Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Diffrent Car care products looking for good ones

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-07, 01:50 PM
KINGLS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diffrent Car care products looking for good ones

Ive tried all diffrent kinds of wax and to be honest im not impressed. When i initially got the car i used mothers Clay bar and Mothers Cleaner wax i then applied a coat of mothers carnuba wax and Mcguiers Scratch X to fill in some of the scratches. I then sealed it with Eagle ONE nano wax which has an amazing shine. Now about 4 weeks later the car looks the same as when i got it. CRAP What products out there are the toughest Wax for weather and uv protection and delivers the nicest shine. also what other tips do you guys have for keeping the car looking brand new.
Old 06-16-07, 04:10 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

You should try Zaino. Not cheap though. Check out the images http://tinyurl.com/rjx7b . Many other vehicle forum (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc) worship this stuff.
Old 06-16-07, 04:17 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

also what other tips do you guys have for keeping the car looking brand new.
I'm not sure if you have a Porter Cable polisher ("PC") or not but getting the best gloss and most reflective surfaces is mostly in prepping the clearcoat to be as smooth as possible.

My routine is wash-clay-wash-polish-quick detail-apply sealant X2. Works well.
Old 06-16-07, 06:40 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Prep is the key. Don't rely on filling the imperfections because, as you experienced, a few washes later the car doesn't look as nice. Instead use a machine polisher to remove the defects then you can lock in that appearance with the wax/sealant of your choice. Remember that over 90% of the final appearance of your finish is in the prep and process.
Old 06-17-07, 12:46 AM
KINGLS430
Pole Position

Ok ive decided to go with Ziano and money is no object can somone tell me what i need to buy and how i need to step by step apply it and maitnence it so it looks amazing all the time like i said money is no object.
Old 06-17-07, 02:17 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The key to any product is paint prep. Whether it be Zaino, Pinnacle, Meguiars, etc, any sealant or wax will enhance the paint that lies beneath. If you have swirls, scratches, or any imperfections, they will enhance it.

If you don't have a machine, I'd recommend getting the LS detailed by a pro and maintaining it thereafter. If you want product recommendations, there are quite a few, but Chemical Guys, Pinnacle/Wolfgang, and Optimum are just a few high-end ones.

Zaino is a good product that gives a nice reflective, clean, shiny look. But lacks depth and wetness. I've used Zaino for 7 years before I found the pc. The best combination I've found so far is Wolfgangs Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, topped with Chemical Guys Petes 53 carnauba wax.
Old 06-17-07, 11:49 AM
KINGLS430
Pole Position

Where can i find this stuff online do you know?
Old 06-17-07, 11:53 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KINGLS430
Where can i find this stuff online do you know?
PakShak carries most of them. The reason why I choose PakShak over Autogeek is that Pakshak carries Chemical Guys, autogeek doesn't. So, you can pretty much get everything from PakShak.com.
Old 06-18-07, 10:47 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The detailer's mantra: excellent results are 90% process and 10% product. That said, along with PakShak, there are dozens of great online resellers. Check out Autopia, Autogeek, ProperAutoCare, and for what it's worth, my favorites: Excel Detail and Detailer's Domain.

While there are many products out there with fillers, ScratchX is actually a mild polish - meaning it has abrasives. If I read your post correctly, you applied this after applying a topcoat...which essentially just removed the topcoat. Like any polish, it needs to break down to be effective, which means some elbow grease when working by hand.

In any case, your finish should look (and feel) really good before applying a wax or sealant. This means claying to remove surface contaminants and polishing to remove swirls and light scratches are where the work is really done. Following that, if durability is key for you, I'd focus on a sealant, and if you want a bit more wetness and reflection you can apply a carnauba wax.
Old 06-18-07, 02:37 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

Some sealants and waxes do have fillers that can help hide swirl marks (Zaino Z-5 Pro is good in this respect) but ideally you do want to polish the clearcoat. I also strongly suggest claying which can improve the polishing process immensely.

Waxes I like include: P21S, Pinnacle Souveran, and Natty's Blue or Regular.
Sealants I like include: the pre-VOC Klasse AIO (great when followed by Souveran or P21S-I don't like SG due to murkiness) and anything Zaino Z-2 Pro or Z-5 Pro.
Old 06-18-07, 02:42 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

Z-5 can look very wet when applied properly:

Old 06-18-07, 03:08 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Slurp! Outstanding job on that Porsche - the finish is STUNNING.
Old 06-18-07, 04:06 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

Thanks a lot Jerry. I'm real proud of that one. We may enter it in a car show in September. The owner is replacing some door sills soon but the car is in great shape.
Old 06-18-07, 05:30 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

if money is no object then zymol vintage ftw!
Old 06-19-07, 05:08 AM
dandg
Driver

If money is no object pehaps have a guy like this do it.Of course he charges over 10K!The wax he uses is 14K a tub.

(http://www.vertar.com/zymol/zymol/page-1)

Amazing what some guys will spend to keep the bird crap off.It is a good tutorial on how to do a top shelf job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkli4...elated&search=

Quick Reply: Diffrent Car care products looking for good ones