Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

To PC or not to PC..... that's the ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07 | 08:06 AM
tmag
Pole Position

Default To PC or not to PC..... that's the ?

Just wanted to see if anyone here that uses a PC still apply sealants like NXT by hand. I just tried my PC for the first time (on my runner first of course) and it seem that it just as easy if not easier to just hand apply and wipe NXT step. I was getting some light swirls when i used the PC with a sonus bonnett to remove the NXT. Was I just using too much NXT? I want to make sure before I use it on my Blk IS.
Old 06-06-07 | 08:33 AM
GSteg
Rookie

The advantage of using a PC for wax is that you apply a thin layer of wax. By hand, you generally apply more wax on the paint. It's more constant with a PC.

I apply wax with the PC for the sake of myself. At the end of the day, waxing by hand gives me a muscular right arm while my left arm isn't the same .

Are you putting the bonnet over the OEM PC's foam pad?
Old 06-06-07 | 08:38 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by tmag
Just wanted to see if anyone here that uses a PC still apply sealants like NXT by hand. I just tried my PC for the first time (on my runner first of course) and it seem that it just as easy if not easier to just hand apply and wipe NXT step. I was getting some light swirls when i used the PC with a sonus bonnett to remove the NXT. Was I just using too much NXT? I want to make sure before I use it on my Blk IS.

What speed are you running when you're applying and removing sealant?
Old 06-06-07 | 09:04 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

I always apply topcoats by hand. Other folks are more efficient with the PC, so see what works best for you. After polishing I'm tired of dragging around the power cord and holding up the machine. Plus, working by hand allows me to inspect my work more closely. Finally, I find that I can apply a very light coat of wax/sealant by hand more easily than with the PC. That's the key thing. Topcoats require no work - you're just applying a light coat to bond with the finish. If you find that setup time is overly long or that you see hazing or clumping when removing the product, both are signs that you've used too much.
Old 06-06-07 | 11:53 AM
tmag
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
What speed are you running when you're applying and removing sealant?
I was applying at setting "3" and removing at "5".
Old 06-06-07 | 12:04 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
The advantage of using a PC for wax is that you apply a thin layer of wax. By hand, you generally apply more wax on the paint. It's more constant with a PC.

I apply wax with the PC for the sake of myself. At the end of the day, waxing by hand gives me a muscular right arm while my left arm isn't the same .

Are you putting the bonnet over the OEM PC's foam pad?
I know what you mean about the unven arm workout. I was just so exited about using the new toy that I didn't realized it till this morning. But I was using the bonnet over the orange sonus (I guess it's a cutting pad) from the sonus pad kit.
Old 06-06-07 | 12:05 PM
jfelbab

It will work either way but I prefer to apply LSP's by hand. I'm probably old school. I've owned my PC of 11 years and have used it to apply LSP's but I just find I like the therapy of applying and removing LSPs by hand.

A side benefit is that my PC pads are easier to clean when I don't have sealant or wax in them. Polish washes out easily and sealant does not come out as easily.
Old 06-06-07 | 03:34 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

I apply an LSP by PC (LC black pad) and remove by hand. As GSteg mentioned, you get a thin, even layer when applying by pc. It's also easier to remove when the layer is thin.