58 AM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Yea, well i'm off today to wax again

Damn this stuff is fun. I think i'm gonna go and wax the wheels too!

Old 06-02-07, 04:06 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

OEM lexus wheels have a factory clearcoat, so you should be waxing those every time also
Old 06-02-07, 05:42 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wax about once a month. Sometimes less. More than once a month is not necessary. You're just waxing the wax. Unless you're washing the car twice a week with high concentration of soap.

Some waxes do hurt the finish when used excessively. Cleaner wax is just that, it cleans and removes surface pollutants. It has higher concentration of petroleum which will weaken your clearcoat over time. Same for polishes. Plain old carnauba wax shouldn't be a problem though.
Old 06-02-07, 07:45 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

I'll wash my car every week or two but waxing it every week will be too much only because it can be time consuming
Old 06-02-07, 10:57 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Using wax on your wheels is a waste of time, but I definitely recommend either a good paint sealant or dedicated wheel sealant, which will be much more durable against heat, grime, and brake dust.
Old 06-02-07, 10:59 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I never wax my wheels. If they get dirty, i just use carsoap and a wheel brush. Works wonder on OEM chrome wheels
Old 06-02-07, 11:42 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

I waxed the wheels today...I can't tell if it's just me or what but they do look better and "wet" looking now. Who knows!

Haha I think i'll be waxing once a week or so now that it is summer
Old 06-03-07, 08:50 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I never wax my wheels. If they get dirty, i just use carsoap and a wheel brush. Works wonder on OEM chrome wheels
I probably wouldn't wax stock wheels but aftermarket wheels definitely should be waxed or polished. Much less for chrome, probably every other week for polished wheels. I tried not to regular wax and it showed on the maya's. I waxed the rear lip often because it was bigger and hardley ever waxed the front. It's the 2 front that need more attention and refurbishing. Even chrome needs to be waxed but no more than once a month, probably every other month. Wheels take too much punishment to not give proper care.