Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

New to detailing, need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-07, 02:51 AM
ByoungWoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to detailing, need help

Okay, so i've decided to start taking care of my car myself instead of paying someone $150 to detail the car everyone other month. I plan on buying a Porter Cable 7424/7336 and i've already got some wax (NXT in the bottle). As you can tell, i'm new to detailing cars. Can some of you guys give me any suggestions as to which pads and polishers I need to buy and where I can buy them? Should I use any other products on my car to make it look glossy? When do I do each step...I know you wash>clay>wax>polish....when do you apply the scratch removal products? Thank in advance.
-ByoungWoo

btw...do you guys think this is worth the money?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porte...spagenameZWDVW

or should I just buy 3 extra polishing pads for $25

Last edited by ByoungWoo; 06-02-07 at 04:09 AM.
Old 06-02-07, 07:57 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You actually wash > clay > polish > wax. Wax is always your final step. You can even add ones in between there if you'd like (i.e. 'glaze' and 'sealant' between 'polish' and 'wax'). In any case, the polish step is where your real work will lie. It'll remove the micromarring, swirl marks, and light scratches, leaving your finish ready for topcoat.

I'd recommend checking out www.autopia.org, www.autogeek.net, and www.properautocare.com. All great sites for learning about the PC, and they have pads, backing plates, etc.

For what it's worth, if you tell me the color of your car I'll be happy to recommend some products. In terms of pads, I really love the Lake County line. Their orange pad is my workhorse for polishing.
Old 06-02-07, 09:15 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I too recommend Lake Country pads. They work well for various types of paints. I dont see myself using anything else anytime soon. I use my LC pads with my PC and Rotary.
Old 06-02-07, 10:47 AM
ByoungWoo
Lead Lap

Awesome, thank you guys for your help...the color of my car is smokey granite mica. How many different pads do I actually need? One for polishing, one for waxing, and one for buffing? Also, what products are good to get swirls and scratches out of your car? Thanks

Last edited by ByoungWoo; 06-02-07 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-02-07, 04:04 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PorterCable's buffers are pretty nice, but are a little on the heavy side. BTW, if you are new at buffing with a rotary buffer, you should practice on an old car..It takes no time at all to burn through all the paint on your car
Old 06-02-07, 10:55 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Polishing and buffing are generally considered the same. It's really up to you - how much do you want to do with the machine, and how much by hand? I prefer to apply polishes by machine and topcoats by hand, but that's certainly subjective.

I really love the Menzerna line of polishes, but for folks just getting into detailing I always recommend the Poorboy's line. SSR2.5 and either SSR1 or Pro Polish would be perfect polishes. On your color I'd recommend either EX if you only want to use one topcoat, or EX-P followed by Natty's Blue wax if you're up for applying a sealant and topping it with a wax.

Again, this is really subjective. There are literally dozens of awesome product brands out there. Read up, ask questions, and have fun.
Old 06-04-07, 02:59 AM
ByoungWoo
Lead Lap

Is that a good price for a PC with pads? Should I just buy the PC alone and buy lake country pads instead?
Old 06-04-07, 11:23 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by VroomVroom
I really love the Menzerna line of polishes

Another Menzerna user!!!
Old 06-05-07, 02:38 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Menzerna, Chemical Guys, and the XMT line. Check out pakshak.com and definitely get a jar of Chemical Guys, Pete's 53 paste wax. Made for metallics and dark colors, it's done wonders on my Neptune Blue Mica.
Old 07-03-07, 08:14 PM
nrsk4u
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tuan92129
PorterCable's buffers are pretty nice, but are a little on the heavy side. BTW, if you are new at buffing with a rotary buffer, you should practice on an old car..It takes no time at all to burn through all the paint on your car
you cant burn paint with a rotery buffer though
Old 07-05-07, 12:23 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=VroomVroom;2664474]You actually wash > clay > polish > wax. Wax is always your final step. QUOTE]

sorry, shouldnt you wash, clay, WASH, polish, wax? i bought a clay bar, but, havent clay my car yet. but just curious. i think thats what the instructions say. i could be wrong?
Old 07-05-07, 01:26 PM
GSteg
Rookie

You can do that if you want. Most of the time, wiping the panel off with a clean towel should pick up the contaminents. Besides, the contaminants should be stuck to the clay bar anyhow.
Old 07-05-07, 03:07 PM
Nuster
Driver

I'm reading through this threat and feeling like I'm reading another language where I can read, but cannot comprehen.

Is there an autodetailing/car waxing stickies for dumbies? I thought if one wants to wax/polish the car, all one needs to do are wash, then apply the wax and buff it out. Taaadaaa...and everying is shining and spanking new again.

But, appearently it's not like that. What does one need to have to keep the paint shine and glossy?

Thanks for the all the inputs.
Old 07-05-07, 03:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

you do not need to clay bar if your paint is still good. I only clay once every 6 months and that's enough to keep the paint smooth.

To keep it shiny and gloss, just wash your car.

How much gloss and shine you want depends on everything.

Some people occassionally polish/wax their car once every month or two. It's all relative. No one does exactly the same thing. You can wash and apply wax if you want. Most people polish their paint to get rid of swirl marks and ugly defects. My car has swirls everywhere, but i just wash and wax for now because I dont have time to polish it, and no one but me notices the swirls

check out www.autopia.org. Kind of boring forum, but there are lots of useful information on there.
Old 07-13-07, 05:35 PM
JefSpicoli
Driver School Candidate

does one really only need to polish twice a year and wax 4 times a year? wow. i've been going about it all wrong. Also, can someone recommend a line of wax, polish, applicators for a tungsten pearl IS? thanks.

Quick Reply: New to detailing, need help