Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Applying wax: back and forth motion or circular?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-07, 01:53 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Applying wax: back and forth motion or circular?

I just read an earlier post about someone applying wax in a back and forth method rather than the circular application.. I;ve always ised the circular motion on my cars and don't seem to have any issues.. I'm sure the difference maybe swirl marks from the circular motion but is there a benefit from applying back and forth? I guess it would be back and forth and than up and down right instead of the circular motion..Thanks

Tony
Old 06-04-07, 01:55 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I use vertical and horizontal motion myself.

If you're creating swirls by waxing in a cirular motion, then either the wax is abrasive, of the paint/pad is dirty. Wax should be slick and not induce any swirls into the car, regardless if you apply it in cirular motion or in a linear fashion. If you think about it, using a random orbital polisher applies wax in a cirular motion too
Old 06-04-07, 02:04 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by GSteg
I use vertical and horizontal motion myself.

If you're creating swirls by waxing in a cirular motion, then either the wax is abrasive, of the paint/pad is dirty. Wax should be slick and not induce any swirls into the car, regardless if you apply it in cirular motion or in a linear fashion. If you think about it, using a random orbital polisher applies wax in a cirular motion too
Well H i don't create swirl marks in a circular motion. I'm pretty **** when it comes to pads and MF towels.. I just wanted to know if there was a better way to apply wax.. and yes the orbitals go in a circular fashion so i think i'm ok..

Thanks H..
Old 06-04-07, 03:56 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When applying by hand I always do back-to-front on horizontal surfaces and up-down on vertical ones. If you're applying with a light enough touch...which you obviously should when applying topcoats...it shouldn't matter, but I've always been OCD about such stuff. For me this method also makes it easy to apply a very light, uniform coat.
Old 06-04-07, 04:53 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by VroomVroom
When applying by hand I always do back-to-front on horizontal surfaces and up-down on vertical ones. If you're applying with a light enough touch...which you obviously should when applying topcoats...it shouldn't matter, but I've always been OCD about such stuff. For me this method also makes it easy to apply a very light, uniform coat.
Well i think i put to much force into waxing. By all means its not light at all. I should ease up on the pressure when waxing and I'll try the front to back method next time i wax. I guess i was always worried about getting the wax into the paint and didn't realize that you don't need a lot of force to apply the wax..

Thanks for tip.
Old 06-04-07, 05:52 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You DO NOT create different swirl marks by waxing/waxing or drying in either a circular or back/forth motion. Swirl scratches only appear circular b/c of the lighting, and the whole point is to keep swirls off the car, so even if you did wax in a back and forth motion, you would still be adding swirls anyway. Make sure you applicator pads are clean and that the towels are microfiber.
Old 06-04-07, 08:05 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by tuan92129
You DO NOT create different swirl marks by waxing/waxing or drying in either a circular or back/forth motion. Swirl scratches only appear circular b/c of the lighting, and the whole point is to keep swirls off the car, so even if you did wax in a back and forth motion, you would still be adding swirls anyway. Make sure you applicator pads are clean and that the towels are microfiber.

Thanks bro.. Beleive me if i see a speck of dirt or anything i get a new pad or towel.. I'm pretty **** when it comes to car care..
Old 06-04-07, 08:12 PM
amorphous
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tuan92129
swirl marks are only put in by a high speed buffer can't be put in any other way. Scratching the paint is a different thing with a circular motion when waxing. Me I personally go in a back and forth motion along the whole car, if I am putting in scratches they just blend in. Doing circular only uses more effort and you take a risk of putting in scratches.
Old 06-04-07, 08:57 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by amorphous
swirl marks are only put in by a high speed buffer can't be put in any other way. Scratching the paint is a different thing with a circular motion when waxing. Me I personally go in a back and forth motion along the whole car, if I am putting in scratches they just blend in. Doing circular only uses more effort and you take a risk of putting in scratches.
Bzzzt! Wrong. You can easily induce swirl marks with dirty washing mitts, towels etc. Drive your car through a few car washes that use cloth or dry with towels and you will have swirls too. Using a dirty applicator will cause swirls or scratches no matter what direction you use.

Rotary buffers are notorious for causing holograms in the hands of inexperienced amateurs.

Use new or clean wash mitts, MF towels and applicators and it makes no difference what direction you rub because you will not cause swirls with them.
Old 06-04-07, 11:02 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not at all to pile on, but Jim's post is totally spot-on.

You might be amazed at how little wax (or sealant) you need. Anything more than a very light coat is a waste - you'll just wipe it off as dried residue. There's no work involved in waxing, other than the mental exercise of using as little product as needed. That also makes residue removal that much easier.
Old 06-05-07, 12:59 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i do it in an X motion pattern
Old 06-05-07, 02:34 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zymol recommend back and forth
Old 06-05-07, 04:38 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by harleydjce
Zymol recommend back and forth
I think thats what i'll try...
Old 06-06-07, 07:44 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

P21S instructs you to do circular motion... Do what works for you. Try both and see which results are best.
Old 06-06-07, 04:28 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by VroomVroom
Not at all to pile on, but Jim's post is totally spot-on.

You might be amazed at how little wax (or sealant) you need. Anything more than a very light coat is a waste - you'll just wipe it off as dried residue. There's no work involved in waxing, other than the mental exercise of using as little product as needed. That also makes residue removal that much easier.
very true.....super thin coat came out the best....... !