Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

3M Clear Bra application; am I too anal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-07 | 09:25 AM
josta
Driver School Candidate

Default 3M Clear Bra application; am I too ****?

I had the 3M "clear bra" installed yesterday through my local Lexus dealer and paid nearly $800 for the front bumper, front half of the hood, and the mirrors.

Here is a picture I took this morning; you can see where one spot has unusual "rippling" and the cut line isn't quite straight, almost as if this spot was overworked with the heat gun or something. Should I complain or should I let it slide?
Attached Thumbnails 3M Clear Bra application; am I too anal?-dsc00188.jpg  
Old 07-07-07 | 10:00 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

i think you should definitely take it back....since you paid 800 bucks for it...
Old 07-07-07 | 10:32 AM
rkb43
Pole Position

I would take it back and have it redone. I would not accept it that way.
Old 07-07-07 | 04:07 PM
MShybrid
Pole Position

For $800.00.........they would definately be replacing mine
Old 07-07-07 | 04:39 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Yup, take it back and get it replaced.
Old 07-07-07 | 05:11 PM
dentpusher
Pole Position

That is a bad install plain and simple.
Old 07-07-07 | 08:22 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

I agree. Some bubbling is to be expected, and will disappear over a few days time, but the problem area you pinpointed, as well as the uneven application, is just unforgivable.

Personally, I'd either insist on a sizeable discount (or other incentives...maybe film behind the door handles, under the gas tank opening, and a piece on the rear bumper just under the trunk opening) or a complete refund. $800 is a premium price for the pieces you had installed. Not to say it's too expensive, but what you're paying for is installation expertise and most certainly QA effort. These guys should've caught the problems instantly and fixed them. For you to discover them on your own just indicates that they either don't know what they're doing or they just don't care.

Sorry to sound harsh on this. I know a couple of guys who do this stuff for a living. They're more **** than I am and poor jobs like this reflect negatively on the industry as a whole.
Old 07-07-07 | 08:37 PM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

You were raped by dealership and as part of the service you are provided as you are not satisfied you need it done correctly.
Old 07-08-07 | 03:31 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

any one know where is a good place to get 3M tape? Also is it pretty simple to install. i was thinking about doing it myself. any recommendations?? etc...?
Old 07-08-07 | 05:44 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Definately take it back, for that price it should be flawless, plain and simple
Old 07-08-07 | 08:35 PM
tmag
Pole Position

problem with this question is that your posting a question about being **** on a forum of a bunch of **** (to some degree) people including myself . But with respect to your first question, I agree with my **** brothers and sisters here and would take it back to the dealer. And please tell me that for that price they did also cover your lights right?
Old 07-09-07 | 02:06 AM
13loody
Pole Position

I'm going to have to agree with everyone else thus far. I would definitely take that back and have it redone. I suppose you could ask for a discount instead, but I highly doubt they will offer anything worthwhile. I think $800 is quite a bit for the hood and front bumper. $800 is what my friend would have paid for the front, hood, and fenders to be covered completely and wrapped around for a "seamless" look. Then again, it helps finding out who does it for the dealership to begin with Also, most places will offer a discount if you told them you went to the car show they were showcasing at.

@dhamaka127 - If you're going to do it yourself, I would recommend having a buddy or two to help out. It will seriously make it a lot easier to stretch over the hood and whatnot.
Old 07-09-07 | 06:35 PM
feysulex
Rookie

Take it back!!! No way would i accept that. For that kind of money its rediculous. ALl they are going to do is have the rep come back and do it over.

I just got it done and it looks great.
Old 07-09-07 | 07:17 PM
nrsk4u
Pole Position

I would have to dido everyone here, As an **** owner myself....which dealer in CA did you take it to by the way???
Old 07-10-07 | 08:02 AM
josta
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the responses! I called Desert Lexus, who then contacted the 3M dealer/installer who put it on the GX. I told the installer that I was quite unhappy with the installation and that I'd like to send them a photo of the problem area.

The installer said that was not at all necessary to send the photo, that the fact I was unhappy was all they needed to know. He said the next time I would like to bring the car in to the Lexus dealer, just let him know and he would set it up, including the loaner car. They would then re-do any areas that I was unhappy with.

I think this is quite fair.

John

Quick Reply: 3M Clear Bra application; am I too anal?