Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What to use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-07, 10:14 PM
fakebun
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to use?

Hi guys,

Ever since i bought my car i've been washing it with just water and a microfiber towel. But it's been a year now and I really want to make it glamorous =)

What are the steps of a complete car wash and waxing?
Any advices or tips I need to be aware of?
The proper car-washing habits? if there are any.

What are the some of the products you guys suggest? I read it off one of the polls on CL that most people use Meguiar NXT. Where can i buy it? I found something like and iono if its correct.

Thx alot guys, your input will help my baby look great for this hawt summer =)
Old 07-07-07, 07:16 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by fakebun
Hi guys,

Ever since i bought my car i've been washing it with just water and a microfiber towel. But it's been a year now and I really want to make it glamorous =)

What are the steps of a complete car wash and waxing?
Any advices or tips I need to be aware of?
The proper car-washing habits? if there are any.

What are the some of the products you guys suggest? I read it off one of the polls on CL that most people use Meguiar NXT. Where can i buy it? I found something like and iono if its correct.

Thx alot guys, your input will help my baby look great for this hawt summer =)
I posted this in response to a similar question, perhaps you will find it of some use.

---

Washing - An occasional run through a touchless Laser Automatic Wash won't damage your finish during periods of inclement weather. Wash it yourself if you can using a good car wash like Meguiar's Gold Class Wash or NXT Tech Wash. Use two buckets and grit guard inserts in the bottom of the buckets. Buy new sheepskin wash mitts every few months and keep them spotless. Don't use the same mitt that you wash your car with to wash your wheels and rocker panels. Dry your vehicle using an open hose and low pressure to sheet off as much water as you can then gently dry with waffle-weave microfiber towels. Always wash your car in the shade when the paint is cool to the touch or you will develop water spots. I usually wipe down the car with a Quick Detailer after washing and drying to insure there are no waterspots or mineral deposits remaining on the paint.

Clay - Even new cars benefit from clay. Gently draw your fingers over the paint on your hood after it has been washed and dried. If it doesn't feel as smooth as glass you should clay. Look for a clay kit in an automotive store. I prefer Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit as it comes with an excellent microfiber towel but others also make good kits.

Cleaning - Use a paint cleaner or a combination cleaner/polish product to remove grime that is imbedded in the paint pores. I like Meguiars #80 for this but the Megs Deep Crystal #1 Cleaner and #2 Polish are also fine. On a brand new car this cleaning step likely would not be needed, however, a glaze will make your paint look wet like it was just dipped in a bucket.

Waxing - Now that your finish is looking good you need to seal it to protect the look. If you live in a very hot area of the country, a polymer sealant is probably a better choice than a carnauba wax. Carnauba wax can evaporate in intense heat. While Zaino is a good choice it is not the only good choice. You might give Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax a try or seek out Meguiar's #21 synthetic sealant. NXT Tech Wax is the #1 selling polymer sealant in the US and is available almost everywhere (Target, K-Mart, all the Auto supply chains, etc.)

You should also get a bottle of Quick Detailer to use to remove bird droppings or other messes as soon as they occur. Keep it in the car with a microfiber towel. Bird poo will often permanently etch your paint if not removed promptly. You can also use the Quick Detailer and a couple of microfibers to remove light dust from your paint. I'd suggest looking for Meguiar's newly released Ultimate Quick Detailer.

Leather - I'd use a cleaner/conditioner at least monthly during the summer months to keep it clean and prevent it from drying out. Lexus sells great products for cleaning and conditioning leather.

Interior - For interior detailing I prefer Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. This is a great product that doesn't add gloss or leave an oily residue. It leaves the interior looking like new. Many like 303 Aerospace Protectant for this purpose as well.

Tires - Tires need a good cleaning too. I gently use my power washer to clean the tires and the wheel wells. I dress the tires with Meguiars Insane Shine and wipe off the excess 5-10 minutes after application for a new rubber look that lasts a couple weeks. If you used a chemical tire or wheel cleaner don't forget to reapply the sealant to your rims again.

Glass - Glass, inside and out needs a good cleaner like Stoners Invisible Glass or Meguiar's NXT Glass Cleaner. Use a couple of microfibers for this cleaning to achieve streak free results. Use one MF damp and one to wipe dry

Finally I maintain the exterior with NXT Tech Spray Booster Wax after every other wash. This stuff goes on and off in about 20-25 minutes and leaves the paint very slick with that freshly detailed look. The added slickness keeps dirt from sticking and makes the car almost self cleaning.

One last but important note, swirls and cobwebs are easier to prevent than to remove. Everything that touches your paint can cause marring so be gentle.
Old 07-07-07, 12:54 PM
fakebun
Rookie

WOW thanks alot for the info =)

where can I find these products? brick and mortar store preferred thx!
Old 07-07-07, 04:05 PM
MShybrid
Pole Position

One of the best carwash products available (IMO) is Duragloss 901. It can be picked up OTC at any NAPA, Carquest or a few other locations. Do a quick Duragloss search and they show which stores carry their products.
Duragloss actually makes several products that you may be interested in....each is a wax on wax off type product and gives great results.
Old 07-07-07, 08:24 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Another shoutout for Duragloss. I absolutely love their shampoo.

Great info above, and if you're really into this stuff I recommend checking out the dedicated detailing sites out there. autopia.org and autogeek.net are two personal favorites.
Old 07-08-07, 02:49 PM
MShybrid
Pole Position

Duragloss is one of the most overlooked brands on the market.It may be the fact that they can only be picked up OTC at certain locations. I'm sure if it was sold at the local Wallyworld it's popularity would grow by leaps and bounds.
Old 07-08-07, 07:08 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was looking at my shelf unit in the garage today. Kind of interesting - the only product on my shelves that can be purchased OTC is Meguiar's QD Spray. Everything else is a boutique brand - even the mitts, applicators and towels. I guess I've become a brand bigot.
Old 07-16-07, 08:07 PM
exceldetail
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for Duragloss products.........
Heres some #111

Heres #105
Old 07-17-07, 09:20 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

NXT is good.....if you want something OTC and less than $20, NXT is a good choice....
Old 07-19-07, 08:23 PM
Insedanity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jfelbab
If you used a chemical tire or wheel cleaner don't forget to reapply the sealant to your rims again.
Apply sealant to the rims? I don't know much about detailing, please elaborate on this for me if you have the time.
Old 07-19-07, 08:40 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Insedanity
Apply sealant to the rims? I don't know much about detailing, please elaborate on this for me if you have the time.
Your wheels are probably painted and clear-coated. They should be treated just like other paint. Wax doesn't hold up the the heat as well as a sealant and your wheels get quite hot. Using a sealant on your wheels makes brake dust and other grime easier to remove. The wheels stay cleaner longer just like a freshly sealed car paint does.

Jim
Old 07-19-07, 08:59 PM
Insedanity
Pole Position

Thanks mang.