Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Wax

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07, 03:11 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax

Guys i want know how often i should wax my car. And what is the proper method to do it. Also what brand name wax is good.
Old 06-06-07, 03:55 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a pretty vague question. I think you are trying to ask how to properly maintain your paint or how to polish...

Proper maintenance usually starts with a wash, clay (if necessary), polish to clean the paint, Sealant or glaze for protection, then wax for cosmetic beauty.

Check out Autopia or Autogeek to get a better idea.

If its just wax products you're looking for, here's my pick...Zymol
Old 06-06-07, 04:04 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tod071
That's a pretty vague question. I think you are trying to ask how to properly maintain your paint or how to polish...

Proper maintenance usually starts with a wash, clay (if necessary), polish to clean the paint, Sealant or glaze for protection, then wax for cosmetic beauty.

Check out Autopia or Autogeek to get a better idea.

If its just wax products you're looking for, here's my pick...Zymol

what do i use tfor polish to clean the paint and glaze for protection. And when i wax the car i know the sun cant be hitting the wax. And mostly a circular motion is used. but how often is wax needed??
Old 06-06-07, 04:15 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Chemical Guys and Poorboys products are pretty economical and easy to use. Optimum and Poorboys can be used in the sun. Pinnacle XMT products are made for machine use, if you'll be using one.

Usually wax is done when the beading is gone. Depending on which product, every 1-3 months.

What condition is your car in? If it is still new, you could probably wash>clay> and use Zaino products. Fairly simple to use, but heavily dependent on a clean paint surface. Because it is a polymer sealant, it will enhance the surface underneath. If your paint is clean, it will shine and give a nice gloss. If its dirty with imperfections, it will enhance that too.

If you are looking to maintain the car yourself, you might want to consider first having it polished and cleaned by a pro detailer. Then, you can maintain it yourself after that. That's what I did before I got my pc (porter cable, dual-action orbital polisher).
Old 06-06-07, 04:36 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I used NXT for my IS (I am not extremely demanding and happy with the results from a ~$15 bottle OTC wax)

And probably will wax it 3-4 times a year (my car is garaged).

next time I will clay the car first before waxing.....
Old 06-06-07, 06:12 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kickin8
I used NXT for my IS (I am not extremely demanding and happy with the results from a ~$15 bottle OTC wax)

And probably will wax it 3-4 times a year (my car is garaged).

next time I will clay the car first before waxing.....
well i used the NXT and im not happy at all. what i did was i washed my car, dried it, and then i waxed it with NXT. That i was about a week ago. A couple of days ago i saw my car in the sun and it looked like i had marks on my car similar to the swirl makrs except these were in to way i put on the wax. I didnt put on the wax in a swirling motion i put it on back and forth and that how those marks look like. I am soo mad i got my car about 2 months ago. Im thinking since the car is a bit drity now it will go away when i wash it. Maybe i put a little too much wax on and it probably didnt come off when i removed it. IM going to wash it tomorrow and see if there ne change.
Old 06-06-07, 09:13 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
well i used the NXT and im not happy at all. what i did was i washed my car, dried it, and then i waxed it with NXT. That i was about a week ago. A couple of days ago i saw my car in the sun and it looked like i had marks on my car similar to the swirl makrs except these were in to way i put on the wax. I didnt put on the wax in a swirling motion i put it on back and forth and that how those marks look like. I am soo mad i got my car about 2 months ago. Im thinking since the car is a bit drity now it will go away when i wash it. Maybe i put a little too much wax on and it probably didnt come off when i removed it. IM going to wash it tomorrow and see if there ne change.
There is nothing in NXT that could cause marring of the paint. You may have used a dirty applicator or perhaps your washing and drying tools are the issue. You should also probably have clayed the paint before using NXT. NXT is designed to be used on perfect or nearly perfect paint.

If you have swirl marks using NXT won't get rid of them. For that you will need a polish. You might try washing and then in a small 2x2 area apply another coat of NXT and see what it looks like in the sun. If you have swirl marks you will need to try a polish. Give ScratchX a try in that same 2x2 foot area and see if you can remove the swirls. If either of the above is successful you can then continue with the rest of the car knowing what the result will be.

Be sure to use new applicator pads and new microfiber towels to buff with.
Old 06-07-07, 02:10 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jfelbab
There is nothing in NXT that could cause marring of the paint. You may have used a dirty applicator or perhaps your washing and drying tools are the issue. You should also probably have clayed the paint before using NXT. NXT is designed to be used on perfect or nearly perfect paint.

If you have swirl marks using NXT won't get rid of them. For that you will need a polish. You might try washing and then in a small 2x2 area apply another coat of NXT and see what it looks like in the sun. If you have swirl marks you will need to try a polish. Give ScratchX a try in that same 2x2 foot area and see if you can remove the swirls. If either of the above is successful you can then continue with the rest of the car knowing what the result will be.

Be sure to use new applicator pads and new microfiber towels to buff with.

Thanks for all the inforamtion. I will try what u have told me. And can u please let me know the steps i should take when i wash my car. Like 1) wash car 2)polish. This is an exaple but can u tell me what i have to do and what i have to use to keep the paint clean.
Old 06-07-07, 03:38 PM
jfelbab

Thanks for all the inforamtion. I will try what u have told me. And can u please let me know the steps i should take when i wash my car. Like 1) wash car 2)polish. This is an exaple but can u tell me what i have to do and what i have to use to keep the paint clean.
I can tell you what I do. I've developed my "best practices" over 46 years of detailing cars. But, bear in mind that there are a lot of right answers and a lot of good products to choose from. This is what works for me and I'm of the opinion that you need to find what fits your needs and stick with it. If you are **** about how your car looks then this process should work for you as well as it does for me.

Basically every 3-4 months you need to do a complete detail. This entails a Wash, Clay, Polish, (optional Glaze) and Wax. Once you have done a complete detail you maintain by washing every week or two and perhaps applying a booster wax after every other wash.

Washing - An occasional run through a touchless Laser Automatic Wash won't damage your finish during periods of inclement weather but I would avoid any cloth automatic wash or washes that towel dry your car. Wash it yourself if you can using a good car wash like Meguiar's Gold Class Wash or NXT Tech Wash. Use two 5 gallon buckets and grit guards. Buy new sheepskin wash mitts every few months and keep them spotless. Don't use the same mitt that you wash your car with to wash your wheels and rocker panels. Dry your vehicle using an open hose and low pressure to sheet off as much water as you can then gently dry with waffle-weave microfiber towels. Always, always wash your car in the shade when the paint is cool to the touch or you will develop water spots.

Clay - Even new cars benefit from clay. Lightly draw your fingers over the paint on your hood after it has been washed and dried. If it doesn't feel as smooth as glass you should clay. Look for a clay kit in an automotive store. I prefer Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit but others also make good kits. Cut your clay bar into two or three pieces and put the unused pieces in a baggie. If you drop a piece throw it away and fetch one of the unused pieces. Use lots of the supplied QD lube. Do a small 2' x 2' section at a time and feel with your fingers to insure that the contaminants are gone. As the clay gets dirty fold it and re-kneed it and continue the process. Clay your paint then move on and do your windows and finally your wheels. Toss the clay piece when you have finished.

Cleaning - Use a paint cleaner or a combination cleaner/polish product to remove grime that is imbedded in the paint pores. I like Meguiars #80 (Speed Glaze) for this but the Megs Deep Crystal #1 Cleaner and #2 Polish (Glaze) are also fine. On a brand new car these cleaning and glazing steps might not be needed.

Waxing - Now that your finish is looking good you need to seal it to protect the look. If you live in a very hot area of the country, a polymer sealant is a better choice than a carnauba wax. Carnauba wax can evaporate in intense heat. While Zaino is a good choice it is not the only good choice. You might give Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax or Meguiar's #21 (Synthetic Sealant) a try. NXT Tech Wax is the #1 selling polymer sealant in the US and is available almost everywhere. It's wetlook shine is as good or better than any other product I've used. It does require more frequent application as the look fades after a couple months unless you use a booster wax. If you prefer the warm glow of a carnauba by all means use it. Meguair's Gold Class or their #26 High Tech Yellow Carnauba are great products.

A synthetic sealant is a great product for your wheels too. It resists brake dust and your wheels will stay clean longer and clean up easier if you wax them. Most wheels are painted and clear coated anyway so it is just like the paint on your car. Wheels do get pretty hot though so carnauba wax is not as effective as carnauba evaporates in heat where a polymer sealant does not.

You should also get a bottle of Quick Detailer to use to remove bird droppings, bugs or other messes as soon as they occur. Keep it in the car with a microfiber towel. Bird poo will often permanently etch your paint if not removed promptly. You can also use the Quick Detailer and a couple of microfibers to remove light dust from your paint.

NEWS FLASH!... On 5/14/07, Meguiar's released a new Quik Detailer and it is really something special. Ultimate Quik Detailer is like RainX for your paint. It repels water. It last a couple weeks and makes your paint super slick. This means dirt and bugs don't stick and rinse off easier.

Leather - I use a cleaner/conditioner at least monthly during the summer months to keep it clean and prevent it from drying out. Lexus sells great products for cleaning and conditioning your leather.

Interior - For interior detailing I prefer Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. This is a great product that doesn't add gloss or leave an oily residue. It leaves the interior looking like new. It doesn't make your dash glossy so that it is reflecting glare. This product also has UV protection.

Tires - Tires need a good cleaning too. I gently use my power washer to clean the tires and the wheel wells. I dress the tires with Meguiars Insane Shine and wipe off the excess 5-10 minutes after application for a new rubber look that lasts weeks. If you used a chemical tire or wheel cleaner don't forget to reapply the sealant to your rims again as it will be removed by the cleaner.

Glass, inside and out needs a good cleaner like Stoners Invisible Glass or Meguiar's NXT Glass Cleaner. Use a couple of microfibers for this cleaning to achieve streak free results.

Finally, I maintain the exterior with NXT Tech Spray Booster Wax after every other wash. This stuff goes on and off in about 20-25 minutes and leaves the paint slick with that freshly detailed look. You may also want to try using Meguiar's new Ultimate Quik Detailer for this step. The added slickness keeps dirt from sticking and makes the car almost self cleaning.

As a last note, swirls and cobwebs are easier to prevent than to remove. Everything that touches your paint can cause marring so be gentle and be sure to use impeccably clean or new towels and applicators.

Last edited by jfelbab; 06-07-07 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-07-07, 05:42 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

hey dude nice right up. Thanks for all the help and i will prin this out for refrence when i do get ready for detailing. But i have one more question. Swirls marks can go away if i get it detailed right?? im saying from a professional detailer.
Old 06-07-07, 06:05 PM
jfelbab

hey dude nice right up. Thanks for all the help and i will prin this out for refrence when i do get ready for detailing. But i have one more question. Swirls marks can go away if i get it detailed right?? im saying from a professional detailer.
Yes, they should go away unless they are deep scratches. Swirl marks are really just lite scratches. To remove them you need to use a polish with abrasive cutting action. You grind down the paint around the swirls until all is totally smooth. You can also use products that visually make them disappear. Products that have a lot of oils and fillers level the surface and make them disappear...for a short time. Fillers and oils do evaporate and so the swirls will reappear.

If you don't have a lot of swirls you can remove them by hand with ScratchX. If you are into this detailing thing you can buy a Porter-Cable dual action polisher and remove them yourself. Swirls will come back if you don't use excellent applicators, towels and technique and will need to be removed over and over again. That is why a PC is such a good investment. It makes removing swirls 10 times faster than by hand. It also opens up better polishing products that yield better results. For the cost of a professional detail you can purchase the PC and polishes needed to do your car dozens of times.
Old 06-07-07, 07:04 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Jfelbab, that was a good write-up. I've benefited in the past from your detailing posts. But you say to stay clear of those cloth car washes. I've been going to a new car wash that has one of those Laser Automatic Wash. For the most part I've been using it but sometimes there's too much people waiting for it and I sometime go and use the soft cloth car wash. But what's the drawback of the cloth one car washes?? Thanks.
Old 06-07-07, 07:06 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I can vouch for the Meguiars Ultimate Quick detailer. I love the sheeting action. Works great!

In fact, I'm hoping Meguiars would release a gallon size UQD because I really love the stuff!
Old 06-07-07, 07:28 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Jfelbab, that was a good write-up. I've benefited in the past from your detailing posts. But you say to stay clear of those cloth car washes. I've been going to a new car wash that has one of those Laser Automatic Wash. For the most part I've been using it but sometimes there's too much people waiting for it and I sometime go and use the soft cloth car wash. But what's the drawback of the cloth one car washes?? Thanks.
Depending on the type of car wash you go to, those cloth washes can collect dirt from many cars and the cloths are not as clean and free from grit as your own wash mitt would be. The risk is swirls. Some cars are more prone to show them than others but the risk of swirls increases as the amount of contact increases. That's why I can cautiously recommend the Laserwash touchless auto wash. There is no contact with the paint either when washing or drying. While these Laser Washes do use pretty strong soap, they don't remove your wax, at least right away. Constant use may require more frequent waxing but they won't instill swirls in your paint.

That said the Laser Washes don't clean as good as a contact wash and may require some Quik Detailer and microfiber treatment to remove some remaining dirt film.

These Laser Washes work much more effectively when your car is freshly waxed or you have applied something like the new Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer. The slicker you make the paint the easier it is to release the dirt.
Old 06-08-07, 01:15 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Good write up. I basically use the same exact products as you do. However I use Mequiars Show Car Glaze #7 instead of Speed Glaze #80. I also used to layer Gold Class or High Tech Carnuba on top of the NXT, but I'm going to see how I like the mirror/reflective shine of NXT compared to the deeper gloss/glow of carnuba. Havent heard of the Ultimate Quik Detailer and I will DEFINITELY be picking that up ASAP. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Wax